applying with only 37 credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramizlol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.9 GPA. i am taking PCAT next week. I am afraid if my application will look bad if i havent taken a lot of the preq classes.
This what i have taken so far
Bio 100
General chem 1
A&P
Composition 1 & 2
Speech
Sociology
Politcal science
Intro to rock

My science gpa is 3.8. Will it look bad if i only have taken 3 science courses so far?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.9 GPA. i am taking PCAT next week. I am afraid if my application will look bad if i havent taken a lot of the preq classes.
This what i have taken so far
Bio 100
General chem 1
A&P
Composition 1 & 2
Speech
Sociology
Politcal science
Intro to rock

My science gpa is 3.8. Will it look bad if i only have taken 3 science courses so far?

yes, you only have the 1st gen bio + 1st gen chem + Anat & Phys according to the list you posted above. So probably you will have to wait another year to apply and at least finish taking gen bio 2 + gen chem 2 + at least O chem 1.

Realistically, I do not think you will get a good score on the PCAT if you take it now with only those courses above.

Will you be able to take all the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation? Do they require a bac degree?

Obviously, someone with a BS/BA has an advantage over you but your GPA is stellar so I doubt it will affect you that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you only have the 1st gen bio + 1st gen chem + Anat & Phys according to the list you posted above. So probably you will have to wait another year to apply and at least finish taking gen bio 2 + gen chem 2 + at least O chem 1.

Realistically, I do not think you will get a good score on the PCAT if you take it now with only those courses above.

I disagree. My friend and I were weak in chemistry/organic chemistry (got C-Bs) and we didn't even take anatomy or physiology by the time we took the pcat. We both scored in the high 90s in both categories.
Just study off Collins.

I disagree. My friend and I were weak in chemistry/organic chemistry (got C-Bs) and we didn't even take anatomy or physiology by the time we took the pcat. We both scored in the high 90s in both categories.
Just study off Collins.

well, at lest you and your friend already had gen bio 1 & 2 + gen 1 & 2 and o chem 1 & 2. Did you see that the OP said that he is going to take the PCAT next week ?? He only has gen bio 1 + gen chem 1 + A&P. But if you could get good score on the PCAT with only those 3 courses, more power to you.

If it were me, I would wait to at least complete gen bio 2 + gen bio 2 + o chem 1 before taking the PCAT. But it is only me :)

Reactions: 1 user
well, did you see that the OP said that he is going to take the PCAT next week ?? He only has gen bio 1 + gen chem 1 + A&P. But if you could get good score on the PCAT with only those 3 courses, more power to you.

If it were me, I would wait to at least complete gen bio 2 + gen bio 2 + o chem 1 before taking the PCAT. But it is only me :)
Maybe he got collins and memorized the hell out of it? lol
that guy is better than all of my ug's teachers combined.

But you are right, there were maybe 2-3 questions on my test that weren't on Collins but were covered in those classes.

I took the PCAT back in January and I used Collins to study. Yes, Dr. Collins is good, but its not as good as you are making it seem... At least not for me. Only a few things I studied from Dr. Collins actually showed up in my PCAT, the rest was stuff I studied from my classes. I got a 76 composite and a 79 Biology because I hadn't taken physiology or microbiology and nothing from what I studied in Dr. Collins from those sections actually showed up in my test... IMHO, just using Dr. Collins is a HUGE gamble.

I have done a pearson practice exam i scored 80-99 range on bio and chem and 70-90 on quan reading and verbal 60-80.

Will you be able to take all the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation? Do they require a bac degree?

Obviously, someone with a BS/BA has an advantage over you but your GPA is stellar so I doubt it will affect you that much.
Yes i will be able to finish all of them by the end of winter semester

Yes i will be able to finish all of them by the end of winter semester
Just wondering, how will you be able to finish out approximately 30 more credits by the end of this winter, or do you mean next winter? Don't you have to take chem 2, bio 2, orgo 1&2, micro, physics 1&2, A&P 2 and a couple of electives. Just curious, are you taking summer courses also? Is orgo offered in the winter at your school? If you're taking these classes consecutively in the summer to get towards finishing them early then power to you!

Don't take your PCAT too early though, took mine in 2012 and one of my prospective schools requires the PCAT to be taken less than a year from the time of application. So now I have to take it again, something I didn't want to do. Just speaking from experience

Just wondering, how will you be able to finish out approximately 30 more credits by the end of this winter, or do you mean next winter? Don't you have to take chem 2, bio 2, orgo 1&2, micro, physics 1&2, A&P 2 and a couple of electives. Just curious, are you taking summer courses also? Is orgo offered in the winter at your school? If you're taking these classes consecutively in the summer to get towards finishing them early then power to you!
The only classes that I need to take for Wayne State are
gen Chem 2
Organ 1 & 2
Physics 1
Micro
Fun Physio

For this upcoming fall I will be taking
Gen Chem 2
Organ 1
Micro

Which should not be too tough. I had to take A&P, Gen chem 1, Basic Comp 1, Socio last winter.

For the winter semester

Organ 2
Phys
Fund physio (this should be review of A&P)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take your PCAT too early though, took mine in 2012 and one of my prospective schools requires the PCAT to be taken less than a year from the time of application. So now I have to take it again, something I didn't want to do. Just speaking from experience
I already have paid for it and I have been studying from collins for last 3 months. I have been doing great in all sections. I am taking another pearson exam this weekend It should be preview of how i will perform on the PCAT.

Also, the schools I am interested in have about a 5 year limit. I would like to apply to Wayne State Pharmacy school, LECOM(last resort), mcphs. I would like to be accepted into mcph. They do not require a PCAT score :)

Then just do your best and don't psych yourself out. Make sure to take a break the day before the PCAT. You'll do great :)

Then just do your best and don't psych yourself out. Make sure to take a break the day before the PCAT. You'll do great :)
Thank you! I really hope I do well. Without this site I wouldn't know a single thing.

The only classes that I need to take for Wayne State are
gen Chem 2
Organ 1 & 2
Physics 1
Micro
Fun Physio

For this upcoming fall I will be taking
Gen Chem 2
Organ 1
Micro

Which should not be too tough. I had to take A&P, Gen chem 1, Basic Comp 1, Socio last winter.

For the winter semester

Organ 2
Phys
Fund physio (this should be review of A&P)
Your school allows you to take Chem 2 and Orgo 1 together at the same time?
They actually offer orgo 2 and physics during the winter?
A&P, Chem 1, and the rest are pretty easy compared to Orgo and beyond. I guess if you have the mind to do it then do it!
It kind of seems like you're rushing, are you?
I think you should be fine with those classes seeing as though you've done well so far, but don't rush yourself if you don't have to.

Your school allows you to take Chem 2 and Orgo 1 together at the same time?
They actually offer orgo 2 and physics during the winter?
A&P, Chem 1, and the rest are pretty easy compared to Orgo and beyond. I guess if you have the mind to do it then do it!
It kind of seems like you're rushing, are you?
I think you should be fine with those classes seeing as though you've done well so far, but don't rush yourself if you don't have to.
I believe they would since I am on dean list for chemistry? I got highest grade in my classes:clap:. Also, I am used to working and studying for hours... went days without sleep last semester :pirate:. I am just scared they see I only have 3 classes and don't give me a chance:yeahright:

I believe they would since I am on dean list for chemistry? I got highest grade in my classes:clap:. Also, I am used to working and studying for hours... went days without sleep last semester :pirate:. I am just scared they see I only have 3 classes and don't give me a chance:yeahright:
Well in pharmcas, you have the option of giving them your planned/expected coursework. So they'll see that you're planning to take more classes. Being on the dean's list is great, but it won't give you the permission you need to take those courses together. If you haven't registered for them already then I would go to your advisor to get a request for those classes to be taken at the same time because I'm sure that when you try registering it won't let you do both and see what they say. Most schools wouldn't allow anyone to do that. If they say no, try to talk to your dean. If the dean says no, it may not be the best path for you.
Most people finish their prereqs in the full 2 years. If you're worried about schools not seeing the more than 3 courses, that is what the planned coursework section is for in pharmcas.
On the other hand, taking a crazy course load like that may show schools that you can handle it. It would be awesome if you got an A in everything from here on out.

Well in pharmcas, you have the option of giving them your planned/expected coursework. So they'll see that you're planning to take more classes. Being on the dean's list is great, but it won't give you the permission you need to take those courses together. If you haven't registered for them already then I would go to your advisor to get a request for those classes to be taken at the same time because I'm sure that when you try registering it won't let you do both and see what they say. Most schools wouldn't allow anyone to do that. If they say no, try to talk to your dean. If the dean says no, it may not be the best path for you.
Most people finish their prereqs in the full 2 years. If you're worried about schools not seeing the more than 3 courses, that is what the planned coursework section is for in pharmcas.
On the other hand, taking a crazy course load like that may show schools that you can handle it. It would be awesome if you got an A in everything from here on out.
Okay, so I went to see my adviser and he said that I can't take the classes together unless I get dean's approval. I filled out the paperwork and now have to wait and see what he will say. Also, I didn't mean I have only taken 3 classes total but only 3 sciences courses total. So overall I have taken 9 classes total. Sorry about confusion.

Okay, so I went to see my adviser and he said that I can't take the classes together unless I get dean's approval. I filled out the paperwork and now have to wait and see what he will say. Also, I didn't mean I have only taken 3 classes total but only 3 sciences courses total. So overall I have taken 9 classes total. Sorry about confusion.
I tried doing the same thing at my school and they let me, but it didn't go so well. You're on track so don't worry about all of the technicalities of courses. The dean may want to talk to you, or it may be best to talk to the dean in this case so they get to know you and are able to determine whether or not you're capable in person instead of on paper. Your GPA is amazing, but those are lower division/freshmen courses so it may be a difficult decision to make.

I tried doing the same thing at my school and they let me, but it didn't go so well. You're on track so don't worry about all of the technicalities of courses. The dean may want to talk to you, or it may be best to talk to the dean in this case so they get to know you and are able to determine whether or not you're capable in person instead of on paper. Your GPA is amazing, but those are lower division/freshmen courses so it may be a difficult decision to make.
I really hope they will let me. I emailed the dean last night explain my situation and my pass grades and other activities. I do not want to wait an entire year just for one class. I am taking PCAT tomorrow wish me look!

I really hope they will let me. I emailed the dean last night explain my situation and my pass grades and other activities. I do not want to wait an entire year just for one class. I am taking PCAT tomorrow wish me look!
You won't have to wait a year. No matter what, you'll still be applying to the Fall 2015 cycle. It won't matter whether your finish your pre-reqs tomorrow or in may 2015, you're still applying to the same thing. Have you thought about what you want to do if you finish your pre-reqs early?

You won't have to wait a year. No matter what, you'll still be applying to the Fall 2015 cycle. It won't matter whether your finish your pre-reqs tomorrow or in may 2015, you're still applying to the same thing. Have you thought about what you want to do if you finish your pre-reqs early?
I thought If I apply this fall then I have to finish all my pre-reqs by may, 2015.

I thought If I apply this fall then I have to finish all my pre-reqs by may, 2015.
I think its by June, but that is my point exactly. So you don't have to worry if you can't take these classes together, because you have a full year to do so. So you don't have to finish in winter '14. You can finish in spring or summer 1 of 2015.
P.S. Good luck tomorrow and don't stress out.

Keep us posted !! GL !! :)