Applying to med school as a med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealCookieMonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know:
If you are in medical school can you then apply to a different medical school? Not a transfer just a totally new start? I realize this sounds insane...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know:
If you are in medical school can you then apply to a different medical school? Not a transfer just a totally new start? I realize this sounds insane...
I think you would be able to fill out and submit an amcas application. But most schools likely won't accept students who previously matriculated.

Edit: carribean schools probably won't care.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With no AOA protected residencies, MD preference and several DO residencies dropping off the map it’s nice to have options. As strange as they may be.

What do you mean? Is it getting harder for DOs in the near future? I thought it was getting easier, with the merger and all...I feel so uninformed :lame:

What do you mean? Is it getting harder for DOs in the near future? I thought it was getting easier, with the merger and all...I feel so uninformed :lame:
DO schools WANT you to think its ok. In reality, it is a toss up although I would not hedge on applying to an MD if you are already attending a DO based on the merger, that is just dumb.

It’s really not a toss up. DOs will be graduating more and more students with fewer and fewer residency positions open to them. Unless MD residencies suddenly give up their bias and relationships with MD schools/people an increasing number of DOs WILL end up out of a job. And even if a miracle happens and more DOs get in that will mean MD applicants somewhere will be out of a job. Someone will lose. I’m betting it’ll be DOs, which is why they opposed the merger.

This is not a plan consistent with success. This is not sane.

Reactions: 5 users
It’s really not a toss up. DOs will be graduating more and more students with fewer and fewer residency positions open to them. Unless MD residencies suddenly give up their bias and relationships with MD schools/people an increasing number of DOs WILL end up out of a job. And even if a miracle happens and more DOs get in that will mean MD applicants somewhere will be out of a job. Someone will lose. I’m betting it’ll be DOs, which is why they opposed the merger.
I don't know too much about the merger, so please forgive my ignorance and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Shouldnt the total number of residency spots more or less remain the same? I understand that there might be a decrease in the number of DOs getting into the specialty of their choice, but i don't think there will be an issue of DOs all of a sudden being jobless.

I don't know too much about the merger, so please forgive my ignorance and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Shouldnt the total number of residency spots more or less remain the same? I understand that there might be a decrease in the number of DOs getting into the specialty of their choice, but i don't think there will be an issue of DOs all of a sudden being jobless.
There are at least a few thousand "leftover" residencies at the end of the Match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

Brush off that GRE perp book and go for BSN-RN --> (F)NP for autonomy..?

Reactions: 1 users

I thought it would be the IMGs/FMGs who are more likely to be out of a job. Doesn't this mean the DOs are reasonably safe? @Goro thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)

The merge will net negative residency positions. Several DO residency programs will not receive the new accreditation.

The merge will net negative residency positions. Several DO residency programs will not receive the new accreditation.
Net negative residency positions, but based on what @gyngyn said above, shouldn't there still be an excess of residency spots?

Regardless... does it really seem reasonable to drop out, take the MCAT over, go through another application cycle, and (if by some miracle you get accepted to an MD school despite already having matriculated) start med school over simply because it will be harder to land the residency of your choice?

Wouldnt it be easier to spend extra time studying for and acing the step exams and doing more research to increase the likelihood of getting into a better residency?

shouldn't there still be an excess of residency spots?
If there are some numbers here I would be interested. New medical schools pop up every year ~60 graduates. I think the only new residencies are funded by states or MD schools and accept 2-8 residents per program and they are slower appearing than med students. But yeah Goro is right the sky isn’t falling... if it was I wouldn’t be asking the question here.

I believe you could, but why would you? You'd spend all the money for at least a semester at 1 medical school, then start completely over and have to pay for your medical school as normal, but with an extra semester of tuition. Why?

It is no secret that DO schools place the vast majority of their students in primary care slots, around 60-70 % of graduates. By accepting a slot in a DO school, you should be acutely aware of this. I agree with other posters, study hard and make yourself the best candidate for the non primary care specialty of your choice. Applying to MD schools now would be detrimental to your goals.

If there are some numbers here I would be interested. New medical schools pop up every year ~60 graduates. I think the only new residencies are funded by states or MD schools and accept 2-8 residents per program and they are slower appearing than med students. But yeah Goro is right the sky isn’t falling... if it was I wouldn’t be asking the question here.

If you're *that* scared and want to serve, military match has been integrated for quite a long time. The 'and you want to serve' part is key.

Reactions: 1 user
With no AOA protected residencies, MD preference and several DO residencies dropping off the map it’s nice to have options. As strange as they may be.

This isn't an option lol

Not all DOs opposed the merger....
The merge will net negative residency positions

Wrong.

Several DO residency programs will not receive the new accreditation.

and they are the programs that anyone wanting good training wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

You want to know the secret to matching post merger? Don't be a crappy medical student....

You want to know the secret to matching post merger? Don't be a crappy medical student....[/QUOTE]
And don't be a jerk, either. Residencies want people who will be good team mates for 3 to 5 years

You want to know the secret to matching post merger? Don't be a crappy medical student....
And don't be a jerk, either. Residencies want people who will be good team mates for 3 to 5 years[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how I've learned that being a normal person that people want to hang around daily is apparently a hard trait to have for a lot of medical students.

Reactions: 2 users
And don't be a jerk, either. Residencies want people who will be good team mates for 3 to 5 years[/QUOTE]
Haha and they want MDs. DOs are just not as good.

Last edited:
A lot of you are looking at the merger issue all wrong.

Being a DO is not what could potentially hurt you post-merger.

The “correct” way of looking at the problem is like so:

DO schools are expanding and accepting more students. As they look to fill their classes, they will (potentially) accept crappier students. These students will get crappy board scores and may have problems matching, because DOs don’t have protected residencies to dump them into. They probably shouldn’t have been accepted to medical school in the first place.

So it’s not so much that the competition will heat up - it’s more like there might be a glut of competitors who just can’t compete.

Of course, while this is all theoretically possible, this really doesn’t seem to be the case in reality. This is not some sudden event that happens in 2020 - Expansion and the merger have been steadily happening for the last 5-10 years, and DOs have only been benefitting in pretty much all regards. ACGME residencies have never been more accepting of DOs, DOs are getting more respect in the medical field than ever, and DO scores/test performance is higher than ever. Honestly things are looking pretty good from where I am.

And of course, that's why you're interested in, applying to and interviewing at DO schools:
2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)
Any current/former AZCOM students?
All Things ACGME/AOA Merger

Just too easy with you, cookie.
Darn it! You got me... :=|:-):
Obviously, this doesn't change the fact that MDs are more desirable.
I guess "interest" and "no other realist options" sort of go hand in hand. I'm prepared to settle, with a smile and even a fist pump or two. But if there are other options, even crazy ones, then I'm going to explore them as well.

Darn it! You got me... :=|:-):
Obviously, this doesn't change the fact that MDs are more desirable.
I guess "interest" and "no other realist options" sort of go hand in hand. I'm prepared to settle, with a smile and even a fist pump or two. But if there are other options, even crazy ones, then I'm going to explore them as well.
Strongly suggest CNU, SGU, Ross AUA, or LUCOM for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol go to the carib, you are perfect for it.