Hey! So after lurking here for a while, there was this one question that I had about my current competitiveness. How are my EC's? I realize I can't do a WAMC because I haven't taken the MCAT (starting to study now to take in March/April hopefully) but I wanted to see if there was anything I should try to improve between now and next summer.
current uGPA: 4.0 (overall and science)
Public Health major (finished most of my science prereqs - currently taking biochem and genetics)
EC's:
Shadowing: I have 45 shadowing hours with a plastic surgeon and a primary care DO. I have a scheduled weekly shadowing opportunity starting this upcoming Friday with an ENT. I also have 50 hours from shadowing a neurosurgeon after classes were finished senior year of high school but before graduation. So I am not going to "count it" per say but I will talk about it due to the experience I had.
Volunteer: At the end of this September, I'll have 80 clinical hours at my school's clinic, I started volunteering last January (I am currently scheduled to do about 24 hours a month until April).
I wouldn't typically include this but I plan on volunteering more with a local non-profit after learning more about them this past summer. I currently only have 15 with them, but plan on volunteering at their events when they occur (not a weekly opportunity).
Research: I was not planning on doing research but there was an amazing opportunity this past summer that I was very interested in. I helped a professor in coordination with the county in conducting a community needs assessment. We presented it to the county (we will be presenting at the University research symposium in October). We interacted with local residents and performed service learning activities in order to gain a better understanding of the community. We will be submitting this data to the county so that they may use it in future decisions regarding the underserved community. I have about 250 hours.
Leadership: I am the founder and president of my school's photography club. I started this in Spring 2017, we have over 200 members. I was a paid tutor last year, working about 6 hours a week for 30 weeks.
I was recently appointed to be the scheduling officer for my school clinic's volunteering program.
To sum it up, these are the expected hours of each EC that I should have by the time I apply to med school next June.
Clinical volunteering: 200+ (started last January)
non-clinical volunteering: 80-100 (started doing it occasionally since Fall 2016)
Research: 250 (possibly more if a position opens up for the semester with my PI, signed up to present for my university's symposium) (this past summer)
Leadership: president of photography club (660 hours), started Spring 2017
tutor, paid position - last year: 180 hours;
clinic scheduling officer: 180 hours (new position, just appointed)
Any advice would be helpful! I'd like to do everything I can this year so that I dont have to take a gap year (obviously I will though if I need to!)