Are Millennial MDs Turning Their Backs on FIRE?

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

No FIRE.

I don't see the point in working like crazy to save and then live a frugal lifestyle.

I'm just working a steady schedule that is sustainable. Weekends are basically free. Work 8/9 to 430. I can do this forever basically.

I want to pay for my kids schooling and will help them with a down payment for a house. Wife and I want them to live closeby in general. CA is expensive so they'll need the help.

If I have to work more years to provide that for them, so be it. I signed up for it when I decided to have kids so I don't mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dang, im trying to get one, but apparently its hard to break in to the list to procure one
Which model are you looking for?
legit VCA is an investment, so my wife says...
It is. Getting a $6,000 bracelet now is better than getting the same bracelet for $7,000 next year. You technically saved $1,000!
I know everyone situation is different but I’m curious what people in here would think safe number would be to start doing FIWO and cut down hrs and procedures @Baron S asking for a friend

$3 mil, 5 mil, 7mil, 10?
10M for sure. Could get 1M/year on returns on that 10M basis.

FIWO is the new FIRE for most.
Currently taking 6-8 weeks off presently. Hopefully will get to 12 weeks in the next 2-3 years and eventually FIWO in by 45.
 
Which model are you looking for?

It is. Getting a $6,000 bracelet now is better than getting the same bracelet for $7,000 next year. You technically saved $1,000!

10M for sure. Could get 1M/year on returns on that 10M basis.

FIWO is the new FIRE for most.
Currently taking 6-8 weeks off presently. Hopefully will get to 12 weeks in the next 2-3 years and eventually FIWO in by 45.

$10M is the minimum.
 
Most of the models aim for only using interest and ensuring the principal continues to grow.

But without kids, what would I do with my remaining fortune?

And even with kids, are they worthy of inheriting a vast fortune just bc they share your genes? Is it healthy for them?
I have a good childhood friend who is a trust fund baby. Dad has kept him solvent ever since college. He’s worked some as an actor in LA and does a little real estate on the side but never really had a real job. He’s now morbidly obese. He also rips off the government by taking unemployment and food stamps every month. He says every “actor” he knows in LA does this. 🤨
 
Most of the models aim for only using interest and ensuring the principal continues to grow.

But without kids, what would I do with my remaining fortune?

And even with kids, are they worthy of inheriting a vast fortune just bc they share your genes? Is it healthy for them?
I think $3, $5, and $10 mil are all correct.

If I were single, $3 mil would be plenty. If our family drove nicer cars, had a bigger house and vacation home, and flew first class then we'd need closer to $10 mil.

We are in a low cost of living state, so $5mil is about right for our family. Having said that, I feel completely comfortable cutting back a bit at $3mil and just reducing our savings rate.
 
I think $3, $5, and $10 mil are all correct.

If I were single, $3 mil would be plenty. If our family drove nicer cars, had a bigger house and vacation home, and flew first class then we'd need closer to $10 mil.

We are in a low cost of living state, so $5mil is about right for our family. Having said that, I feel completely comfortable cutting back a bit at $3mil and just reducing our savings rate.
The key is not to waste your younger years so you have higher number later on.
So it’s a combination of how you get there is just as important as what you end up with (if not more).
I really want to cut down to 3 days/week by time I’m 45 so I can maximize time with kids

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love this topic as well.

I think the main goal is really FIWO (Financial Independence Work Optional) instead of retiring early. Once work is optional you really get to decide where your efforts make the most sense and if you still enjoy practicing medicine and can do it all on your own terms I think that makes you a better doctor.


I’m a big fan of this concept as well, but I admit one thing that gives me pause about staying in clinical practice is the potential of a random medmal suit being filed. I know the likelihood of a suit reaching personal assets is extremely low, but there’s also the personal and mental aggravation that would come from this...
If I had a net worth of eight figures, I’d be kicking myself for putting myself in the position where that could be possible in the first place. I’d potentially consider working at a VA or somewhere with the equivalent of sovereign immunity.
 
I’m a big fan of this concept as well, but I admit one thing that gives me pause about staying in clinical practice is the potential of a random medmal suit being filed. I know the likelihood of a suit reaching personal assets is extremely low, but there’s also the personal and mental aggravation that would come from this...
If I had a net worth of eight figures, I’d be kicking myself for putting myself in the position where that could be possible in the first place. I’d potentially consider working at a VA or somewhere with the equivalent of sovereign immunity.
? volunteer?

no hassles, volunteer when you want.
 
I’m a big fan of this concept as well, but I admit one thing that gives me pause about staying in clinical practice is the potential of a random medmal suit being filed. I know the likelihood of a suit reaching personal assets is extremely low, but there’s also the personal and mental aggravation that would come from this...
If I had a net worth of eight figures, I’d be kicking myself for putting myself in the position where that could be possible in the first place. I’d potentially consider working at a VA or somewhere with the equivalent of sovereign immunity.

Yes, VA would be a good way to finish off. Spend enough time there to avoid the liability and leave with a small pension.
 
? volunteer?

no hassles, volunteer when you want.

I volunteer already when I can and plan to continue.

Not sure if you mean volunteer doing clinical medicine, but that’d be a no for me unless there was sovereign immunity.

In general, I don’t really think I’ll ever stop working at least part time or volunteering in some way. But once I hit eight figures, it would have to be with something involving minimal personal liability.
 
Having gone through this two years ago almost all of these universities offer merit scholarships which effectively discount the costs. My son got offers ranging from 40-50% off tuition at every private university he applied to. Miami/baylor/pepperdine level etc. don’t go to
Any of them though
 
Having gone through this two years ago almost all of these universities offer merit scholarships which effectively discount the costs. My son got offers ranging from 40-50% off tuition at every private university he applied to. Miami/baylor/pepperdine level etc. don’t go to
Any of them though
Congrats on having a smart son 😉

Merit scholarships are the way to go.
 
Having gone through this two years ago almost all of these universities offer merit scholarships which effectively discount the costs. My son got offers ranging from 40-50% off tuition at every private university he applied to. Miami/baylor/pepperdine level etc. don’t go to
Any of them though
merit scholarships are not gonna happen.

and i fear they would get "lost" in a big state school.

i dont know if it is the best ROI, but getting a piece of paper from a well known college probably will give my kids a leg up, despite not really teaching them any legitimate work-ready skills. its a gamble, but i do think it puts a finger on the scale. it will basically be a $1 million gamble.
 
Got my daughter's pre-K report card at the end of the school year. Decided we probably don't need to save so much for college and bought myself a car instead.
My elementary school teacher thought I was slow/special

Although in retrospect, maybe they were right
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting back to the original question of the thread, it's definitely a coin toss on how many are trying to FIRE at my shop.

I'm four years out now in a group of 45ish anesthesiologists. A fair number of new grads joining the group. I think I ere a bit more on the financially conservative side. Pick up extra work for extra pay, no new car (2017 Camry for me and a 2015 corolla for wife), new business class trips, investing heavily as I can. I don't get the impression that most other people in my age group are doing the same. I see a lot of business class flights to destinations and fancy cars from my colleagues. A few three to four years into practice beyond me heard me talking about a backdoor roth IRA with a resident and asked me some questions about how to set one up. Many more young faculty dropping to 0.9 FTE within three to five years of practice. Equates to 13 weeks off and $550ish. Often they don't have a super high earning partner either. More of a light FIRE rather than chubby FIRE I guess.

I think even being aggressive as I'm being, I'm less certain about the retire early end of things. Because I'm split with anesthesia, I could certainly see myself taking less call early? I have a diverse job I don't hate, so for now I could see myself doing something with it in some fashion for another 30 years. Ask me again in 10-15 I guess.