Applying to medical school while in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryforce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it permissible to apply to other medical schools if you are already in a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it permissible to apply to other medical schools if you are already in a medical school?

It's possible to transfer, but it's not common and you usually have to have a compelling reason for it to get approved (e.g. a serious family illness and wanting to move closer to home, husband/wife/partner getting transfered cross-country, etc.). I'm not sure about applying to start over...you'd have to check with individual schools/AAMC to see if it's possible, and if it is I'm not sure how it would go over (since I'm assuming to have to do that you had dropped out or been kicked out of your current school).

Last edited:
If you try to apply, you will have to list the medical school on your list of schools attended as well as the courses you have taken thus far. Either way it advertises that you have already been accepted to a medical school. If you are allowed to get this far (which I am not sure if you would be), current enrollment in a medical school will raise a big red flag.

With that being said, a classmate of mine in medical school applied to US allopathic schools while he was a first year student at an osteopathic school. It worked out for him; he graduated as an MD. So it can work in some capacity.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info guys appreciate it

FYI, I was just looking at one of the medical licensing applications for my home state, and one of the questions (amid the have you ever been fired/put on probation/etc. questions) states

"16-B. Have you ever voluntarily left, transferred or withdrawn from a medical school or any postgraduate training program?

If you answered “yes” to 16-A, B or C, you must provide an explanation and request a letter of explanation from your medical school or postgraduate training program."

It doesn't say what the consequences are, but a) your plan could have an impact on getting licensed and b) it's not something you can covertly do...since if you do lie, not only could you get your MD revoked, but you also could have your license pulled.

FYI, I was just looking at one of the medical licensing applications for my home state, and one of the questions (amid the have you ever been fired/put on probation/etc. questions) states

"16-B. Have you ever voluntarily left, transferred or withdrawn from a medical school or any postgraduate training program?

If you answered “yes” to 16-A, B or C, you must provide an explanation and request a letter of explanation from your medical school or postgraduate training program."

It doesn't say what the consequences are, but a) your plan could have an impact on getting licensed and b) it's not something you can covertly do...since if you do lie, not only could you get your MD revoked, but you also could have your license pulled.

I think that they are looking for people who "voluntarily" leave a school because the alternative is to be expelled and then go off shore. If such a person were to come back & try to get a license, the State might want to know the whole story.

I would not imagine dire consequences for someone who is fortunate enough to transfer due to a family situation (most often spouse transfer). There may have been a whole bunch of people with transfers due to Katrina and I wouldn't expect them to have trouble... it is mostly a concern when someone has a situation that might indicate issues of character or incompetence that would endanger the public.