This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jth94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question for y’all! I am a current DO applicant but most likely won’t get in this year so I’m planning on doing a post Bacc program with either KCU or ARCOM. I was wondering what your thoughts were on either one? I interviewed for ARCOM’s med school this year but was placed on the waitlist and I fell in love with the school. I love the smaller masters class size (up to 50) for ARCOM’s masters and how we can get to know the faculty at the school pretty well. ARCOM’s tuition is only 7k for the post Bacc which is also a plus but it also doesn’t have as many medical schools around it as KCU does.
I honestly don’t know too much about KCU, I know it’s a bigger school and probably has more possibilities to join a medical school after the post Bacc but tuition I believe is close to 30k and it has a bigger class size for masters so I’m sure it’s more cut throat.
I just need help deciding which one I should go to when thinking about long term goals! Or does it really matter where I do a post Bacc program? Location doesn’t matter although I do prefer smaller towns but it’s not that big of a deal. Any help would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What part of your application do you believe needs the most help? Do you need to do a masters program (poor UG GPA)? Typically, if you made it to the interview, you have what it takes on paper. Maybe you will have more luck just applying early and broadly next cycle. When did you interview at ARCOM?

What part of your application do you believe needs the most help? Do you need to do a masters program (poor UG GPA)? Typically, if you made it to the interview, you have what it takes on paper. Maybe you will have more luck just applying early and broadly next cycle. When did you interview at ARCOM?

mcat was average but I’ve had a super light load the past two years of school (like one or two classes/semester) because my wife and I had twins so it was really to help me get back into things before med school so I don’t drown too much as well as to show I can actually take Upper level course loads. I interviewed at ARCOM in late August

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably don’t NEED to do a masters but it would help prepare me a little bit during this next application cycle

If it were only between the two, I would pick ARCOM's solely due to cost (20k difference WOW) and the success of their students making it into their med school class (assuming successful completion). If you do decide on this route, I would still apply to 5-10 DO schools post completion. It's hard to tell what the competition will look like but a B or better will guarantee the interview at least! Best of luck!!

Thanks for the response! Do you happen to know the number of successful students that were admitted into ARCOM’s school? I was under the impression that it was only about 10-15 out of 40ish

Thanks for the response! Do you happen to know the number of successful students that were admitted into ARCOM’s school? I was under the impression that it was only about 10-15 out of 40ish
I will find that out for you

Admission is dependent on performance AND networking (building good relations and name for yourself) while you are in the program. While I do not know the fate of the students that are not admitted, your success will come out of what you make of the program. I would believe that if you keep your nose to the grindstone, maintain at least a B average, and continue to better yourself while doing so (proving your dedication to medicine), you should have a good outcome. Unless a different program GUARANTEES acceptance, this should be a pretty good option of a program overall.

Admission is dependent on performance AND networking (building good relations and name for yourself) while you are in the program. While I do not know the fate of the students that are not admitted, your success will come out of what you make of the program. I would believe that if you keep your nose to the grindstone, maintain at least a B average, and continue to better yourself while doing so (proving your dedication to medicine), you should have a good outcome. Unless a different program GUARANTEES acceptance, this should be a pretty good option of a program overall.
I really appreciate it! Especially the fact it’s a smaller school will definitely help me build those relationships. Thank you for your help! Another question though! Do you think that everyone in the program applied to DO schools while attending to the program so that they go straight into medical school? Or no?

It's the goal for most people attending 1 yr medical masters to matriculate the following Fall

ARCOM
- cheaper
- you get to take an ACTUAL med school class (anatomy I think)
- People I know who have interviewed there loved it (not sure how admin/staff/program itself is tho)
- smaller class size = more comradery and attention from faculty

KCU
- bigger city more to do
- more established program and possibly more well known among DO schools
- solid outcomes overall
- guaranteed interview if you meet requirements

Check out the ARCOM and KCU thread for information from current students. I'm sure both programs will help you figure out studying etc.. Since you don't need to do one I will warn you that performing poorly in one of these programs can only hurt you. Transitioning from this program to med school will probably make life easier for you but I still believe there will be an adjustment / struggle when starting med school. Good luck!

What are your opinions on Touro Nevada's masters program?

I don't know much about it, but I assume there is some linkage between the program and the medical school. This is an option if you really want to go to Touro Nevada for some compelling reason, but it will likely be less heard of among other DO schools. I'd say programs that are more recognizable and have been around longer, are transparent in their student outcomes (number of students entering med school from program), and allow you to take classes alongside med students are more valuable in improving your application (in general).

Anatomy is graded very hard at Arcom. We had a handful of As in a msb + arcom class of 200 people.

You can get in with a B to arcom in anatomy, but it wouldnt look good for other med schools since they probably expect an A from you.

29/40 students got accepted to ARCOM and not all applied to the medical school. I will be starting the MSB program next month and will also be reapplying to medical school this cycle. Best of luck!
I have some questions about the MSB program and wondering if I could PM you them?^

I have some questions about the MSB program and wondering if I could PM you them?^
I am currently in the MSB program and accepted to ARCOM for next year. You can PM me as well if you want.

• Care