Appropriate Diversity Topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted924800

Hi all,

I've really appreciated the feedback I've received from this community thus far, and I was hoping for insight once again. I’m struggling to figure out whether my diversity essay topic is appropriate. It seems more interesting than talking about my time being a high school oboist or Filipino cultural dancer (about 50-60 hours for dances).

The story is basically:

People who are usually underprivileged for certain attributes (URM, woman, LGBTQ+ identities) have greater voice than others in a supposedly neutral college coalition (for lobbying at the state level) which discriminates against white/male/cis people and I supported leaving it because it silenced/bullied my student government colleagues simply because they were “privileged.”

Is this appropriate? I don’t want to scare people, but using these characteristics to justify a voice over others really made me think about diversity. My story takes place at the public meeting I chaired with protestors in opposition. Thank you so much for looking.

Members don't see this ad.

Writing an essay about discrimination against white/male/cis people is probably not the best idea. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong it's a bad idea.

Reactions: 8 users
if i was an adcom, i would be much more interested to read about your time as an oboist or Filipino cultural dancer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Writing an essay about discrimination against white/male/cis people is probably not the best idea. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong it's a bad idea.
Agreed. Someone who wrote something like that in an essay is an autoreject. We simply don't want aggrieved people as students, nor do we want advocates who are better off in polictics.

if i was an adcom, i would be much more interested to read about your time as an oboist or Filipino cultural dancer
DITTO!

Stop this kind of thinking if you ever want to go to medical school. Not saying you're wrong, or right, but this is NOT the way you go about gaining admission with very liberal Adcoms. I second talking about the cultural dancing; every premed and their mom played some kind of instrument (from what I could tell when during interviews we did "fun facts")

Play the game sir/ma’am. Your plan exposes a dangerous misinterpretation of the current rules of the game (despite how stupid the rules may or may not be)

Well part of diversity is learning to accept other cultures, right? You want to show that you can assimilate, not just stand out. Just my $.02. So agree w/everything that's been said above.