Are my dream shattered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CancerKiller007

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know that there are one million what are my chances thread, but I just wanted to get your honest opinion about if I can go to MD/Phd or not. I just got my scores back today, and I am bit disappointed with my score. I got 32 P (12bs, 11ps, and 9vr). I was hoping for 34 or above.

I have got decent research experience, nice LOR, good GPA, and clinical exposure. You can look at my md app for detailed profile.

Feel free to make suggestions of school I should apply. I have an old list up on MD APP but this is going to change now.

Any advice guys? I would like to go to school where there is strong cancer research (top 10 would be good too, but I do not have that sort of latitude at this point now).

Members don't see this ad.

Your dreams are most definintely not shattered. Top ten might be more of a stretch now for sure, but top twenty is within your reach. Don't worry too much! You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CancerKiller, seems like we both got the same exact MCAT scores. I think if your LOR's turn out good from your research advisors you have a perfect shot. Nothing else could potentially harm your app. Best of luck and keep us informed on how everything goes.

Your biggest challenge will be getting interviews. Ideally, at least a 10 in each section of the MCAT is desired in most top 20 schools. However, there are exceptions especially if you do very well in another section. Given your score of 32 and GPA of 3.79, I would say that you will have trouble getting interviews since your MCAT score will drag you down. I believe that the national average MCAT for accepted MD students is around 32. I would say that applying with a 32 to top 20 MD/Ph.D will be difficult. Apply early and be realistic in terms of which institutions and the number of institutions you apply to. Good luck.

You should still be able to get a good handful of interviews with a 32 maybe not Yale, Harvard, or UPenn, but you still have a good shot.

Yup. That is my prime concern. I wish I had at least 10 in verbal.

Quick question: I am an immigrant who just moved here about 6 years ago (yes I am US citizen, so it is not an issue for MSTP). I was thinking about including something along these lines: As I recently became fluent in English, it clearly showed in MCAT score. Should I include this? I want to avoid sounding cheesy.

The MD personal statement asks to address any weakness in the application? Do you guys think 9 in VR is a weakness? Thanks a lot in advance.

The AMCAS MD application asks to address weaknesses? I don't recall that part...Hmm... I personally would not mention it in the essay but would be prepared to discuss the issue if asked during the interview.

I thought the median was 31?

I think you've got a shot at a top 20 although like people already said a top 10 is prob a really long reach, I mean you have to be at least around avg to their MD program, so even your gpa is a little low, I think most top 10 schools have a 3.85 avg and a 35 (except washU)

Thanks guys for you support and advice. Appreciate it.

I put up a tentative list of schools I am thinking about applying on the MDApp.

Any suggestion? Any more schools I should add or take out (I would like to maximize my chances by applying broadly). Let me know. Thanks.

Hey CancerKiller,

Last cycle, I applied to many of the schools that you are considering now. I had a 32S when I applied so I thought I would offer some specific feedback.

University of Rochester MSTP puts A LOT of emphasis on MCAT. I know several students in the program and they have all told me this. I'm pretty sure I only even got an interview because I was a grad student at the time. Take that as you will, but if you don't love the school, I would drop it.

University of Maryland MD/PhD is also pretty MCAT focused. I literally got grilled about my MCAT score when I was there. Although, being instate you do have an awesome chance at an MD-only acceptance.

OHSU is a great school to apply to with a 32. It shouldn't be much of an obstacle there at all if everything else is in line.

I would also suggest that you add a few more SUNY schools to your list. They are traditionally pretty forgiving with sub-35 MCAT scores for MD/PhD candidates.

Best of luck!

Are you interested in doing graduate work in cancer biology? If so, you can get your PhD from MD Anderson through UT-Houston's MD/PhD program. I don't know what our avg. MCAT scores are, but I bet if your research experience is good a 32 wouldn't ground you.

Are you interested in doing graduate work in cancer biology? If so, you can get your PhD from MD Anderson through UT-Houston's MD/PhD program. I don't know what our avg. MCAT scores are, but I bet if your research experience is good a 32 wouldn't ground you.

Thanks Decal. I will look into it. MD Anderson does sound amazing (but that TDMAS process seems very intimidating compared to AMCAS...LOL). Appreciate your suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CancerKiller,

Last cycle, I applied to many of the schools that you are considering now. I had a 32S when I applied so I thought I would offer some specific feedback.

University of Rochester MSTP puts A LOT of emphasis on MCAT. I know several students in the program and they have all told me this. I'm pretty sure I only even got an interview because I was a grad student at the time. Take that as you will, but if you don't love the school, I would drop it.

University of Maryland MD/PhD is also pretty MCAT focused. I literally got grilled about my MCAT score when I was there. Although, being instate you do have an awesome chance at an MD-only acceptance.

OHSU is a great school to apply to with a 32. It shouldn't be much of an obstacle there at all if everything else is in line.

I would also suggest that you add a few more SUNY schools to your list. They are traditionally pretty forgiving with sub-35 MCAT scores for MD/PhD candidates.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your amazing insight. I was ambivalent about U of Rochester anyway. I will probably take it out than. I am hoping to get some in-state love at U of Maryland. I have Stony Brooks in my list b/c of CSHL collaboration.

Any other schools I should add to better hedge my bets? Thanks guys.

Nothing is impossible :) Everybody posted really good suggestions. Good luck!!

Oh, and try applying to Penn State. My friend is in their MD/PhD program right now, and I think he received an MCAT similar to yours.

Nothing is impossible :) Everybody posted really good suggestions. Good luck!!

Oh, and try applying to Penn State. My friend is in their MD/PhD program right now, and I think he received an MCAT similar to yours.

Thanks Seraph524. I think my thread title reflects my immediate response to my score. Now, I am becoming more accepting of my score...LOL!

PSU is already on my list.

Some secondaries have essays regarding weaknesses, you can mention your immigrant status there. If it flows with the rest of your essay you can even put it into your MD essay on your primary. It works to your advantage if you can help adcoms put your scores into context.

Dreams are never shattered until you give up on them.

Worst case scenario, you get another year of research experience under your belt while studying your sack off for the MCAT, re-take for a better score, and try again next year.

Its a few years old but the 2005 average scores for matriculating MD/PhD students

MCAT Verbal 10.49 Physical Science 11.49 Biological Science 11.67
Science GPA 3.70
Non Science GPA 3.75
Total GPA 3.72

Its a few years old but the 2005 average scores for matriculating MD/PhD students

Science GPA 3.70
Non Science GPA 3.75
Total GPA 3.72

Great!!! Let's hope the Adcoms will overlook my less than spectacular VR. My BS, PS, and GPA are in line with the averages. Thanks guys for the input.

BTW, I have updated list of schools on the MDApp. I will appreciate your input. Thanks.

Science GPA 3.70
Non Science GPA 3.75
Total GPA 3.72

Any more (recent) data? Or, just any more stats you can post? Thanks.

I do not have the data, but I would guess that the average score is on rise. If you look at MD-only data on AAMC website, the average MCAT score is rising. Therefore, it is safe to assume that average MSTP is also on rise.

Hello all,
I know that there are one million what are my chances thread, but I just wanted to get your honest opinion about if I can go to MD/Phd or not. I just got my scores back today, and I am bit disappointed with my score. I got 32 P (12bs, 11ps, and 9vr). I was hoping for 34 or above.

I have got decent research experience, nice LOR, good GPA, and clinical exposure. You can look at my md app for detailed profile.

Feel free to make suggestions of school I should apply. I have an old list up on MD APP but this is going to change now.

Any advice guys? I would like to go to school where there is strong cancer research (top 10 would be good too, but I do not have that sort of latitude at this point now).

your dreams are not shattered....the only advice i can give is that this process is BEYOND random - like if there was something more random than chaos (although I think chaos actually isn't that random...) that would be the application process

and p.s. you totally stole the world's best name (cancerkiller!!!)

your dreams are not shattered....the only advice i can give is that this process is BEYOND random - like if there was something more random than chaos (although I think chaos actually isn't that random...) that would be the application process

and p.s. you totally stole the world's best name (cancerkiller!!!)

I gathered that the process is not predictable. You never know what an ADCOM is gonna think. That is why I am applying broadly.

And for the screen name: I was going for BOND JAMES BOND (imagine me as a Connery...LOL).

P.S. Would anyone look at my list and dole words of wisdom? I have compiled like list of 25+ schools and I want to take a few of them out. I target to apply at probably 22 schools. Thanks a bunch in advance.

I gathered that the process is not predictable. You never know what an ADCOM is gonna think. That is why I am applying broadly.

And for the screen name: I was going for BOND JAMES BOND (imagine me as a Connery...LOL).

P.S. Would anyone look at my list and dole words of wisdom? I have compiled like list of 25+ schools and I want to take a few of them out. I target to apply at probably 22 schools. Thanks a bunch in advance.

I'm actually curious as to why you aren't applying to either of the two biggest programs?

Also - being very very honest with yourself, how important is location to you? And I'm not just saying East vs. West vs. Midwest etc...but suburbia vs. urban vs. rural?? That could probably easily cross off a few right there

-j

Hey Neuronix -

how's this beautiful summer weather treating you?

Loving it. How you doin? This is why I have the private deck :thumbup: If only I didn't spend so much time on lab stuff :laugh: Looking like I'm gonna graduate soon though :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Then I'm gonna take a vacation--get divemaster certified. Win :)

Loving it. How you doin? This is why I have the private deck :thumbup: If only I didn't spend so much time on lab stuff :laugh: Looking like I'm gonna graduate soon though :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Then I'm gonna take a vacation--get divemaster certified. Win :)

certified where?

(hint: Thailand)

yeah - i try and spend as much time outside when i'm not in a mad-rush for data (like now)

oh and what's up with philadelphia residents and cars? perfectly nice human beings until they get in their cars and BAM evil hateful drivers!

certified where?

(hint: Thailand)

You been reading my lounge thread :p Yeah that's the plan.

oh and what's up with philadelphia residents and cars? perfectly nice human beings until they get in their cars and BAM evil hateful drivers!

Beats me. I haven't had a car in many years. Who wants one? More trouble than they're worth.

You been reading my lounge thread :p Yeah that's the plan.

Seriously? I was totally guessing - this is the first time I've taken a look at the threads in a couple of months...oh man - Phuket or somewhere less "traditional"? Oh wow I'm jealous - the water is supposed to be amazing there! So graduation on track? Any idea which month you'll defend in?

Beats me. I haven't had a car in many years. Who wants one? More trouble than they're worth.

Okay - as we're veering totally off-topic anyways - where's the best place to buy beer in Philadelphia? One of those wholesale places like on Washington or South or do you need to go to jersey?

Ko Tao actually. I'm still looking for another Utila (www.aboututila.com). Somewhere cheap and chill and with a lot of young backpackers like me and of course great diving!

where's the best place to buy beer in Philadelphia?

People have their opinions about what's the best distributor in the city. Springfield isn't bad... A little pricey compared to the out of state options but ok selection and prices aren't too bad. That's 27th and South. I go there only cause it's close to my apartment. I haven't been to any other distributors with any selection though if you look around on the web you can find more options that have selection within the larger area of the city.

You can buy singles at the Foodery (10th and Pine) and make six packs and such. They have a nice selection. Expect to pay AT LEAST $2 a bottle, however, and usually more than that. I stopped going cause I think their prices are just exorbitant anymore.

I'm from Delaware so for alcohol I go to Total Wine and More in Claymont. Supposedly it's illegal to import alcohol into the state thanks to prohibition era laws (aka to maintain the state's monopoly), so I guess I didn't give you this advice. Still, they have a decent selection and the best prices in the area. The Jersey liquor stores I hear aren't bad, but I've actually never been to any.

Try Dogfish Head. They're my favorite brewery and from Delaware also. The 90 minute IPA is one of the best beers in existance imo (~$2 a bottle in DE). The 60 minute is only $1 a bottle a nice everyday beer. Raison D'Etre is a sweeter beer kind of in a bock style that is also very nice.

Ko Tao actually. I'm still looking for another Utila (www.aboututila.com). Somewhere cheap and chill and with a lot of young backpackers like me and of course great diving!

People have their opinions about what's the best distributor in the city. Springfield isn't bad... A little pricey compared to the out of state options but ok selection and prices aren't too bad. That's 27th and South. I go there only cause it's close to my apartment. I haven't been to any other distributors with any selection though if you look around on the web you can find more options that have selection within the larger area of the city.

You can buy singles at the Foodery (10th and Pine) and make six packs and such. They have a nice selection. Expect to pay AT LEAST $2 a bottle, however, and usually more than that. I stopped going cause I think their prices are just exorbitant anymore.

I'm from Delaware so for alcohol I go to Total Wine and More in Claymont. Supposedly it's illegal to import alcohol into the state thanks to prohibition era laws (aka to maintain the state's monopoly), so I guess I didn't give you this advice. Still, they have a decent selection and the best prices in the area. The Jersey liquor stores I hear aren't bad, but I've actually never been to any.

Try Dogfish Head. They're my favorite brewery and from Delaware also. The 90 minute IPA is one of the best beers in existance imo (~$2 a bottle in DE). The 60 minute is only $1 a bottle a nice everyday beer. Raison D'Etre is a sweeter beer kind of in a bock style that is also very nice.

Yeah, I'm thinking about checking out Springfield - have you had them deliver? They certainly seem to have quite a selection - plus I go by them every day on my way to campus!

As for Delaware - I'm not even sure how to get there but I heard there's no sales tax!

Yeah, I'm thinking about checking out Springfield - have you had them deliver?

Not to me. My lab has beer delivered for special events. I dunno what to say about that one cause I never handle the beer. My lab has pretty so-so beer taste imo. They think somehow that Stella Artois is the best beer ever and I'm like huh?

As for Delaware - I'm not even sure how to get there but I heard there's no sales tax!

I-95 south takes you to Delaware. If you wanted to go to the store I was talking about you just bear right when it splits into I-95 and I-495 and get off almost immediately after that at the first exit in Delaware on the right. Take the offramp right then almost immediately there's a shopping center on the right. It's in there. I wonder what state's shoppers they're targeting with that placement ;)

Defending soon? Congrats. Guess you won't be the pessimistic (Neuronix: realistic!) graduate student much longer:)

I found it funny that you are applying for MD/PHD and have the same exact MCAT score, writing and all. I also want to go to a medical school that has a strong cancer research program. UT Houston would be ideal. You can check out my MDapp and see how where I am applying to and what my application is like.

I found it funny that you are applying for MD/PHD and have the same exact MCAT score, writing and all. I also want to go to a medical school that has a strong cancer research program. UT Houston would be ideal. You can check out my MDapp and see how where I am applying to and what my application is like.

Yay....we are score twins now. You have got awesome GPA.:thumbup:

I would suggest that your broaden the list of schools you are applying to. Right now I have a huge list of schools to apply to, but in the end I will applying to 20 schools (5 dream Harvard, UPenn et al), 10 reach (UMD, UIC et al) and 5 safeties. I know that secondaries is gonna be longgg, but I hope it iwll pay off.

PM me if you wish to look at my ever evolving list!

Yay for first secondary! I love you, UCinn for showing me some love. Notice to other schools: follow their lead! LOL! Good luck yall.

Congrats on your first secondary! I'm sure a lot more are to follow. I will submit my application by the end of this week and look forward to my first secondary as well. Good luck with everything!