Appropriate topic for diversity secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlife52525

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I'm from a rural community in the Northeast. (meaning rural, but not to the extreme of locations in the midwest per se).

This was my idea for a diversity secondary and I would appreciate any feedback:

-I want to talk about coming from a rural area and a public school system where gangs, drugs, and teen pregnancy were very very prevalent. Our school had a lot of immigrant families as well and this built/grew my understanding of cultural awareness/diversity per se. I will then talk about how I used this background experience during college to mentor URM STEM students from disadvantaged backgrounds and elaborate on what that taught me and the perspective I can bring to medicine. Finally, end with wanting to serve diverse patient populations...etc.

Some basic self info- while I lived in a rural community, I am an Asian ORM, with a PCP physician-parent so in no ways do I come from poverty. Some of my schools had longer character limits for this question so I thought I could expand on on the rural upbringing part there? Is this an appropriate diversity essay me to use? I dealt with a severe illness growing up and it made me want to do medicine, but so much of my PS is about it so I don't want to repeat. Aso, the STEM mentoring thing was very very briefly discussed in my activities, so I thought I could elaborate here?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-
I'm from a rural community in the Northeast. (meaning rural, but not to the extreme of locations in the midwest per se).

This was my idea for a diversity secondary and I would appreciate any feedback:

-I want to talk about coming from a rural area and a public school system where gangs, drugs, and teen pregnancy were very very prevalent. Our school had a lot of immigrant families as well and this built/grew my understanding of cultural awareness/diversity per se. I will then talk about how I used this background experience during college to mentor URM STEM students from disadvantaged backgrounds and elaborate on what that taught me and the perspective I can bring to medicine. Finally, end with wanting to serve diverse patient populations...etc.

Some basic self info- while I lived in a rural community, I am an Asian ORM, with a PCP physician-parent so in no ways do I come from poverty. Some of my schools had longer character limits for this question so I thought I could expand on on the rural upbringing part there? Is this an appropriate diversity essay me to use? I dealt with a severe illness growing up and it made me want to do medicine, but so much of my PS is about it so I don't want to repeat. Aso, the STEM mentoring thing was very very briefly discussed in my activities, so I thought I could elaborate here?

Thank you!!
Sounds good

Reactions: 1 users