Applying really late... Any chance of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much does early-late application matter?

• Total voters

Possum737

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had some major plan setbacks and I have been unable to take the DAT or apply to dental school until recently. My AADSAS was submitted in mid-September. I just took my DAT today so that will be out soon. I am finishing my supplemental applications by Oct. 1st.

Here are my stats:
-3.49 GPA (but I had to retake a couple of classes)
- 21 AA/21 TS/23 PAT/24 RC
-150+ hours of volunteering
-60+ hours of shadowing
-BS in biology and double minor in chem and studio art
-And a real passion for dentistry!

Given these stats and my extremely late application, could I expect entrance into any of these dental schools?:
1. UNC Chapel Hill: I know this one is a long shot however I am an in-state applicant and my DAT scores are right on par with their average. My GPA is a bit lower than their average (their average=3.6), however I am coming from a university that is known for rigorous courses and grade deflation.

2. East Carolina University: This is a fairly new school so I could not find much information on it. What little I did find stated their average accepted GPA to be 3.3-3.4 and average accepted DAT of 19.

3. Virginia Commonwealth: Out of state, average GPA accepted: 3.6; average DAT accepted: 20

4. Medical University of South Carolina: out-of-state, average GPA accepted: 3.34; average DAT accepted: 19.

Do I have any chance given my application is so late? I know that these schools have received my AADSAS application already as they have sent emails.
If I do get any interviews, when should I expect to hear back if I'm applying so late?
Any hope?! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I have had some major plan setbacks and I have been unable to take the DAT or apply to dental school until recently. My AADSAS was submitted in mid-September. I just took my DAT today so that will be out soon. I am finishing my supplemental applications by Oct. 1st.

Here are my stats:
-60+ hours of shadowing

Given these stats and my extremely late application, could I expect entrance into any of these dental schools?:
1. UNC Chapel Hill: I know this one is a long shot however I am an in-state applicant and my DAT scores are right on par with their average. My GPA is a bit lower than their average (their average=3.6), however I am coming from a university that is known for rigorous courses and grade deflation.

2. East Carolina University: This is a fairly new school so I could not find much information on it. What little I did find stated their average accepted GPA to be 3.3-3.4 and average accepted DAT of 19.

3. Virginia Commonwealth: Out of state, average GPA accepted: 3.6; average DAT accepted: 20

4. Medical University of South Carolina: out-of-state, average GPA accepted: 3.34; average DAT accepted: 19.

Do I have any chance given my application is so late? I know that these schools have received my AADSAS application already as they have sent emails.
If I do get any interviews, when should I expect to hear back if I'm applying so late?
Apply to private schools for higher chances because they tend to interview and fill up seats later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think yes, you have a chance. Your stats look good.

You have a realistic shot at UNC provided you interview well.

ECU puts a LOT of emphasis on volunteerism and working in rural communities within NC. If you don't plan on staying in the state you will not get accepted.

VCU requires more shadowing hours than what you provided in your first post:

http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/programs/dds/faq/#shadowing

South Carolina is QUITE expensive (~80K/year tuition for OOS students) but accepts ~25 OOS students based on this year's ADEA guide.

Most dental schools admit students on a rolling basis. Yes, your application is later, but if you manage to snag a pre-December interview you have the same chance as anyone else since no-one has been accepted yet.

I say you will have a chance. However, don't send in your supplements to NOVA and Kentucky until your new DAT score is updated to AADSAS. NOVA will NOT wait for your new score and immediately reject you. Kentucky will put you on "Hold for comparison" Good luck with this cycle.

You have a realistic shot at UNC provided you interview well.

ECU puts a LOT of emphasis on volunteerism and working in rural communities within NC. If you don't plan on staying in the state you will not get accepted.

VCU requires more shadowing hours than what you provided in your first post:

http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/programs/dds/faq/#shadowing

South Carolina is QUITE expensive (~80K/year tuition for OOS students) but accepts ~25 OOS students based on this year's ADEA guide.

Most dental schools admit students on a rolling basis. Yes, your application is later, but if you manage to snag a pre-December interview you have the same chance as anyone else since no-one has been accepted yet.

I do plan to stay in state. And I'm still continuing my volunteering so I will have many more hours by the time my interviews happen (assuming I get any).

With rolling admissions it can really affect you. If you have the dough, go for it - but if not, you're prob better off waiting

With rolling admissions it can really affect you. If you have the dough, go for it - but if not, you're prob better off waiting

Not happy to hear it, but thanks for the input! :(

I cannot speak to your chances to the other schools you mentioned, but your statistics are definitely good enough for acceptance to VCU. I don't think you will get a pre-december interview with them because their last 2 pre-december interview days are in October but lots of my classmates interviewed after the new year so I think you have a fighting chance.

Word of advice for VCU though, you should try to get to 100 hours of shadowing General Practice Dentists by the time your interview rolls around should you get one...good luck!

Ask the schools if you can fax/email your unofficial score report (I know Marquette for a fact accepts it so others probably will too). I think you are fine! Good luck!
However, start beefing up you application for next cycle just in case! That's what I did last year.

I cannot speak to your chances to the other schools you mentioned, but your statistics are definitely good enough for acceptance to VCU. I don't think you will get a pre-december interview with them because their last 2 pre-december interview days are in October but lots of my classmates interviewed after the new year so I think you have a fighting chance.

Word of advice for VCU though, you should try to get to 100 hours of shadowing General Practice Dentists by the time your interview rolls around should you get one...good luck!
Thank you very much for the information and advice!

Ask the schools if you can fax/email your unofficial score report (I know Marquette for a fact accepts it so others probably will too). I think you are fine! Good luck!
However, start beefing up you application for next cycle just in case! That's what I did last year.
That's the plan! Thanks for the advice!

Here are my stats:
-60+ hours of shadowing

I applied...like in mid-late october LOL because I was applying from Canadian institution. Hold green card though. got interview in november 30th, accepted 2 weeks later. you got chance!! it's a GREAT SCHOOL. i was supposed to interview 4 other schools ,but had seizure(!!!) after interviewing mUSC, so had to turn down all other schools. can't die before becoming a dentist. MUSC- accepting DAT average is 20. it's getting higher every year. AGAIN, YOU won't regret coming to this school - I'M LOVING IT! GREAT FACULTY(They are like your second moms and dads. seriously.), GREAT EDUCATION, GREAT TECHNOLOGY(we are VERY digitally motivated and updated - E4D, Cerec, iTero.....we got it !) only downside is tuition. since SC senators are not very generous in giving funds. only 4%. btw, my GPA is very similar to yours. overall GPA 3.54, science GPA 3.83.

Reactions: 1 user