Are high school science teachers medical school rejects?

I'm glad that he was a good teacher.

but still, there are still a few science teachers who are complete R *****...

And more than a few self proclaimed 17-year-olds who have nothing better to do than troll SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad that he was a good teacher.

but still, there are still a few science teachers who are complete R *****...

I can name a few 17 year olds that aren't the sharpest pin...

Members don't see this ad :)
You prove my point 100%

At my high school we have 2 science teachers who had PhD's

1 had a biology phd and the other had a chemistry phd

LOLOLO don't major in science

period.

:laugh::laugh:

R U serious!?

Your point was not even proven at all. Why don't you ask them their ug and gGPA? You would be surprised at some of their GPAs (some are pretty high). However, the job market, more specifically for academic one, is really bad. The difficult does not arise in undergrad, nor grad, it happens during their post-doc years. It is really difficult to get funding and these people are praying every night that they have positive results and that they can publish. If they don't, they have no chance in hell of getting a job and will have to extend their post-doc and try again. After some point, it does not become a sustainable living and they drop out of the rat race all together. Thus ending up as high school teachers or who knows what.

They are not all medical school rejects. They are just dealing with a s****y market.

Last edited:
Troll thread still at top of page? Strong work, OP. :thumbup:

Lets just say some of us want to clue him into what the real world is like before he gets some ridiculous misconception. My way of giving back. :D

Based on his last few comments, he likely is 17 and just being an idiot or an arrogant prick or he isn't 17 and is just trolling. Any normal person would've stopped by now even if they were 17. It's funny though so it's entertaining if it keeps going.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is absurd, and Mr. Walrus, you're assertions are quite laughable.

Most public high school teachers have education degrees, not science degrees to start with because most states require that. Furthermore, you have perhaps graduated high school and that is the extent of your education. Congrats, you are now qualified to tutor grade school students and work a variety of minimum wage jobs! You're not even old enough to work as a waiter most places and you certainly aren't old enough to make the judgements you're making.

I wish you the best in your educational endeavors as well as your hopeful increase in maturity. Until then, get off of SDN or come up with real questions.

P.S. In the northeast, high school teachers start between 60K and 80K

can i retake my A- in advanced biochemical applied calc based physics? oh whats the point. might as well just go D.O.

Never go D.O! Carib M.D or death!! D.O's are basically chiropractors...

Stop replying to this idiot and maybe he will loose his self-image, not to say he has one. Obviously he is trolling or is a complete *******. Yes I used that word. Anyways, I'll see you when your my kids biology teacher cause you didn't make it into med school. So long gay boi.

-No harm intended.

I don't know if it's a national thing, but at my high school teachers who sign a contract have their undergraduate debt forgiven. Also, some people just like teaching. Medical school isn't the only option for biology majors. Are people who work in laboratories medical school rejects? Maybe some of them, but certainly not all. Medical school isn't for all science majors.

You prove my point 100%

At my high school we have 2 science teachers who had PhD's

1 had a biology phd and the other had a chemistry phd

LOLOLO don't major in science

period.

:laugh::laugh:

We must have went to the same high school lol.

Well one of my plans is teaching biology in any high school after my journey in dental medicine.

This thread is so stupid. Not everyone who studies science wants to be a doctor. If no science graduates became teachers who would teach science in schools?

Doh

For example I go major in biology so i can become a doctor, I realize I am not smart enough and I hate biology. Most jobs in science are crappy tech jobs. So i enroll in teachers college to become a science teacher which makes around 50k a year and has a lot more job security then lab technician research jobs.

Agree anyone?

At my high school, all the science teachers had high hopes but weren't good enough to get into medical school =P

Well at least at my high school, most of the high school teachers did realize the salaries are higher than working in labs. I did have one high school professor who taught part time at a local university. He worked 2-3 jobs and was making upwards of $150k. Most science teachers at least at my high school were making $70k-$120k depending on how long they have been at our school.

To be honest, if I do not become a doctor, I've always considered going for a masters and just become a teacher in chemistry. Not too shabby, most science teachers I believe start at 50k and make upwards of 70k+ after 5 years or so. From what I've heard, teachers who I talked to said you can make good money on the side with tutoring and teaching summer courses. It's a 9-5 job pretty much for them and my AP Chemistry teacher used to tell us about stuff he did on weekends. He used to grade our exams/quizzes on Fridays so he could have the rest of the weekend to himself. I would definitely say it's a less stressful field than medicine. I remember him telling me he was a pre-med student in college but didn't have success applying so he decided to become a high school teacher. A very intelligent guy, he was very passionate about AP Chemistry. None of his students got lower than a 4 on the exam our year besides one senior who fell asleep during it and got a 3... lol.

Stanford's got a current med student who used to teach chemistry at my high school. Another University has a current professor who used to teach physics at my high school. And another teacher at my high school is going to stay a teacher (among many other I'm sure but this guy...) he already spent a few years making $400K/year out of college as a technical consultant (back in 2001) so why not do what's best for the kids by being a teacher?

anyway to answer your question, my personal experience (going to urban public high schools) tells me the answer to your question is "no." But I haven't done any research on it so you shouldn't take my opinion seriously.

Wtf. Where do you live cause those are some steep salaries. Teachers in az get paid ****.

This is the stupidest thread on here that I've ever stumbled upon...

Wtf. Where do you live cause those are some steep salaries. Teachers in az get paid ****.

New York has some higher salaries for teachers because of the cost of living. Here in Oregon, the salaries for new teachers start under $40k and get up to the mid $60k range depending on the district. Larger districts could have some teachers at over $70, but they are rare. Most administrators start at the upper end of teachers and go into the six figures.

This is the stupidest thread on here that I've ever stumbled upon...

I agree. This thread should die, get locked, then deleted. I did a happy dance when IamtheWalrus was banned. Too bad the little troll will probably be back under a different username all too soon.

I agree. This thread should die, get locked, then deleted. I did a happy dance when IamtheWalrus was banned. Too bad the little troll will probably be back under a different username all too soon.

Why delete something that is 100 percent true?

Yes and no. Some strange people actually like teaching snot-nosed teenagers. Go figure. P.S. sarcasm..

For example I go major in biology so i can become a doctor, I realize I am not smart enough and I hate biology. Most jobs in science are crappy tech jobs. So i enroll in teachers college to become a science teacher which makes around 50k a year and has a lot more job security then lab technician research jobs.

Agree anyone?

At my high school, all the science teachers had high hopes but weren't good enough to get into medical school =P
Clearly OP is a troll

What?

you mean like 20-30k minimum wage lab jobs?
All that money for 50k in debt and 4-5 years of undergrad...
You're better of in a trade =D

LOL are you serious?

That's why I'm majoring in medical laboratory science or nursing =D

Following your passion bad advice imo

This isn't universally true. This is often the case starting out for a lot of grads in a saturated market like here in Boston, but usually after a couple of years of hard work and not getting on anyone's nerves, you make the connections and develop the skills necessary to move up and make a decent salary. 4-5 years of developing a general base of knowledge doesn't entitle you to bling and prestige right out of the gate. The fact is most undergrads don't know s***, not even nursing students. Unless you're brilliant, those first two years of crappy salary being the grad students' and PI's b**** are going to be invaluable as far as garnering experience and the connections to move on up.