Applying for a fellowship and a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indecisiveresident

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! It's probably not recommended, but I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows about anyone who applied for residencies and fellowships. Since applying and interviewing for fellowships occurs at Midyear and before residency interviews, I'd like to try for a fellowship and if that doesn't work out, try for a residency? I'm torn about liking both paths in pharmacy because I like them both for different reasons and don't want to lose an opportunity by not trying for one.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of one. Didn't get into fellowship got into residency. Make sure you want industry because you commit to them first.

^ That might be me. I applied to only one fellowship I thought I'd be competitive for. Did not end up working out. Got into my first choice residency. You can apply to both just consider the following

1) Fellow interviews occur during midyear (PPS) and are very time intensive. You essentially need to win interest from your company (you'll know if you are) before you can even get to a paper application.

2) Fellowships and residencies are completely different applications. Consider this for ASHP accredited residencies that require letters of rec** (I asterisk because it's really a series of questions that letter writers answer) vs traditional letters that are written and submitted by your letter writer (fellowships and non accredited residencies). If you have one letter writer doing both, that could be very time consuming.

3) It is very easy to tell by a CV alone what a person's interests are. Make sure your CV is tailored to the position you are applying for (that should really go without saying but its easy to miss this sometimes).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2) Fellowships and residencies are completely different applications. Consider this for ASHP accredited residencies that require letters of rec** (I asterisk because it's really a series of questions that letter writers answer) vs traditional letters that are written and submitted by your letter writer (fellowships and non accredited residencies). If you have one letter writer doing both, that could be very time consuming.

Oh wow, I never realized this! (Kind of makes me think about whether this is why my preceptor hasn't started a letter for me haha)
If I'm asking for a letter of recommendation, should I specify that it's just a series of questions to answer? I'm going to be asking for a letter from a pharmacist unfamiliar with PhORCAS and I don't want her to write a whole letter if it's just a series of questions!

Regarding the actual post, when I did an industry rotation one of the fellows mentioned that her friend applied for both fellowships and residencies and got really stressed out and became sick because of it. Since applying for either can be stressful on its own, really consider if that's the best option for you.

Oh wow, I never realized this! (Kind of makes me think about whether this is why my preceptor hasn't started a letter for me haha)
If I'm asking for a letter of recommendation, should I specify that it's just a series of questions to answer? I'm going to be asking for a letter from a pharmacist unfamiliar with PhORCAS and I don't want her to write a whole letter if it's just a series of questions!

Regarding the actual post, when I did an industry rotation one of the fellows mentioned that her friend applied for both fellowships and residencies and got really stressed out and became sick because of it. Since applying for either can be stressful on its own, really consider if that's the best option for you.

Yeah, you can definitely let your letter writers know to expect that kind of format from PhorCAS or at least that it won't be a traditional letter.

Reactions: 1 user