Applying to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeanBag2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I don't really post on here much but I thought I could use some advice. After studying for the mcat a good amount of time (self studied), I was very disappointed when I received my score. I took it on January 23, 2014 and I received a demoralizing grade of 9-ps ,6-VR, 8-BS, T=23. I was kind of expecting this after coming out of test day feeling like I bombed it. My AAMC average was a 28, so I don't even know what happened. I have never scored that low before. That being said, I decided to retake my mcat in late July, doing an accelerated Kaplan course from late May to early July. This means I won't receive my MCAT score till late AUGUST and it is recommend that your application is done and sent to the schools by then. Am I screwed if I apply with my MCAT score of 23 and then update my app when I retake it?

Looking for some advice on best way to time my application and 2nd MCAT retake, giving me the best shot at this cycle. As well as possible schools I should look into, Thanks everyone for the help.

My GPA is a 3.7 and my sGPA is a 3.6.
Done a ton of internships, shadowing, and even did a surgical missionary trip.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just attended a PCOM open house and the admissions people said, even in September applications are still considered on time/early.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a pre-med with you but from everything that I have heard I can try and give some meager advice.
- Congrats on the GPA. That will certainly help you a lot!
- The ECs are solid, make sure to shadow a DO and try and get a DO letter, I think that helps a lot.
- Otherwise just keep focusing on your problem areas for the MCAT. Study smart- go for quality over quantity. Before now and when you retake, take a nice break from all studying, like a week or two or whatever where you dont think about the MCAT, where you spend time doing what you want to do. I promise this break will be more helpful than you can imagine. Then give yourself a solid month or two of very dedicated study time. Set goals for each day. Do not go under those goals, and dont go over them (burnout). Do lots and lots of practice problems and do practice tests under timed conditions. Do not take it again if you are not ready (even if it means you need to take a gap year get stuff in order).
-August is not too late. That seems to be a pretty average time that people apply. I believe you can even apply earlier and indicate somewhere on your app that you are retaking the MCAT in July. Other people would be able to help more on this. That might be a good way to go.
-Apply very broadly. Apply to the newer schools. So unless you are getting a higher MCAT, do not apply to KCOM, PCOM, CCOM, UNECOM, NOVA etc. Apply to regions where you fit their mission (such as if you plan on practicing in rural Appalachia or in the rural south etc). If you have a state DO school (such as MSU, OSU, or TCOM), definitely push for those since they have significant in-state bias. Alternatively, if you are not from one of those states, do not apply to those.
-Otherwise look at the DO handbook and go through each of the schools. Generally speaking, the newer schools have lower requirements to get in. Apply to 10+ schools unless you get like a 28+ on your MCAT, in which case 10 should be enough from what I hear (with the rest of your stats being solid).

All of this advice changes dramatically if you bust out like a 29+ on your MCAT in July, so keep that in mind. If you get a killer score then I would still keep some newer ones on just to have some cushion (I personally am doing that). But with a higher score you would have more chance at some of these "reach" schools which have stats that are beginning to rival low tiered MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're still early enough where a 28 in September is worth more than 23 in June. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the advice. Been real down since I got my MCAT score back, good to hear some positive thoughts and advice.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the advice. Been real down since I got my MCAT score back, good to hear some positive thoughts and advice.
Yea, that feeling will subside in time. You never know the good that can come out of something like that.

I studied for like 14 solid weeks (30-40 hours a week). On my final AAMCs I was averaging like a 32-33 range. Took the real thing and got a balanced 28. It was pretty devastating, especially since at the time I was like halfway through my application to a bunch of MD schools. I had no clue what to do anymore.

I decided to take a gap year and reassess my options. I decided to take that 28 and turn it into something good. Instead of scraping at a minuscule chance of getting into an MD school, I decided to go full force in applying only to DO schools. Since then I have gotten months of shadowing experience with DOs and found that I really like what its all about. I also feel significantly more comfortable with applying to DO since I have more faith that I will at least get in somewhere and thus will one day be able to become a doctor.

The gap year also gave me time to get a great research job and really built up my application. I feel significantly more secure in my application this year, than last year when I was throwing everything together at the last minute. So you never know the good that will come, until after it has happened.

I also took a lot of lessons from that huge amount of time studying for the MCAT. I feel more confident going into school and have faith that I will have a better grasp as to how to do well on the USMLE and COMLEX (again on this idea of quality>quantity in your study methods).

So chin up, like I said, I would definitely take a week or two to get your heart in the right place, reset your brain a little bit. Then hit it hard again. In those couple of weeks do not study for it at all. But maybe try and take a big step back and assess how you studied. I thought I had it figured out, but I didnt really realize where I went wrong until a month or so later. I think the honest internal reflection of your methods is extremely important for you to learn how to do better next time.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply in June with your 23 and enter in AACOMAS that you have a scheduled MCAT retake. And apply to just about anywhere you wouldn't mind going, because with a solid GPA you're likely to get a few bites even if your MCAT doesn't improve--but only by applying broadly.

I was in a similar situation last year. One piece of advice I can give you is make a broad plan for the month after you take the MCAT and stick to it NO MATTER WHAT unless you know for sure you're going to retake.

I had planned to have my entire AACOMAS finished while waiting for my score so I could submit it and just forward my new MCAT score. I walked out of the testing center feeling devastated because I was sure I got a 20 or something. This feeling really threw me off for 2 entire weeks as I did nothing but worry about my results. I finally got my MCAT score (did pretty well) but since I had been so worried I never finished my AACOMAS. That took up a bunch of precious time I wish I had used in a more meaningful manner.

Also, my MCAT was higher than expected so I wasn't fully prepared since I had only pre-written secondaries for mid and lower tier schools. I was in a rush to write up secondaries for the schools I felt would be out of my league.

When you finish your MCAT take a day or 2 off but quickly begin finishing your AACOMAS and pre-writing your secondaries to any school you think you would be interested in. Be sure to pre-write secondaries for a bunch of schools because you never know what you might get back. You might get a <25 or 30+.

I was complete in September at many places and ended up with 7 IIs. That number could have been higher if I had submitted my primary the day I got my MCAT score and finished my secondaries by late August.

September is definitely not too late for applying to DO schools. If you want to wait to apply until you have a new MCAT score, you'll be fine.

But about your MCAT: you said you spent a lot of time studying, but how did you feel about your methods? Did you use a study book from Kaplan/Examkrackers/etc.? Did you feel that your studying was focused on your problem areas, or were you all over the place? It can be difficult to know exactly what information is useful to know for the test, and which stuff not to waste time on.

The first time I took the MCAT a lot of my peers were taking the Kaplan in-classroom course, but after looking at the price tag I decided I would be fine just studying out of a $40 Kaplan book and my class notes. In my case, I think that was a bad idea. I ended up wasting time on a lot of things the MCAT doesn't even cover, and I never realized that doing well on the MCAT is just as much about knowing how to approach taking the test as it was about the content. The second time around, I took the Kaplan course during June/July and tested at the end of July, and did 6 points better. My studying was a lot more focused and I learned how to approach the MCAT differently than a normal test in one of my science courses. Whatever the price is now ($1600 when I took it), it's definitely a lot. A whole lot more expensive than studying on your own. But if your score gets you into a school you love (or, you know, any school at all), $1600 is going to seem like a tiny amount once you see the cost of attendance and the amount you'll be taking out in loans.

Hey Guys,

I don't really post on here much but I thought I could use some advice. After studying for the mcat a good amount of time (self studied), I was very disappointed when I received my score. I took it on January 23, 2014 and I received a demoralizing grade of 9-ps ,6-VR, 8-BS, T=23. I was kind of expecting this after coming out of test day feeling like I bombed it. My AAMC average was a 28, so I don't even know what happened. I have never scored that low before. That being said, I decided to retake my mcat in late July, doing an accelerated Kaplan course from late May to early July. This means I won't receive my MCAT score till late AUGUST and it is recommend that your application is done and sent to the schools by then. Am I screwed if I apply with my MCAT score of 23 and then update my app when I retake it?

Looking for some advice on best way to time my application and 2nd MCAT retake, giving me the best shot at this cycle. As well as possible schools I should look into, Thanks everyone for the help.

My GPA is a 3.7 and my sGPA is a 3.6.
Done a ton of internships, shadowing, and even did a surgical missionary trip.

I don't really know what your experiences are and how old are you. I am 41 years old and had an MCAT of 22 PS8, BS8, VR6. I applied only DO schools (18), got 4 interview and 1 pre interview wait list. Went for 3 interview and refused one. Got 2 acceptances. I am an RN from last 4 years. I am really tempted to say apply with what you have and continue getting ready for MCAT. Apply when the admissions open see what happens. Your GPA is much better than mine. The only rejection I got was because I have been out of school for 10 years now. So............. If I was you I would apply, however if you don't get in then you would have to re-apply with the new scores. IM me if you want.

I don't really know what your experiences are and how old are you. I am 41 years old and had an MCAT of 22 PS8, BS8, VR6. I applied only DO schools (18), got 4 interview and 1 pre interview wait list. Went for 3 interview and refused one. Got 2 acceptances. I am an RN from last 4 years. I am really tempted to say apply with what you have and continue getting ready for MCAT. Apply when the admissions open see what happens. Your GPA is much better than mine. The only rejection I got was because I have been out of school for 10 years now. So............. If I was you I would apply, however if you don't get in then you would have to re-apply with the new scores. IM me if you want.

You also have 12,578,385.269 hours of clinical experience. That can play a big part at certain schools.

I'm guessing OP might be a trad student.

Not sure why everyone is saying to wait to apply until after your MCAT comes back.

Here's what you need to do:

1) June 1st, submit your AACOMAS app with everything (transcripts, MCAT report, etc) to at least 1 school (preferably one that won't auto reject you based on MCAT alone), and obviously indicate that you have a planned retake
-This is important because you'll get your app verified early, so when you apply everywhere after you get your MCAT score, there will be no delay. If you don't do this, your app won't be verified until the end of Sept, you won't get secondaries until mid-Oct, and won't likely be complete until the end of Oct, making you no longer early.

2) Study hard for the MCAT and do well (absolutely do better than the previous score)

3) After the MCAT, start pre-writing secondaries and make sure you have all your LORs ready and in interfolio before your MCAT score comes back.

4) After your MCAT score comes back, submit your app to the remaining schools you want to apply to. That way schools will have your app within a week, and you should get secondaries within the next 2 weeks.

5) Once you get your secondaries, submit them ASAP as well as your LORs that they require.

6) Relax.

7) ??????

8) Profit!

I fixed it for you.

Not sure why everyone is saying to wait to apply until after your MCAT comes back.

1) June 1st, submit your AACOMAS app with everything (transcripts, MCAT report, etc) to at least 1 school (preferably one that won't auto reject you based on MCAT alone), and obviously indicate that you have a planned retake
-This is important because you'll get your app verified early, so when you apply everywhere after you get your MCAT score, there will be no delay. If you don't do this, your app won't be verified until the end of Sept, you won't get secondaries until mid-Oct, and won't likely be complete until the end of Oct, making you no longer early.

2) Study hard for the MCAT and do well (absolutely do better than the previous score)

3) After the MCAT, start pre-writing secondaries and make sure you have all your LORs ready and in interfolio before your MCAT score comes back.

4) After your MCAT score comes back, submit your app to the remaining schools you want to apply to. That way schools will have your app within a week, and you should get secondaries within the next 2 weeks.

5) Once you get your secondaries, submit them ASAP as well as your LORs that they require.

6) Relax.

7) Go through 298409234 years of training and paying back debt.

8) ????

9) Profit!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the timeline on when the absolute latest is that you have to tell DO schools you're gonna go there?

What is the timeline on when the absolute latest is that you have to tell DO schools you're gonna go there?

Most have deposit deadlines. Check with the individual school(s) in question.

6) Relax.
7) ??????
8) Profit!

Thank you Hallowmann for this piece of advise- but my case is a little different.
I will be taking my MCAT in early July so that means won't be getting scores until August!
Do you still suggest I go ahead and apply for June 1st? - without a score and only ~3.2gpa? That would be an incomplete application right? (Applying for the first time and confused! ) Also which schools do you all think will get me verified?

Thank you in advance! :)

Thank you Hallowmann for this piece of advise- but my case is a little different.
I will be taking my MCAT in early July so that means won't be getting scores until August!
Do you still suggest I go ahead and apply for June 1st? - without a score and only ~3.2gpa? That would be an incomplete application right? (Applying for the first time and confused! ) Also which schools do you all think will get me verified?

Thank you in advance! :)

I would still do it that way. If you wait until August, it'll take another month for your app to get verified by AACOMAS (they have to verify your app before Iit gets sent to any schools). Submitting your app to one school first saves you at least that time. If you are worried, submit to a school that you're not crazy about or that doesn't auto reject people. For example LECOM and AZCOM put me on hold until I was above their cutoffs, then sent me secondaries last cycle, so they are options if you were planning to apply to them.

Last edited:
I would still do it that way. If you wait until August, it'll take another month for your app to get verified by AACOMAS (they have to verify your app before Iit gets sent to any schools). Submitting your app to one school first saves you at least that time. If you are worried, submit to a school that you're not crazy about or that doesn't auto reject people. For example LECOM and AZCOM put me on hold until I was above their cutoffs, then sent me secondaries last cycle, so they are options if you were planning to apply to them.

Great advice. Very important to submit as early as possible even without MCAT score as it can take several weeks to verify depending on how busy AACOMAS is... which can delay your whole application process.

Doe

Does that mean you can withdraw your application anytime before matriculation if you accepted multiple offers?
Yes, but depending on the school, you may not get your deposit back if you withdraw your acceptance. Many (if not most) have non-refundable deposits.

I have a question, I applied for Medical school this year with a 28 MCAT (10,8,10) and a 3.96 GPA. I only got one interview at WVU, but then got a rejection letter. They asked me if I would apply again to WVU, I said yes. What are my chances getting in the second time? I am afraid to take the MCAT again because I think I will do worse, I know thats my best chance of getting in. I actually studied for three months for the MCAT, I was getting 30s on the practice tests (I took 20), so I know I can get a higher score, but I just am too afraid
of getting a lower score. I also didn't send out my application until the middle of September! Help me please!!!

I have a question, I applied for Medical school this year with a 28 MCAT (10,8,10) and a 3.96 GPA. I only got one interview at WVU, but then got a rejection letter. They asked me if I would apply again to WVU, I said yes. What are my chances getting in the second time? I am afraid to take the MCAT again because I think I will do worse, I know thats my best chance of getting in. I actually studied for three months for the MCAT, I was getting 30s on the practice tests (I took 20), so I know I can get a higher score, but I just am too afraid
of getting a lower score. I also didn't send out my application until the middle of September! Help me please!!!
The bigger question than the stuff relating to the MCAT is how you only got one interview... what are the rest of your stats? Where did you apply? When did you apply (when were you complete)? Seriously a 3.96 gpa and 28 MCAT should not be your problem... there has to be something else that was wrong.

OHHHH you are saying WVU NOT WVSOM... did you apply to DO schools then?

I'm just another applicant, but if you're applying to DO schools with a 3.96 GPA and a 28 MCAT and you didn't get interviews... I think there's something else on your application that is a red flag, either your ECs or PS? A 28 is average or better for a lot of schools and a 3.96 GPA is definitely above average... so your numbers seem find. So there has to be something else.

If you're applying all MD, then idk.

The bigger question than the stuff relating to the MCAT is how you only got one interview... what are the rest of your stats? Where did you apply? When did you apply (when were you complete)? Seriously a 3.96 gpa and 28 MCAT should not be your problem... there has to be something else that was wrong.

I didn't apply DO, I only applied MD. Most MD MCAT cut offs are a 30-33. WVU's cut off was a 28, and I didn't get in.

I didn't apply DO, I only applied MD. Most MD MCAT cut offs are a 30-33. WVU's cut off was a 28, and I didn't get in.

OHHHH you are saying WVU NOT WVSOM... did you apply to DO schools then?

I didn't apply DO, but I think I will this coming year. Do you know what DO schools are the most competitive?

Okay, well, if you have more MD questions, you're probably better off going to pre-allo, no pre-osteo. Your numbers seem just fine for DO though. A ton of people told me (including adcoms) that I didn't have to retake my 29 MCAT, so your 28 is probably fine too. So for DO, don't stress about retaking. For MD, good luck.

Yea pretty much apply to any DO school you are interested in. There will most likely still be some randomness so its not like you are a shoo-in at every school. But if you apply to a handful of mid-top tier DO schools you will likely get some love (at least based upon other people's stats who are similar to yours).

What state are you a resident of?

Yea pretty much apply to any DO school you are interested in. There will most likely still be some randomness so its not like you are a shoo-in at every school. But if you apply to a handful of mid-top tier DO schools you will likely get some love (at least based upon other people's stats who are similar to yours).

What state are you a resident of?

Ohio

OUHCOM, CCOM, DMUCOM, MSUCOM, PCOM <-- competitive schools around you.

Ohio has a really great DO school. And there are plenty of great schools in surrounding states. MUCOM is new but has a ton of promise. CCOM is like 100 years old and is fantastic (except tuition). WVSOM is solid too, about 40 years old.

Stop freaking out.

Ask WVU for feedback on what you need to improve. Don't tell them you're afraid to retake the MCAT. That just sounds bad if you're afraid of standardized tests.

I know of a few people who had to reapply with your stats to get in. I guess the schools wanted to see if the applicant was really dedicated.

Apply both MD and DO. Be ready to answer the question "Why DO?" in an interview.

CCOM (~$60k tuition), KCOM, PCOM, KCUMB, MSUCOM, OUHCOM, WesternU, DMU, NOVA... all great schools.

Add Rowan to the list ( formerly UMDNJ). We have a great school and community, our avg MCAT is 28-30. PM if you have questions