Applying to medical school for the first time at 32. Too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on people in their early 30s applying to medical school? Is this too old?

I'll be applying this cycle for the first time ever, but I'm wondering if my age will hurt me. I don't have a spouse or kids or anything, so no other responsibilities like that to manage while in school. But I really have no idea if 32 is just...too old for med school. I know most people are applying when they're 21 so I'm kind of feeling a little out of place.

Members don't see this ad.

What are people's thoughts on people in their early 30s applying to medical school? Is this too old?

I'll be applying this cycle for the first time ever, but I'm wondering if my age will hurt me. I don't have a spouse or kids or anything, so no other responsibilities like that to manage while in school. But I really have no idea if 32 is just...too old for med school. I know most people are applying when they're 21 so I'm kind of feeling a little out of place.
It is older than the average by about 8 years but it is by no means too late. You will be an attending physician between the ages of 40 and 43, depending on your specialty. This means you will still confidently have access to between 22 and 35 years of being an attending, depending on when you want to retire.

Reactions: 1 user

Thirty-two is not "too old" and you will not be discriminated against on the basis of your age.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Some of my all-time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one at age 50 a few years ago, and she is now an attending in Southern California

I'll turn 30 during the first semester. P.S. there is a whole subforum on this site for nontraditional students.

And if you look on MSAR, most schools have a handful of students >30 in each class. Some schools have more than others.

I'll turn 30 during the first semester. P.S. there is a whole subforum on this site for nontraditional students.

And if you look on MSAR, most schools have a handful of students >30 in each class. Some schools have more than others.
If you have sufficient stats, Dartmouth will be your non-trad haven.

There are multiple students in my class in the 32-34 range and they are all ranked near the unofficial top.

Definitely not too old!! Different schools definitely have different assortments of students which you can kind of see on MSAR. Northwestern for example tends to have a lot of younger students and only 1-2 students in the 30-39 range so maybe that would not be the ideal social fit for you. Other schools will have more students around your age - like Dartmouth for example.

The only thing I would say though is be thoughtful about the financial aspect and how much that matters to you personally. If you start at 32 and graduate at 36 and then decide to do a surgical speciality for example you could be looking at another 5-7 years or so. So you would have another 20+ years to work but would your repayment plans conflict with your retirement saving plans and is this a major factor for you?

I turned 32 about a month into M1. I sure hope I'm not too old!

But seriously, the only difference I've noticed between myself and the young'uns is that I don't necessarily have the same stamina that they do. Not to the extent that I have trouble with studying, but more like I can't go out drinking late into the night after a big final. The other non-trads in my class have noticed the same thing.

I'm behind you in this endeavor!

I turned 32 about a month into M1. I sure hope I'm not too old!

But seriously, the only difference I've noticed between myself and the young'uns is that I don't necessarily have the same stamina that they do. Not to the extent that I have trouble with studying, but more like I can't go out drinking late into the night after a big final. The other non-trads in my class have noticed the same thing.

I'm behind you in this endeavor!
That isn’t even a bad thing. I am only 24, but fall solidly in the boat of “Why are you waisting student loan money at the bar when savings accounts are a thing?”

That isn’t even a bad thing. I am only 24, but fall solidly in the boat of “Why are you waisting student loan money at the bar when savings accounts are a thing?”
Honestly, it may not even be that I can't. I just did that part of my life already. And my back hurts sometimes when I sit in bar stools too long.

I was 32 when I applied this past cycle. In no way did my age hinder me. If anything it adds to your application; you have life experience. As an older applicant you are serious.

Applied at 38, will matriculate at 39. I don’t consider that too old and I will be a full 15 years older than the average matriculant.

You are about the same age as me. I'm going into my M3 year. You will be older than most of your classmates, probably not all of them. You are far from being too old and way too young to let age hold you back.

Just be sure you don't mention your being "too old" during interviews... Generally considered bad form when talking to people with more gray hair than you. ;)

In all seriousness though, you'll be fine. 32 is not considered old by any stretch. Whether it makes sense to apply as one gets older though depends on individual and their own priorities in life.