Applying to medical school while in nursing school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpr231

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolled in a BSN program. I have read posts about why applying to medical school while enrolled in nursing school is a bad idea and can make me seem "wishy-washy." I have read that I should work as an RN for a year or two before applying. However, I have a solid MCAT score (518) and a solid GPA (~3.8), so why not? This wouldn't be a deal-breaker, right?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have that MCAT and gpa combo you should be fine, just be prepared to discuss why not nursing and why medicine compared to nursing extensively. As long as you have all your other ducks in a row on the app you should be fine. In your instance I would advise against letting that score expire.

I second what's been said above.

Have a good reason if you plan on applying and taking the MCAT. Also beware that nursing sciences are watered down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second what's been said above.

Have a good reason if you plan on applying and taking the MCAT. Also beware that nursing sciences are watered down.
I am assuming OP already has a 518. If OP doesnt they should probably work for a few years to figure things out and atleast show an attempt at making nursing work.

Yes, my MCAT score is 518. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Reactions: 1 user