Are they still teaching med students physio?

Started by VanDiemen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think everyone is bringing up good points, but I do think it's important point to keep in mind that it is the students job to be reading up on any clerkship they are starting. Just because it is an elective, doesn't mean you should slack off and not prepare for cases. You should be wanting to learn as much as possible from that elective. I think browsing a basic anesthesia for beginners book could have taught the student these answers had they tried to do some pre-reading before starting the elective (like anesthesia secrets for medical students which you can find online).

I honestly think you just got one of the lower performing students bc most students should be able to understand after you explain it to them (which seems like it didn't happen this time). I don't think this situation should be generalized to all of medical students though (in my opinion). Hopefully you get some more knowledgeable ones next time!

A lot of people do an anesthesia elective to get some intubations and go home early. So they get the impression that anesthesia is easy and the lifestyle is great
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also spend about 3 hours in a car traveling to a weekly longitudinal clinic site that I spend a morning at. It is a highly specialized practice so I basically shadow for 4 hours... weekly. That is 7 hours gone every week just for that one addition to the curriculum.

I'd bet a lot of money that the school thread for wherever you're at is filled with prospective students salivating over that aspect of the curriculum. Early exposure to subspecialties!!!!
 
I think everyone is bringing up good points, but I do think it's important point to keep in mind that it is the students job to be reading up on any clerkship they are starting. Just because it is an elective, doesn't mean you should slack off and not prepare for cases. You should be wanting to learn as much as possible from that elective. I think browsing a basic anesthesia for beginners book could have taught the student these answers had they tried to do some pre-reading before starting the elective (like anesthesia secrets for medical students which you can find online).

Okay. But in doing a review of anesthesia before a clerkship, I'd say the average student will review things like the structure of an anesthesia machine, the MAC of various agents, and upper airway anatomy. The relative solubilities of O2 and CO2 in plasma would never be reviewed because it is such an (apparently) low-yield subject in comparison.
 
Yeah I think the fact the students didn't get this correct the first time is ok, but not understanding the explanation is pretty bad.
Thanks for passing judgement. Good contribution.

This isn't f*$cking rocket science, man. They either did in fact understand it, or it was a ****e explanation on par with his posts.