Applying for Fall 2010 (formerly the Class of 2014!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, folks, pharmacy schools around the country are starting classes and the class of 2013 are officially in.

Now it's our turn!

I figured this would be a good place for getting an idea of who's in the same stage of readiness for getting in and just shooting the breeze.

I know a lot of us just took the PCAT, and more still are signed up for October.

Now I have to figure out how that whole PharmCas thing works... Weird...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it's about that time. I just came back from the hospital I will be continuing my volunteering at. I just had my TB skin test done. I also just quit my job of 2 years yesterday and will begin working in an independent pharmacy starting next Tuesday. I am currently studying for the PTCE and the PCAT for October 17. :)

What schools are you guys going to be applying to? I wanna see who I will be competing with.:D

For me, I will be applying to UIW, U of H, UT-Austin.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come to CA! Live in my house in North Stockton and we can part... err... study all night long.

Applying to UoP, USC and UCSF. If I get into UoP, it's a 3-year prog., so technically I'll be C/O 2013 still. Can I post here anyway? :D

Come to CA! Live in my house in North Stockton and we can part... err... study all night long.

Applying to UoP, USC and UCSF. If I get into UoP, it's a 3-year prog., so technically I'll be C/O 2013 still. Can I post here anyway? :D

PARTY OVER HERE, WOOT WOOT!!!

Stockton, CA...never thought about living that far west. What about earthquakes?

PARTY OVER HERE, WOOT WOOT!!!

Stockton, CA...never thought about living that far west. What about earthquakes?

I have lived in CA for the best part of my life... So all the years between 0 and current besides 4 years in Army installations/overseas and 3 years in Buenos Aires. I have experienced only a few earthquakes, the most notable one in my memory was the '89 quake in SF when a couple of the bridges, Carquinez and Bay, I think, collapsed partially and such. After-shocks all the way to the central valley.

But aside from that, only tremors here 'n there. And besides the threat of earthquake and fire (in some rural areas, like Santa Cruz I don't consider metropolitan, some do I guess), we're devoid of natural disasters. No real rain to speak of, no tornados or anything, no rolling thunder or lightning, no real extreme weather either way. Winter is mild, summer is kinda hot but not too bad, the other seasons are perfect.

I dunno what your stats look like but you might as well toss some apps to non-rolling schools... UoP is still accepting apps until Nov., so you might as well even apply there.

I'm applying to at least 7 pharmacy schools (listed below) and possibly two or three others to increase my chances. As I will graduate with my B.S. in Chemical Science in 12/09, I really need to get into the Fall 2010 class.

Look forward to watching how everyone does throughout this process.

Look forward to watching how everyone does throughout this process.

It's really amazing actually watching everyone go through the same thing, sharing joy and sadness, getting ready for the interviews and then stressing over delay in acceptance letters.

Some of the people I virtually "met" on SDN are now not only my classmates, but my neighbors even (I can see one SDNer's window from my window :laugh: ) and even friends! That's exactly why you want to be nice and kind to your potential future classmates - because connections you make here with transcend into your offline life.

With all of that rambling, I wanted to wish luck to the next year's class! This may seem like the most stressful time in your life, but it is also the happiest. I testify. ;) :thumbup: :love:

I have lived in CA for the best part of my life... So all the years between 0 and current besides 4 years in Army installations/overseas and 3 years in Buenos Aires. I have experienced only a few earthquakes, the most notable one in my memory was the '89 quake in SF when a couple of the bridges, Carquinez and Bay, I think, collapsed partially and such. After-shocks all the way to the central valley.

But aside from that, only tremors here 'n there. And besides the threat of earthquake and fire (in some rural areas, like Santa Cruz I don't consider metropolitan, some do I guess), we're devoid of natural disasters. No real rain to speak of, no tornados or anything, no rolling thunder or lightning, no real extreme weather either way. Winter is mild, summer is kinda hot but not too bad, the other seasons are perfect.

I dunno what your stats look like but you might as well toss some apps to non-rolling schools... UoP is still accepting apps until Nov., so you might as well even apply there.

Mmm...It does sounds tempting. I think I might have to look into that. I have seen too many hurricanes and earthquakes in my lifetime but I woul choose a hurricane over an earthquake any day. What is the tuition at UoP like? What about OOS students? What is the acceptance rate?

I'm using the Hazelwood Act to pay for pharmacy school, so I'm sticking with Texas.

But man... California is tempting. Even if it is overpriced :D

Big D, I'm only applying to UT, A&M, Tech, and Houston. Sent my PCAT to the first three.

I guess no major competition between us:p. What's the Hazelwood Act? Hey, I didn't know you live in Corp. Ch. in TX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmm...It does sounds tempting. I think I might have to look into that. I have seen too many hurricanes and earthquakes in my lifetime but I woul choose a hurricane over an earthquake any day. What is the tuition at UoP like? What about OOS students? What is the acceptance rate?

Tuition is 52, 52, 35 not incl. room & board and it's only 3 years instead of 4.

For OOS: 6% in 2008. .06 * 200 = 12. So, not very many, LOL. But, who knows, maybe they only got 16 OOS apps to begin w/. That's not disclosed.

Tuition is 52, 52, 35 not incl. room & board and it's only 3 years instead of 4.

For OOS: 6% in 2008. .06 * 200 = 12. So, not very many, LOL. But, who knows, maybe they only got 16 OOS apps to begin w/. That's not disclosed.

Well it's definitely something to consider. Based on my stats, how competitive would I be? You can see my stats #2 in this thread.

I am shooting for calss of 2014 too...if I don't get in I'll be devastated but I won't give up. Schools that I am applying to :

UMKC
U of OK ( both locations)
U of New Mexico
U of Nevada
some of the pharmacy schools in CA
U of Arkansas
and maybe U of New England

I'm so nervous right now, I just have have have to get in!

Yeah, the only thing I am taking between now and the hopeful start of pharmacy school is German I this sem and German II next.

May I ask why you are only applying to 3 schools ?

Not that it's bad, but I'm always a strong proponent of expanding your options. Why not UCSD and Touro at least ?

May I ask why you are only applying to 3 schools ?

Not that it's bad, but I'm always a strong proponent of expanding your options. Why not UCSD and Touro at least ?

When I was doing my applications, Touro had not rec'd National accreditation, so I left it out. UCSD would've been a great option, but I really don't want to move to Southern California with my wife only applying to Nor Cal schools. I didn't only want to apply to 2 schools, though, so USC it was. I figured that if I applied to 4 schools, 2 in So Cal, the chances of me getting into one of them would've been pretty high. Also to cut down on application fees and such - Right now we're strapped for cash. I really had to limit myself to 3 schools. Law school is every bit as expensive to apply to, also. So, lots of reasons. Then I chose UCSF for its location and a host of self-explanatory and UoP because of its long-standing reputation and the fact that I could have free housing and food, and the chances of needing to run a dual household while my wife's in law school and I'm in pharmacy school diminish.

Took June PCAT and now I am almost done with pharmcas. Just waiting on one more reference to get done and they told me they expect to finish it this weekend. I will be applying to Buffalo and St John Fisher so I am happy to see no competition yet on here :D. I am also going to finish up my bachelor's this December so I really hope that I get in I am too old to waste much more time (I will be 31 next fall when classes start).

I guess no major competition between us:p. What's the Hazelwood Act? Hey, I didn't know you live in Corp. Ch. in TX.

"The purpose of the Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and their dependent children and spouses.

Eligible veterans, their children and spouses may receive an exemption from the payment of all tuition, dues, fees, and other required charges, including fees for correspondence courses, but excluding deposit fees, student service fees, and any fees or charges for books, lodging, board, or clothing for up to 150 semester credit hours."
http://www.collegefortexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=500

I joined the Navy, sailed the seven seas, and now the greatest state in the Union is going to pay for me to go to pharmacy school. :love:

Yep, CC born-and-raised. I left and swore I'd never come back. But eh... the cost of living is low, I know my way around, and my fiance's here.

All good things to look for when going to school. :D

Last edited:
Took June PCAT and now I am almost done with pharmcas. Just waiting on one more reference to get done and they told me they expect to finish it this weekend. I will be applying to Buffalo and St John Fisher so I am happy to see no competition yet on here :D. I am also going to finish up my bachelor's this December so I really hope that I get in I am too old to waste much more time (I will be 31 next fall when classes start).

So is this how most Pharmcas schools work? You apply in the Fall preceding the Fall of expected entry? When do you expect to interview?

Yeah, the only thing I am taking between now and the hopeful start of pharmacy school is German I this sem and German II next.

Easy day. Probably more relaxing to go to school now than it ever was before.

Unrelated: I just thought this was funny and wanted to share.

Tonight at the pharmacy, THREE times I was the go-to guy when a spanish-speaker came in. haha, each time, the person tried asking a hispanic girl I work with something, and she would just say "Sorry, I have no idea how to speak spanish."

Here's to taking Spanish in high school all those years ago. :laugh:

But then some guy came in with scabies, scratching himself, and I was unlucky enough to be at drop-off.

You have your ups and your downs.

So is this how most Pharmcas schools work? You apply in the Fall preceding the Fall of expected entry? When do you expect to interview?

Depends on whether the school is on the rolling or non-rolling admissions process. If it's a rolling school, the earlier you submitted (tier 1 vs. tier 3 for example), the earlier you interview.

Passion4sci: all the schools you selected are awesome, plus it looks like you have a strong background, so 3 should be nough.

Yeah basically! Interviews are sometimes done as late as January. USC starts their interview "sessions" in November, and UoP in October. I am hoping!

How do non-PharmCAS schools work?

Passion4sci: all the schools you selected are awesome, plus it looks like you have a strong background, so 3 should be nough.

Thanks :D I am confident. But, if I don't get in, it will not be the end of the world. Actually, much higher on my list of potential concerns is that Tara is applying to 3 east coast schools so if she gets accepted there, I will be in a hurt locker. I neglected to apply to anything on the east coast because we had previously discussed the matter and she said she was abstaining from east coast schools, since it would make returning to CA more difficult. Break down in communication to the extreme... but it happens in marriage.

Dude, Texas pharmacy schools are like the short-attention span kid of the group. You have until mid-Spring to apply, and by late Spring you know if you made it in or not.

I'm applying to A&M (1st choice). Their app opens 9/15. Window closes 2/1. Invites are sent out within a few weeks. Interview sometime in March (ish). By May, you know.

Fall 2010: Report for duty.:xf:

I should've stayed in Texas. But then I'd have to have gotten a divorce. Nevermind.

Good luck for A&M. Too bad you wouldn't be an Aggie, then we could fight over which school is a real aggie.

Oh, but I would be!

Texas A&M is an extension of the campus at College Station.

It just happens to be located on the A&M-Kingsville campus.

One odd thing about UT vs A&M:

UT, new students go through the White Coat Ceremony.

A&M, they wait until you've completed year one and THEN do the WCC.

Oh, but I would be!

Texas A&M is an extension of the campus at College Station.

It just happens to be located on the A&M-Kingsville campus.

One odd thing about UT vs A&M:

UT, new students go through the White Coat Ceremony.

A&M, they wait until you've completed year one and THEN do the WCC.

Ah my mistake, I always forgot which one was Long Horn and which one was Aggie. I don't follow football or anything so I basically just guess with a fifty-fifty chance.

That's interesting about the WCC. I think I prefer the WCC after P1.

p4, you said you could get a run of 20 or 30 done? I wonder if we have any artists in here. Plus I have to check to see if we can use the sdn logo.

I'm sure of it, although he operates in large, large quantities a lot. Does a ton of work for UC Davis in screen printing.

I hope to interview sometime this fall semester so that I can find out sooner if I got in. However it could be as late as march. I am starting to get pretty nervous since there are only two schools that I am applying to. :xf:

I'm one of the '14ers too! Hopefully...
UCSF
UCSD
USN ( ya, '13 then lol)
MCPHS
LECOM
Buffalo
North Dakota State
U. of Montana

Man!

Interview in the Fall and wait until as late as March to find out if you're in? That's worse than PPD! (post-PCAT depression)

Actually I meant that I might not interview until march in which case I would have to wait until then to find out if I get in. Normally it seems like you find out relatively soon after the interview about getting in. Of course you could end up on the dreaded wait list and not find out until right before classes start. :scared:

I'm one of the '14ers too! Hopefully...
UCSF
UCSD
USN ( ya, '13 then lol)
MCPHS
LECOM
Buffalo
North Dakota State
U. of Montana

I heard buffalo is horrible, yeah you should definitely not apply there. Plus we get lots of snow up here. Nobody likes snow. :rolleyes:

I heard buffalo is horrible, yeah you should definitely not apply there. Plus we get lots of snow up here. Nobody likes snow. :rolleyes:
lol why is buffalo horrible?
Snow doesn't bother me, I like it. I used to snowboard 3/week in high school, I'm pretty used to it

lol why is buffalo horrible?
Snow doesn't bother me, I like it. I used to snowboard 3/week in high school, I'm pretty used to it

It is horrible because that is where I am applying too as well. No taking any spots there :smuggrin:. Just kidding good luck to you as well.

Another C/O '14 hopeful! I took the PCAT in August, so five more weeks to countdown until I get my scores!