Appropriate Response to Acceptance Call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syfte3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With october 15 less than two weeks away, if I actually get an acceptance, I was wondering if there is an appropriate response to the call? My real reaction would be screaming/ jumping up and down but realistically should I just say thank you and be calm and composed? would that come off as disinterested? I've searched and didn't find any other threads on this.

Members don't see this ad.

w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t!

Reactions: 1 user
I have thought about this too.. Absolutely no idea what I would say to the person on the other end of the phone, because like you said.. the first instinct isn't super professional haha

Members don't see this ad :)
With october 15 less than two weeks away, if I actually get an acceptance, I was wondering if there is an appropriate response to the call? My real reaction would be screaming/ jumping up and down but realistically should I just say thank you and be calm and composed? would that come off as disinterested? I've searched and didn't find any other threads on this.

OCTOBER 15.

The day when I prank call all my friends applying to medical school. :smuggrin:

"Great, but why should I pick you and not the other school who called me this morning?"

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Don't worry. They aren't going to reject you because you don't react the right way. I would avoid cussing and you will probably be ok.

"Great, but why should I pick you and not the other school who called me this morning?"

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
of the 3 interviews I had only one told us they're going to call. i know the admissions number (yeah embarrassing.. from calling relentlessly while on the WL last summer) and honestly if I see it calling me that day i will probably let it go to voicemail because I will be balling instantly.

I have an interview on Oct 15. If I'm lucky enough to get a call from my top choice school, it's going to be an interesting moment:

INTERVIEWER: So, tell me about yourself.

* Cell phone rings*

ME: Excuse me, I must take this call. Hello, yes this is SilverCat. I've been what!? Accepted with a full tuition scholarship?! Of course I'm going! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!

*Looks at interviewer*

ME: So where were we again?

I guess I can keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

I kinda screamed and acted excited. And she went yay in a excited voice lol.

O woops that was my interview invite response.

Don't worry. They aren't going to reject you because you don't react the right way. I would avoid cussing and you will probably be ok.

This. I don't think it matters how unprofessional you sound during this phone call, the school won't say "oh wait, actually never mind, you're rejected."

This. I don't think it matters how unprofessional you sound during this phone call, the school won't say "oh wait, actually never mind, you're rejected."

Hmmmm...ultimate troll moment.

A better question is: appropriate response to rejection call?

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you accept me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

"Hang on a sec" - <drop phone and proceed to go streaking> <pick up phone> - "Thank you very much, I'm very excited about your school and I can't wait until the fall."

Good lord, you guys need to relax. I don't know why this even needs to be discussed.

hello-yes-this-is-dog.png

I have an interview on Oct 15. If I'm lucky enough to get a call from my top choice school, it's going to be an interesting moment:

INTERVIEWER: So, tell me about yourself.

* Cell phone rings*

ME: Excuse me, I must take this call. Hello, yes this is SilverCat. I've been what!? Accepted with a full tuition scholarship?! Of course I'm going! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!

*Looks at interviewer*

ME: So where were we again?

I guess I can keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

!!!! I would love to live this moment. :laugh:

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you accept me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

they ain't gonna call you to reject you. They'll send a snail mail letter or an email or just update your status page and not tell you. They're cowards like that, all of them!

"Congrats you've been accepted to our medical school!"

"OMG YES!!!!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU"

"So John, how do you feel about attending our school?"

"John? This is Michael."

"......Oops, wrong number, sorry, bye."

"John? This is Michael."

Bummer

"John? This is Michael."

Problem? ;)

Haha loving this thread. Now I really hope I do get a call so I can post my response.

Probably something along the lines of stunned silence and fumbling over my words of gratitude. And then probably proceeding to skip class the rest of the day/ week/ year :D

I think I may be able to remain calm since my inner struggle between hyperventilating, crying, and jumping up and down will somehow cancel themselves out.

"mmmmm... so what are you wearing - cuz i'm in my birthday suit" - in the creepiest voice possible.

This quote never gets old. Liam Neeson is a god.

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

"John? This is Michael."

A couple weeks ago I had a dream that this happened.

Why would you plan your response, that's silly, but funny stuff in this thread. Good luck to you all.

Excitement is appropriate. At one of my interviews, an ADCOM said the favorite part of her job is calling applicants, and informing them of their acceptances.

I'm sure they fully enjoy hearing your enthusiasm when they tell you that you have been selected.
I'm hoping for an acceptance call on the 16th, and I will definitely be excited etc if I get in haha.

"Good luck."

I've said it before, venom has the best avatar on SDN.

I agree 100000% It just makes me laugh picturing birdman in so many different scenarios.

For example:

birdman submits amcas. Cue avatar.
birdman gets an interview invite. Cue avatar.
birdman gets an acceptance. Cue avatar.

and what's better is that I sometimes picture a super nerdy, stereotypical premed doing it and I can't help but laugh my ass off.