Appropriate topic for diversity secondary?

medlife52525

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2018
    Hi all-
    I'm from a rural community in the Northeast. (meaning rural, but not to the extreme of locations in the midwest per se).

This was my idea for a diversity secondary and I would appreciate any feedback:

-I want to talk about coming from a rural area and a public school system where gangs, drugs, and teen pregnancy were very very prevalent. Our school had a lot of immigrant families as well and this built/grew my understanding of cultural awareness/diversity per se. I will then talk about how I used this background experience during college to mentor URM STEM students from disadvantaged backgrounds and elaborate on what that taught me and the perspective I can bring to medicine. Finally, end with wanting to serve diverse patient populations...etc.

Some basic self info- while I lived in a rural community, I am an Asian ORM, with a PCP physician-parent so in no ways do I come from poverty. Some of my schools had longer character limits for this question so I thought I could expand on on the rural upbringing part there? Is this an appropriate diversity essay me to use? I dealt with a severe illness growing up and it made me want to do medicine, but so much of my PS is about it so I don't want to repeat. Aso, the STEM mentoring thing was very very briefly discussed in my activities, so I thought I could elaborate here?

Thank you!!

Goro

10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Silver Member
    Gold Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      Hi all-
      I'm from a rural community in the Northeast. (meaning rural, but not to the extreme of locations in the midwest per se).

This was my idea for a diversity secondary and I would appreciate any feedback:

-I want to talk about coming from a rural area and a public school system where gangs, drugs, and teen pregnancy were very very prevalent. Our school had a lot of immigrant families as well and this built/grew my understanding of cultural awareness/diversity per se. I will then talk about how I used this background experience during college to mentor URM STEM students from disadvantaged backgrounds and elaborate on what that taught me and the perspective I can bring to medicine. Finally, end with wanting to serve diverse patient populations...etc.

Some basic self info- while I lived in a rural community, I am an Asian ORM, with a PCP physician-parent so in no ways do I come from poverty. Some of my schools had longer character limits for this question so I thought I could expand on on the rural upbringing part there? Is this an appropriate diversity essay me to use? I dealt with a severe illness growing up and it made me want to do medicine, but so much of my PS is about it so I don't want to repeat. Aso, the STEM mentoring thing was very very briefly discussed in my activities, so I thought I could elaborate here?

Thank you!!
      Sounds good

Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.