Are pre-meds neurotic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kadava Reviva

Brutally Honest
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking from personnal experience, I would say yes. 100%.

Members don't see this ad.

Disagree. There are some who are too clueless to be neurotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
All pre-meds or all pre-meds on SDN?

People who go around claiming they are pre-med are usually the ones who have no idea what their doing

You have a point. However, closet pre-meds are just as neurotic. They suffer in silence. They won't walk around in public wearing scrubs, a white coat and a cheap stethoscope, like the hopelessly ridiculous and flamboyant pre-meds.
I must say the cure for pre-med neurosis (NOS) is an acceptance letter. Two years later, depression and amphetamine psychosis are the new illnesses.

Last edited:
Pre-meds, or "pre-guns"?

Pre-meds are all gunners. The closet ones are more insidious. You don't know who to watch out for. I know. I was a closet pre-med. Some people were really suprised when I got accepted into med school. They thought I wanted to be a psychologist! Bwahahahah!

It sounds like you're at an AA meeting...

I wouldn't know. I am neither an alcoholic, nor an aspiring Hollywood writer.

I can stop anytime I want.

Last edited:
You have a point. However, closet pre-meds are just as neurotic. They suffer in silence. They won't walk around in public wearing scrubs, a white coat and a cheap stethoscope, like the hopelessly ridiculous and flamboyant pre-meds.
I must say the cure for pre-med neurosis (NOS) is an acceptance letter. Two years later, depression and amphetamine psychosis are the new illnesses.

Yup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Because of you, all right! I learned it from watching you!

this sounds so familiar...ugh, trying to figure it out.

It's from that old 80's anti-pot commercial lol. There have been a few parodies of it. Scrubs, cabin in the woods and a Kraft Mac and cheese commercial all come to mind...

Wait. Can we talk about this before we come to a firm conclusion? I just want to make sure we have 100% the right answer before everyone goes and does something they might absolutely positively regrets later and also WHY ISN'T MY GEL WROKRgINN!!!11eleven

I knew a flamboyant pre-med in my immunology class. He failed.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

Yeah. I obsess about grades. Soon I'll obsess about the MCAT, my application, and the inevitable waitlists/rejections. The process ruins people.

"Flamboyant" pre-meds don't seem to be too neurotic (in my experience... and they're not usually the best of pre-meds in the first place).

I'm currently in a summer program with another SDN member. I will admit it's an odd experience. I think this forum makes you neurotic because when I hear this individual ask "SDN pre-med" type questions (i.e AOA, step 1, match list and internal rankings) I cringe.

Hey now lay off the gay boys they do just fIne. :D

:laugh:

I meant the ones who flaunt around their being pre-med (I'm currently working with one "pre-med" this summer who never misses the opportunity to say that he's pre med, and I've literally seen him wearing around his dad's stethoscope on campus and pretending to know what he's doing when he listens to classmate's chests..... Retaking Gen chem for the 3rd time).

On SDN they are.

Can't speak for the ones at my school.

:laugh:

I meant the ones who flaunt around their being pre-med (I'm currently working with one "pre-med" this summer who never misses the opportunity to say that he's pre med, and I've literally seen him wearing around his dad's stethoscope on campus and pretending to know what he's doing when he listens to classmate's chests..... Retaking Gen chem for the 3rd time).

1) I miss the frog

2) I do not understand how people can flaunt their pre-med status. I am usually very shameful, and when people ask me "what I am", I quietly mutter "me? Oh just uhh...you know...a..p-r---e MEDDDDD". "a what?l". "a pre med. Alright. I am a freaking premed. Don't judge me". When you tell people you want to be a doctor in high school, it is cute and benign. Undergrad is where it becomes malignant.

3) To be fair, the whole process works against the individual and is largely responsible for normal people to go all nuts. (the already pathological nut-cases upgrade to tier 1 nuttiness)

All pre-meds? No.
All pre-meds who actually matriculate? 98%.

In reference to defining neurotic as overly anxious. How in the world could someone go through the 1.5 year application process for med school in which they may not even get in and not come out neurotic.

In reference to defining neurotic as overly anxious. How in the world could someone go through the 1.5 year application process for med school in which they may not even get in and not come out neurotic.

You can't. There's too much you have to plan in advance in order to be competitive for med school. You have to have all the information ahead of time and thus you are always asking questions about things like the MCAT, apps, interviews, etc..finding out what to do and what not to do thus making you neurotic.

You can't. There's too much you have to plan in advance in order to be competitive for med school. You have to have all the information ahead of time and thus you are always asking questions about things like the MCAT, apps, interviews, etc..finding out what to do and what not to do thus making you neurotic.

But there's a difference between being prepared and being ridiculously neurotic/gunnerish. Preparedness is smart. Neurotic/gunnerish is unfortunate.

Does a bear **** in the woods?

The neurotic premeds don't go away in med school, either.

They are the ones asking how many questions will be on the test, even though its the same damn number of questions every time and it doesn't matter at all anyway. They are the ones bragging about how little sleep they got the night before because they were too worried there is something they don't know yet. They are the ones that, from said lack of sleep, shake uncontrollably throughout the test.

I laugh at their suffering. I mock their quirks. It truly puts my mind at ease to see these types in their element. I love neurotic premeds/med students.

Does a bear **** in the woods?

The neurotic premeds don't go away in med school, either.

They are the ones asking how many questions will be on the test, even though its the same damn number of questions every time and it doesn't matter at all anyway. They are the ones bragging about how little sleep they got the night before because they were too worried there is something they don't know yet. They are the ones that, from said lack of sleep, shake uncontrollably throughout the test.

I laugh at their suffering. I mock their quirks. It truly puts my mind at ease to see these types in their element. I love neurotic premeds/med students.

I think there is a distinction between gunners and neurotic students.

Were you never anxious during the long months of waiting during your app season? Were you not checking your email/SDN multiple times per hour in March of the app season? You never had trouble falling asleep wondering whether you were good enough? Whether all of the premed classes, the ridiculous commute to your local hospital, all of the volunteering hours, and the arrogance of your PI was worth putting up with - only to get rejected from every place you apply; AFTER shelling out thousands of dollars?

Everything I described is independent of a "gunner" attitude.

I think there is a distinction between gunners and neurotic students.

Were you never anxious during the long months of waiting during your app season? Were you not checking your email/SDN multiple times per hour in March of the app season? You never had trouble falling asleep wondering whether you were good enough? Whether all of the premed classes, the ridiculous commute to your local hospital, all of the volunteering hours, and the arrogance of your PI was worth putting up with - only to get rejected from every place you apply; AFTER shelling out thousands of dollars?

Everything I described is independent of a "gunner" attitude.

No to all of your questions except the first one. I think everyone is at least a little anxious in the weeks following the interview.