April 1 or May 20 MCAT date? Which would be better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning on applying for medical school next summer and would like some input on which MCAT date I should sign up for. My university has finals for classes late April and finishes up by May 3.

Now, I will be taking a reduced course load (12 credits) for the Winter 2016 semester and taking a Kaplan prep course so that I can devote time to studying. (I would consider the January 2016 test dates but have 18 credits this Fall and I think it's unrealistic)

My question is: Would a April 1 or May 20 test date work best for my situation?

Pros for April 1:
-Scores will be released in time to submit application as soon as it opens in June.
-April 1 might not be too bad in relation to my other courses. It's a month before finals so I shouldn't be too bogged down with class studying/concerns.
Pros for May 20:
-Would give me an additional 2-3 weeks of concentrated MCAT studying following finals.

I mean, would taking the May 20 test put me at a application disadvantage if my scores aren't released until June 21?

Thank you for your insight and help! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Come join the April preppers thread! May help you see why other people chose April? You could select The One you are leaning towards right now, then change later if needed, just to reserve seat.