Are med schools phasing out math as a pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@mimelim had a story once about how a patient was almost killed by a fellow resident because he didn't know Calculus
I'd like to hear this as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate math, although I'll admit I consider myself to be pretty good at it. You missed the point. We're talking about college and why medical schools require you to do certain things in college curricula. Nobody said anything about life experiences, those are looked at via extracurricular activities, not a transcript. Like I said before, these are general prerequisites, nobody is requiring you to take advanced courses or get a Ph.D. They are requiring you, however, to have at least a general knowledge of things outside of medicine.

Oh and don't worry, the higher ups in charge of these things aren't as dense and narrow minded as you. These "unrelated" requirements aren't going away anytime soon.

I think you need a little less coffee. You're being a bit of a drama llama.

My point still applies. You insist that a "general knowledge" of calculus is important. One could easily make the argument that a "general knowledge" of performing arts is just as important, or a "general knowledge" of living on an extremely tight budget, or a "general knowledge" of creative writing. At some point, you're requiring classes just to require classes. I'd much rather see admissions committees look at what general knowledge each individual felt was important based on the classes they chose to take. That provides a much better view of who you're accepting as a person.

Reactions: 1 user
Every time I see series... I have a panic attack

And I'm not even bad at math...