Are you a Post Bacc Reject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrgdl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to traditional post bacc programs this winter and I'm afraid I won't get in. Knowing myself I would do best with the cohort style of a traditional post bacc. What would be the best course of action if I were not accepted due to the following?

Undergrad GPA 2.62
(38 units) CC courses GPA 3.57 (by end of spr '18)
Cumulative GPA 2.84 (by the start of the program)
*Would need 30 units of 4.0 to raise cumm to 3.0 which is required for most programs*
Current EMT
~100 hours of MD shadowing (by the start of the program)
Applying to programs in NY and SoCal

Dieu s'il vous plaît aidez

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to traditional post bacc programs this winter and I'm afraid I won't get in. Knowing myself I would do best with the cohort style of a traditional post bacc. What would be the best course of action if I were not accepted due to the following?

Undergrad GPA 2.62
(38 units) CC courses GPA 3.57 (by end of spr '18)
Cumulative GPA 2.84 (by the start of the program)
*Would need 30 units of 4.0 to raise cumm to 3.0 which is required for most programs*
Current EMT
~100 hours of MD shadowing (by the start of the program)
Applying to programs in NY and SoCal

Dieu s'il vous plaît aidez
Couldn't you just do a DIY post bacc* at the university of your choosing? That's what I'm going to do this spring semester.

Reactions: 1 user
@FromDMtoMD I know myself pretty well and if I did the DIY route I'd burn out without the support system that comes with the traditional post bacc route. And if I'm not mistaken the certificate granting post bacc programs allow you to apply for more financial aid apposed to being a non degree seeking student.

Members don't see this ad :)
@FromDMtoMD I know myself pretty well and if I did the DIY route I'd burn out without the support system that comes with the traditional post bacc route. And if I'm not mistaken the certificate granting post bacc programs allow you to apply for more financial aid apposed to being a non degree seeking student.
Just search 2.8 Post-Bacc programs. Use the search function or google? There's a ton.

Even without financial aid, a DIY postbac at a local state/community college if probably cheaper than financial aid for a traditional postbac.

Not to be a debbie downer (and I've actually never been one to tell others to reconsider their career choices), BUT you might want to really think about this decision if 30 credits of DIY postbac is going to leave you burned out. A burnout in medical school means 100k+ in debt with no degree.

Reactions: 3 users
Even without financial aid, a DIY postbac at a local state/community college if probably cheaper than financial aid for a traditional postbac.

Not to be a debbie downer (and I've actually never been one to tell others to reconsider their career choices), BUT you might want to really think about this decision if 30 credits of DIY postbac is going to leave you burned out. A burnout in medical school means 100k+ in debt with no degree.
Yeah, @bears1992 is absolutely right. If you can't handle 30-40 credits of undergrad pre-reqs on your own then you're going to have a crazy hard time in medical school. And just to give you an idea, I had approximately your stats (though my GPA never got to a 3.0). I did DIY post-bacc -> SMP -> med school. The SMP course load is about 5x harder and faster than anything you've ever had, and med school is twice as much as that (more classes + clinical skills/rotations/etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, @bears1992 is absolutely right. If you can't handle 30-40 credits of undergrad pre-reqs on your own then you're going to have a crazy hard time in medical school. And just to give you an idea, I had approximately your stats (though my GPA never got to a 3.0). I did DIY post-bacc -> SMP -> med school. The SMP course load is about 5x harder and faster than anything you've ever had, and med school is twice as much as that (more classes + clinical skills/rotations/etc).
Sounds like fun ;)

I believe my original message should be centered around whether or not I should be taking the 30 units to get to that 3.0 or will I be left with the DIY as my only option. I believe that everyone should be up for the challenge if they're thinking about this route. But that's some pretty impressive and extensive work there, what year are you if you don't mind me asking? I would like to pick as many brains as I can on this journey. Trying to find more people like you who are killing a DIYs and SMPs for the insight. Just personal preference I would prefer the support system of a traditional post bacc seeing as students take the same courses in succession together in the same fashion as most medical schools. I believe the coursework in any situation SMP, DIY, PB wouldn't be too difficult, as all things just require a different level of hard work and determination.

Its not the 30 units I'm concerned with, its the DIY. I'm big on collaboration. Id prefer to "struggle" with others.

Its not the 30 units I'm concerned with, its the DIY. I'm big on collaboration. Id prefer to "struggle" with others.
You are still taking courses with other students. It's not really any different than a traditional postbac.

You will also still have your professors and TAs to talk to and get help if you need it. You might not have access to a career center or counselor but honestly you don't need those anyways to be telling you how to survive your classes

You are still taking courses with other students. It's not really any different than a traditional postbac.
I think OP wants to surround himself/herself with other non-traditional premeds.

I apologize in advance because I'm not really contributing anything constructive to this thread but I also did a post bacc ---> SMP ---> Medical school (acceptance this cycle)!! I wonder if we are two of a few or two of many to do both post bacc and SMP!

I apologize in advance because I'm not really contributing anything constructive to this thread but I also did a post bacc ---> SMP ---> Medical school (acceptance this cycle)!! I wonder if we are two of a few or two of many to do both post bacc and SMP!
Haha glad to hear there's another success story. In my case, I didn't really have a choice. I only had a few of the basic pre-reqs from my time in college >10 years before my DIY post-bacc. In addition, my cGPA was so bad that even getting it to 3.0 would've taken years. I wasn't reading SDN or the premed subreddit very much back then, so I only had a small inkling of what a hole I was in. Thankfully, I performed well in my post-bacc and on the MCAT to prove to the SMP that I could hack it, and then I proved to the medical school that I could handle their stuff in the SMP. Sometimes I still have a hard time believing I'm in medical school.

Haha glad to hear there's another success story. In my case, I didn't really have a choice. I only had a few of the basic pre-reqs from my time in college >10 years before my DIY post-bacc. In addition, my cGPA was so bad that even getting it to 3.0 would've taken years. I wasn't reading SDN or the premed subreddit very much back then, so I only had a small inkling of what a hole I was in. Thankfully, I performed well in my post-bacc and on the MCAT to prove to the SMP that I could hack it, and then I proved to the medical school that I could handle their stuff in the SMP. Sometimes I still have a hard time believing I'm in medical school.

Pretty much the exact same story for me except it wasn't 10 years since my undergrad. Did the PB then I actually applied once and was waitlisted at all schools to which I interviewed. I think it had less to do with my interviews and more to do with the fact that I had very little upper level coursework with my first application - essentially just had the pre-reqs + Biochemistry. Completed the SMP and did well and as above, I was accepted this year! I still have a hard time realizing it isn't all just a dream!