April 2017 MCAT -- Suggestions for students that cannot take Biochem college class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naivePremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have realized that Biochem is crucial to the new MCAT, and it consists of 30% of the questions in it, maybe even more.

I cannot take the biochem class at my school, and I am taking the MCAT in april. SO i am stressing out right now.

Could you please point me in the right direction about any online courses like kaplan and how much they cost, if they work, or any other resources (i even read about a professor posting free youtube biochem lectures); basically what is going to give me the best chance for a high score.

I have at least 5 months until my test date (almost 6) . What is the best way for me to go about this ? Thank you all for the suggestions, this really means a lot to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Would Alhern's online biochem lectures and textbook along with the Kaplan review books be sufficient to prepare for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Memorize Kaplan's Biochemistry review book.
I could get started on that right away. if kaplan includes everything I need to know then I shall do that; does the review book go in depth with the material? I am getting scared, because of the decent amount people saying that taking the MCAT without biochem is not a good idea, but I have no other choice. thank you for the suggestion.

I plan on taking the MCAT in early May and I also will not have taken biochem yet (or organic)... I downloaded a biochem textbook and I'm using TPR and ExamKrackers and basically any other review tools I can find. I'm actually going to begin studying within the next 1-2 weeks so that I can learn the material. What ive been reading is that this new MCAT is much less content based and memorizing and more reasoning and critical thinking so that means we don't have to worry too much about not knowing every single little thing

I could get started on that right away. if kaplan includes everything I need to know then I shall do that; does the review book go in depth with the material? I am getting scared, because of the decent amount people saying that taking the MCAT without biochem is not a good idea, but I have no other choice. thank you for the suggestion.

Yeah the Kaplan biochem book is really thorough and comprehensive so that should be a great resource for you. You can also supplement with video biochem lectures by Dr. Ahern (https://www.youtube.com/user/oharow/playlists)

For the test, make sure to have an understanding of all subjects touched on in foundational concept one. Notably, make sure to memorize the structure and unique qualities of all amino acids (including 3 and 1 letter abbreviations), primary/secondary/tertiary/quaternary structure of proteins and the amino acids which lead to the structural motifs therein as well as how they are modified (know was Y124G means), enzyme function and kinetics, bioenergetics and metabolism pathways, and the basics of the molecular biology dogma and how it is realized.

Khan Academy will get you far in understanding the majority of these subjects for MCAT purposes. Supplement with review books from whatever company you choose. Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry is often cited as one of the best textbooks in the field, although I haven't used it myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly didn't find anything in Biochem that was too complicated to learn on your own provided you have a moderately strong Chem/Ochem foundation. You'll be fine with review books and KA videos to supplement.

These are great advices and very informative, thank you to all for sharing. Anyone here have taken the new MCAT without having taken the biochem class?

All the previous people have given you great advice . I'd like to add another resource that I found to be very helpful, AK Lecture on YouTube . The dude is amazing but he does go over lots of details that you don't need to know. Understand the big picture and the small details that affect metabolic pathways like redox reactions and such .

Reactions: 1 users
All the previous people have given you great advice . I'd like to add another resource that I found to be very helpful, AK Lecture on YouTube . The dude is amazing but he does go over lots of details that you don't need to know. Understand the big picture and the small details that affect metabolic pathways like redox reactions and such .
Awesome, thank you!