Applying with few credits factored into science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llamapower

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made the decision last year to postpone my graduation from undergrad so I'd have time to take the dental prerequisites. I'm a business major that made the decision very late to pursue dentistry. Nevertheless, I have only taken a handful of the prerequisites for dental school (BIO 1 & 2, Gen Chem 1 & 2, Ochem 1). If I apply this cycle, will dental schools penalize me for only having 18 credits worth of dental prereqs factored in to my BCP GPA? I meet every other requirement for dental school apps (LORs, shadowing, volunteer hrs, overall GPA etc.), but I'm wondering if dental schools will see the low number of BCP credits and discredit my app.

Also, I am taking spring classes that end in a few weeks. I am unsure what my grades will be, but I'm fairly certain they will lower my BCP GPA. Is it worth it to wait and include more credits on my app even if it lowers GPA (5 more credits), or should I apply with the 18 credits and the higher GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill be taking it in July

See how that goes. 20+ you could go ahead and apply depending on what your sGPA looks like. You can just update the schools with what I assume would include physics 1 and organic 2 after the fall semester. If you have a good GPA and DAT score it won’t hold you back. Only exception being schools like stony brook that want your pre reqs done by application not matriculation. There aren’t a lot of schools like that though. SB the only one I know of.

See how that goes. 20+ you could go ahead and apply depending on what your sGPA looks like. You can just update the schools with what I assume would include physics 1 and organic 2 after the fall semester. If you have a good GPA and DAT score it won’t hold you back. Only exception being schools like stony brook that want your pre reqs done by application not matriculation. There aren’t a lot of schools like that though. SB the only one I know of.
Good to know. Do you think it would be better to apply with 18 credits and a 3.45 sGPA, or 23 credits and a 3.35 sGPA. oGPA is 3.6 and wont rlly move because of the mass of credits i already have.