Are DO schools easier to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

redwingsmd

I am just getting started with the med school process. i will be attending Kaplan class starting this fall and will take the MCAT in April of 2004. I am trying to plan ahead as far as schools go. I have heard that DO schools are generally easier to get into than MD schools. Has anyone found any truth in this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Every time I reply to a thread like this, DrMom follows with ?do a search on the topic, it has been discussed ad nauseam? or something similar. Therefore, maybe you should do a search first...

Originally posted by irish79
Every time I reply to a thread like this, DrMom follows with ?do a search on the topic, it has been discussed ad nauseam? or something similar. Therefore, maybe you should do a search first...

:laugh:

Feel free to reply ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Statwise, osteopathic schools are slightly easier to get into. This is from personal experience of applying to both kinds of schools. But they are not THAT much easier to gain admission into. You still need a good MCAT and high GPA to be competative.

I am going to an osteopathic school (CCOM), and I am very happy about it. So please, don't flame me for the post! I'm just stating fact.

To the OP: Yes!!

Generally, you can get in with lower stats (GPA and MCAT) because ad coms look at the whole package. DO schools look for the more well rounded applicant. But technically there are more people applying for each seat available for DO schools than MD schools.

Yes. Sort of. Not exactly.

Here is my usual post to this:

"It is also more competitive to get into osteopathic schools: Fewer than one in five applicants are accepted."

-Kaplan Medical School Admissions Adviser 2000 Ed. page 42

Some people have an immediate knee jerk reaction to this because they don't understand what all of the above posts are saying. Yes, on average you can have a slightly lower GPA and MCAT, but other factors count for much more. Overall, it is harder.

It depends on which MD schools are getting compared to the DO schools. In general, most DO schools accept applicants with similar stats, though some like KCOM are more selective.
DO stats don't compare to those at Harvard, but they don't compare to those at Nassau either.

Originally posted by Aberfly
It depends on which MD schools are getting compared to the DO schools. In general, most DO schools accept applicants with similar stats, though some like KCOM are more selective.
DO stats don't compare to those at Harvard, but they don't compare to those at Nassau either.
:rolleyes:This is where the knee jerking begins. Certain people try to disprove a mean by citing extreme examples.

it is generally easier to get into a DO school, but from what ive heard, DO school is harder than MD school because we have to take all the osteopathic courses and lab, in addition to the courses that md schools offer. the comlex (DO board) is also harder and much longer than the USMLE.
so dont think that just because you got into a DO school, that its going to be a breeze.

Osteopathic school have a tendency to look at the "whole person" and that includes life experiences. You will find that there are a lot more Non-Traditional Students in ostepathic schools. That in fact could be a major reason for the lower scores on MCATs (been out of school longer) and lower GPA (maybe majored in Comm and partied through undergrad). Do I think they are easier? No, just different. And I feel that this difference translates into a better (and more mature...if you compare the preosteo and preallo forums) physician.
stomper

Originally posted by jkhamlin
Here is my usual post to this:

"It is also more competitive to get into osteopathic schools: Fewer than one in five applicants are accepted."

-Kaplan Medical School Admissions Adviser 2000 Ed. page 42

Some people have an immediate knee jerk reaction to this because they don't understand what all of the above posts are saying. Yes, on average you can have a slightly lower GPA and MCAT, but other factors count for much more. Overall, it is harder.

I dont want to add fuel to the fire since I don't feel strongly either way about the DO/MD debate.

The truth, however, is that many applicants that apply to DO programs don't even bother to apply to MD programs, or apply to very few because they self-select themselves (in or out).

Because of self-selecting, using straight stats is a poor way to measure competitiveness. If you do it that way, Harvard Medical School is less selective than Boston University by far. We know that is not the case.

Yes, D.O. schools are easier to get into. Average students at a D.O. school have as many or more extracurricular activities than M.D. students. However, D.O. students usually have lower MCAT and gpa scores. Why? Mainly because in some parts of the country and especially around the world, a D.O. does not carry the same weight as an M.D. despite the same education. :(

Over the summer, I was doing some research on this topic. I remember reading the following statistic:

5 people apply for every Osteopathic seat available, while 4 people apply for every Allopathic seat available.

You will have to forgive me, but I can't remember the source on this. I'll try to locate it again and post a link to the site. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by exmike
If you do it that way, Harvard Medical School is less selective than Boston University by far. We know that is not the case.

Columbia interviews 1/3 of their applicants a far greater percentage than Finch or Drexel. People don't bother applying to Columbia unless they think they have a shot.