Are there Joint PharmD/PA programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HristosKaran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine, and he mentioned something about a joint PharmD/PA program. Do programs such as this exist? I tried searching through these forums and various school websites, but could not find an actual program. A program such as this would be very enticing though :).

Members don't see this ad.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he mentioned something about a joint PharmD/PA program. Do programs such as this exist? I tried searching through these forums and various school websites, but could not find an actual program. A program such as this would be very enticing though :).

PA as in physicians assistant? why on earth would you do that?

I've heard of people who have MDs getting their PharmD and such, but a PA is kinda weird.

That being said I've never heard of a joint program. I would think, judging by friends who are in PA school, that the classes are different enough that there wouldn't be a whole lot of overlap

im guessing. cant PA's prescribe medicine? so maybe the joint programs are there so u can prescribe medicine when ur a pharmacist? guess.

side not: how do u become a PA? y isnt there a forum on it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, that is not a bad idea...Somehow, like someone mentioned, the two can combine as a full substitute/alternative to an MD or DO. But for now, I would highly advise against it, because you're going to have to choose from one of the two careers anyway...in the meantime though, I'd like to know the potential of a PharmD/PA explained or defined by the BLS or something...

I've heard that UWSOP in Seattle is setting up a program like this. But I think the details are still being worked out, so I don't think there's a website yet.

I think the appeal of these programs (and ones that offer a dual degree as an NP and PharmD) is that the person has two skills that would be useful in more rural settings. I'm not sure, though...

Here's what I found:
http://depts.washington.edu/pha/acadprograms.html#pharmdpa

The School of Pharmacy has joined with the MEDEX Northwest Physician Assistant Program at the University of Washington, School of Medicine to coordinate the development of a joint degree program to produce a practitioner that is prepared to sit for both the Pharmacy and Physician Assistant National Boards.

I called MEDEX and they said the program is still really early in development.
They did say to send all inquiries to:

[email protected]

Edit: Found a site specifically about this program:

http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/degreeoptions_pharmd.htm

Personally, this has my attention. A PA-C and PharmD in five years?

Besides, it'd finally settle the question of "what do I call you?" A Dr. of Pharmacy doing PA work= "Doc"

Last edited:
im guessing. cant PA's prescribe medicine? so maybe the joint programs are there so u can prescribe medicine when ur a pharmacist? guess.

side not: how do u become a PA? y isnt there a forum on it here.

Yes, there is. On the page where it lists all the forums, scroll way below pharmacy to Clinicians (RN, PA, ...) thats it.

PA as in physicians assistant? why on earth would you do that?

I've heard of people who have MDs getting their PharmD and such, but a PA is kinda weird.

That being said I've never heard of a joint program. I would think, judging by friends who are in PA school, that the classes are different enough that there wouldn't be a whole lot of overlap

Please elaborate on why you think its a negative compared to pharmacy, just curious.

I remember hearing some talk about Wingate starting a dual program like that, maybe someone could check into this school a little more.

These programs have been around before. University of florida used to have one and it failed. Most people that graduated ended up working as pharmacists because the pay was better and never used the PA component.

Yes, there is. On the page where it lists all the forums, scroll way below pharmacy to Clinicians (RN, PA, ...) thats it.

Please elaborate on why you think its a negative compared to pharmacy, just curious.

I didn't say anything negative about it, just that it is an odd choice.