Are my High School Grades good?

iAnnihilate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not beating up anyone, but I've been really stressed over the days and I have been devestated by outcomes of my grades, I really want to know if I'm suitable for any college and if I have any chance of actually becoming a doctor. If you're wondering I'm a sophomore in Texas.

Pre AP Algebra II- 64

Spanish III- 87

World History- 100

Pre AP Chem - 85

Comp Science - 68

Weight Training- 100

English II- 97

Principles of Health Science - 96

As you can see I'm slipping up in Algebra and not getting any sleep, I really wanna know if High School grades are really important and if I'm doing horrible, leave your comments down below, preferably recent grads of college that are pursuing medical. I really appreciate you reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Your not doing horrible, personally for me this is what I have:

Business Math 100%

Algebra 2: 69%

English 11: 95%

English 12: 97%

U.S. Gov: 94%

Economics: 99%

Senior Project / Speech: 99.7%

Psychology A & B: 100%

Teachers Aid: 100%

*I clearly need to work on math too, so I feel you.* I got an 87% in chem, maybe just like me try to bump your Algebra 2 to a C or B. Bump the B's a tad higher, but you look fine. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I hope I'm not beating up anyone, but I've been really stressed over the days and I have been devestated by outcomes of my grades, I really want to know if I'm suitable for any college and if I have any chance of actually becoming a doctor. If you're wondering I'm a sophomore in Texas.

Pre AP Algebra II- 64

Spanish III- 87

World History- 100

Pre AP Chem - 85

Comp Science - 68

Weight Training- 100

English II- 97

As you can see I'm slipping up in Algebra and not getting any sleep, I really wanna know if High School grades are really important and if I'm doing horrible, leave your comments down below, preferably recent grads of college that are pursuing medical. I really appreciate you reading this.
High school grades don't matter at all. College grades matters A LOT though. For the medical school applications, they won't check your high school report cards, so don't worry. (accepted medical student)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get into an accredited 4 year college, they're good enough. What that means will vary school to school.

High school grades don't matter at all. College grades matters A LOT though. For the medical school applications, they won't check your high school report cards, so don't worry. (accepted medical student)
Well for getting into a good college,which for me i want to go to the University of Texas @Austin, would these grades be socially acceptable?

Well for getting into a good college,which for me i want to go to the University of Texas @Austin, would these grades be socially acceptable?
For colleges, it also depends on what you get on your SATs or whatever test the school accepts. You also need extracurricular activities, etc

Reactions: 1 users

Pre AP Algebra II- 64

Spanish III- 87

World History- 100

Pre AP Chem - 85

Comp Science - 68

Weight Training- 100

English II- 97

Medical schools don't see your high school grades. They only see your college grades and only care what you've done in college. IN OTHER WORDS, you've been granted a blessing to start fresh once you start college. Learn from your mistakes, and make sure you get >3.7 GPA and competitive MCAT score with superb extracurriculars (shadowing/working with physicians, research, published research articles, and 100's of hours of volunteer work). Good luck my friend.

I was a lackluster high school student, back then not many people would have thought I'd be in med school...I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to do it, but did really well in college and here I am.

Relax, use this time to develop good study habits and gain a strong background in what you hope to major in (personally, taking advanced and AP classes in sciences helped me for my pre-med courses I felt), think about what you might wanna major in, and what colleges you could potentially be really happy and flourish in. Also just enjoy life, you don't want to burn out before the process has even begun. Be ready to hit the ground running in college and do as well as you can. It's your college performance med schools will look at. But also remember to have fun in college, and do things that feed your soul. The further along I get in this process, the more I wish I'd relaxed an enjoyed life a bit more when I had the chance. Work hard, plan well, have some fun too, and I think you'll be just fine.

And high school grades really don't matter, so long as you get into a college program you're happy in. Not saying high school doesn't matter, the knowledge base and study skills I developed in my high school science classes helped me get off to a good start in college, but don't stress too much over the actual grades right now.

Last edited:
better than how mine were. I was all 70s because I didnt do homework, ever. seriously. But I got 90+ on every test. Your grades are fine.

IMO, if you think those math and science represent the best of your ability, then maybe think about a different career. Your actual final grade doesn't matter really as long as you get into a 4 year college. Blank slate after that. But usually your high school grades do indicate something about how your college grades will be, so think about whether there's honest room for improvement. If not, accept that and don't fight it. There's much better careers out there besides medicine IMO. Kind of need to be irrational and crazy to want to do medicine.

Like everyone said Highschool grades do not apply to med school and your only concern should be to get into college and work your butt off from there.

IMO, if you think those math and science represent the best of your ability, then maybe think about a different career. Your actual final grade doesn't matter really as long as you get into a 4 year college. Blank slate after that. But usually your high school grades do indicate something about how your college grades will be, so think about whether there's honest room for improvement. If not, accept that and don't fight it. There's much better careers out there besides medicine IMO. Kind of need to be irrational and crazy to want to do medicine.
Dude the kid's in HS this is an overreaction, don't you think?