Applying to new MD schools (for 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceAli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I apologize if this has been said before. I searched extensively for "new medical schools" and only found threads that listed many new ones and a wikipedia entry, but nothing on their admission criteria.

I have a relatively weak application and only about a ~41% chance of gaining admission this year, which is why I'm applying broadly and early (with a 3.25 cGPA and 34 MCAT). I can give more details, but really I just want to know:

1) What new medical schools are accepting admissions for their 1st or 2nd year of students in 2013? Just going through the MSAR and the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States#Developing_medical_schools) I have:
University of California Merced
The Scripps Research Institute
California Northstate University
Central Michigan University

Is University of South Carolina in Greenville a new medical school as well?

2) Would applying to newer MD schools give weaker applicants a better chance for admission?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it's written somewhere that new medical schools are stat hogs. They like their numbers pretty high.

Scripps is a high powered research institution so I wouldn't be surprised if they attract higher caliber students like other research focused schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the Scripps project got scrapped due to funding.

CMU specifically wants to produce primary care providers for Central and Northern Michigan, so if you're not going to be able to be able to convince them that's what you want to do I don't think you should apply there.

My comments in red:

University of California Merced The first two years are at Davis. I believe you are expected to have ties to a specific area in California. The first group of students has been accepted to the program.
The Scripps Research Institute I heard it would be for MD/PhD only. Haven't heard anything lately.
Central Michigan University First class starts summer 2013. www.cmich.edu/med
Is University of South Carolina in Greenville a new medical school as well? Yes. Opens 7/2012. www.greenvillemed.sc.edu
California-Riverside Opens 8/2013 http://medschool.ucr.edu

Would applying to newer MD schools give weaker applicants a better chance for admission? This often seems to be the case.

My comments in red:

University of California Merced The first two years are at Davis. I believe you are expected to have ties to a specific area in California. The first group of students has been accepted to the program.
The Scripps Research Institute I heard it would be for MD/PhD only. Haven't heard anything lately.
Is University of South Carolina in Greenville a new medical school as well? Yes. Opens 7/2012. www.greenvillemed.sc.edu
California-Riverside Opens 8/2013 http://medschool.ucr.edu

Would applying to newer MD schools give weaker applicants a better chance for admission? This often seems to be the case.

I thought Scripps was a 5 year program (for Masters in Science)?

I wish Scripps opened this past cycle...

edit: Isn't Scripps not opening a med school anymore???

The Scripps Research Institute I believe is in connection with FAU. At FAU COM if a student wants to get their MD/Ph.D the MD is from FAU and the Ph.D is from Scripps.

As for UC Riverside, I'll believe it when I see it. Considering there's no "admissions" section of their website, I'm pretty sure they'll be putting off their first incoming class another year (as they have done the past 2-3 years).

My comments in red:

Hmm if that's the case I'm highly considering applying to USC Greenville, and maybe CMU as well.

Hmm if that's the case I'm highly considering applying to USC Greenville, and maybe CMU as well.

If you're applying to CMU, it looks like you better be ready to convince them that what you want to do is practice in underserved areas of Central and Northern Michigan.

I you do not have strong ties to South Carolina then do not bother applying to USC Greenville.