are there 45 minute and 5 minute warnings on the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there warnings like those in the practice aamc tests? does the time freeze until you press okay?

Members don't see this ad.

time does not freeze during these prompts.
and there is a halfway mark warning...as well as a five minutes remaining warning.
Thanks for the info!

Does the half-way reminder replace the 45 minute reminder? Or are there reminders at 45 minutes, the half-way point, and 5 minutes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!

Does the half-way reminder replace the 45 minute reminder? Or are there reminders at 45 minutes, the half-way point, and 5 minutes?

well, I have taken the MCAT three times...and I think i remember each science section being 70 minutes in length...so the halfway reminder came up at 35 minutes, there was never any prompts for a 45 minutes remaining that I can remember.
in summary,
PS/BS: one "35 minutes remaining" prompt + one "5 minutes remaining" prompt.
VR: one "30 minutes remaining" prompt + one "5 minutes remaining" prompt.

Are there warnings like those in the practice aamc tests? does the time freeze until you press okay?

well, I have taken the MCAT three times...and I think i remember each science section being 70 minutes in length...so the halfway reminder came up at 35 minutes, there was never any prompts for a 45 minutes remaining that I can remember.
in summary,
PS/BS: one "35 minutes remaining" prompt + one "5 minutes remaining" prompt.
VR: one "30 minutes remaining" prompt + one "5 minutes remaining" prompt.

Thanks so much for asking this question (zbruinz) and answering it (MrMattOglesby)!!! I've developed my timing checkpoint around the 45 minute warning, so it's extremely helpful to know it will be 35/30 minutes instead on the real deal!

Thank You!!!!!!!! :)

fyi the heart-stopper for me was that half-way mark note. It said something like "half of your time is gone, you have X minutes left". It threw me a bit because you're cruising along keeping with your well-rehearsed schedule working through passages, and then, oh my God, half your time is gone!!

so probably if you're expecting this "scary" indicator, you'd do better than if you'd not anticipated it. And no, time definitely does not stop, you just need to click the "ok" button to get this big box out of your field of view so that you can go back to the passage.