Are there any ED's with windows?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durty

Lif is too short
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question. I am an MSIV committed to EM and I was just wondering if I was consigned to a work life with no natural light. (in my limited experience so far, yes)
-durty

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Of the 5 EDs I have worked in only 1 doesn't have windows. You only spend a limited # of hours there a week so I if you end up working in a windowless one then you can make up for your daylight deficiency on your days off.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 for the salt mine reference.. And also my places have always been caves

UNM has windows above the rooms (you can't see out them, but they let in natural light) along the south side of the ED.

If you want to complain about no windows, try being a pharmacist. Again, UNMH main pharmacy is on the 4th floor and looks east into the Sandia mountains. I'm yet to work in another pharmacy that isn't a.) in the basement or b.) in the middle of the building with no chance for natural light.

None at my place. I can't even hear thunder when it storms.

we have small windows at the top of the wall along one side of the adult ED to let light in, it looks out at another building about 15 feet away and you hardly even notice it. peds ed has no windows.

I get a chuckle when people talk about the windows that let light in, but out of which you can't look. Where else do you get that? In SuperMax prisons, like Florence in Colorado. There is natural light let in, but the windows are too high, and they face away from the sun, so the inmates can't get a bearing as to where they are.

Even our ambulance doors are around a corner, so you have to physically walk out there to see any light.

None at my place. I can't even hear thunder when it storms.

Me too. If the world came to an end the only way I'd know is that our volume would drop off.

I get a chuckle when people talk about the windows that let light in, but out of which you can't look. Where else do you get that? In SuperMax prisons, like Florence in Colorado. There is natural light let in, but the windows are too high, and they face away from the sun, so the inmates can't get a bearing as to where they are.

Maybe ER architecture is supposed to be like medieval churches forcing the masses to look up to keep their eyes off their horrible surroundings.

I was working during a hail storm last year and the only way I knew was to walk out to the triage area.

I guess I've heard that EDs are generally on the ground floor of the hospital and that doesn't translate to great views.

We have one window in the Docs' Room, the room which is so far out of the way that we only use it to stash our stuff. Occasionally one of the guys goes back there on a quiet night to order parts for his bike (into triathlon). I occasionally go there just to reassure myself that the rest of the world still exists, and to check out the weather. Otherwise, we'd only know the world ended if they stopped registering.
Cheers,
M

Had a PD one time tell me on the interview trail, not to put much stock in the local weather of wherever I decided to train... Most days, could be forecasted in virtually any state I decided to train.

70 degrees with sunny, fluorescent lighting

No windows where I'm at. I can't think of any ED I've worked in that had windows unless you count the front door.

ED#1

The waiting areas have windows (overlooking the ambulance bays and a brick wall to the admin tower)

The nurses lounge and doc's rooms are on same exterior wall as the waiting area but have no windows.

ED#2
essentially a penisula jutting out from the main hospital complex..

Hospital is next to a public park... trees, grass etc

Thus the ED has trees, grass etc on two sides and parking lot and ambulance bays on the 3rd

Does it have windows?

Hell No. Not even in the waiting areas.

But don't worry... the admin area is on the 2nd floor above the ED and they have windows on all 3 walls.

North Shore residency program has an ED with a window in every room.

ED#1

The waiting areas have windows (overlooking the ambulance bays and a brick wall to the admin tower)

The nurses lounge and doc's rooms are on same exterior wall as the waiting area but have no windows.

ED#2
essentially a penisula jutting out from the main hospital complex..

Hospital is next to a public park... trees, grass etc

Thus the ED has trees, grass etc on two sides and parking lot and ambulance bays on the 3rd

Does it have windows?

Hell No. Not even in the waiting areas.

But don't worry... the admin area is on the 2nd floor above the ED and they have windows on all 3 walls.

:thumbup: