Are you telling people at work that you got accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in a clinical setting and I am like, the low person on the totem pole. Basically, people give me alot of crap and I am trampled by the patients all day long. :rolleyes:

Still, I am learning alot.

I got accepted to a school I like and but I have decided to not say anything at work. I don't want to be harrassed or abused by the medical assistants or other staff for the next few months, so it seems wise to just keep my future to myself.

Of course, they might be supportive but I just don't want to take the chance. Anyone else keeping this information to themselves at work???

Members don't see this ad.

Someone who I work with in the ER (clinical research and shadowing) got in, and told the head of our program. She now occasionally gets ribbed about it or congratulated by various ER doctors. Nothing too bad, so let them know if you want.

Why wouldn't you tell all those people?

I'm a paramedic, and I made sure that let my coworkers know I'm going to outrank and outearn them soon enough. I'm the youngest person in the entire company, and I am treated as such. It's time to turn in around.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should be proud of your accomplishment and shouldn't hide it from people, unless of course you want to. don't be arrogant, but be happy.

I work in an emergency department as well, and all of the doctors and nurses have been really supportive. I get high-fives and even a few hugs when my co-workers find out that I was accepted. The doctors actually take the time to teach me more and give me more responsibility knowing that I am going to med school (I've gotten to put in a few sutures!) My manager was even excited and didn't mind at all that I already knew I'd be quitting at the end of June.

Originally posted by lcm888
I work in an emergency department as well, and all of the doctors and nurses have been really supportive. I get high-fives and even a few hugs when my co-workers find out that I was accepted. The doctors actually take the time to teach me more and give me more responsibility knowing that I am going to med school (I've gotten to put in a few sutures!) My manager was even excited and didn't mind at all that I already knew I'd be quitting at the end of June.

lcm,

What is your job title in the ER?

I'm a tech, which essentially means nothing. I have a degree in biology, but the job only requires a HS diploma. Most of the other people who have my job are either nursing students, EMTs, or other pre-meds.

To the OP,

I wouldn't hide it, just don't brag.

And have some comebacks for those, "You're the smart one, what is thus and such mean and why don't you know this?" comments.

Tell them you don't know yet but that if they have any questions about organic chemistry or physics you'd love to answer them.;)

I'm a research technician and I've told my boss and several others that I got in. They all knew that I was applying to medical school.

Anyway, I didn't tell one of my co-workers because she's applying at the same time as me and still has no interviews at this point. I felt that if I told her that I got in to the school that's her first choice, she'd hate me. She didn't wish me good luck on any of my interviews so I'm sure that the animosity and jeolousy is there. Anyway, I'm sure she's going to find out soon, but what can I do that won't break our friendship....any ideas?

some people may work at a corporation that would fire them if they knew the soon-to-be-med-student was guaranteed to quit 6+ months down the road.

be happy, but be prudent about who you tell. i know i would have been let go right there if i had told my previous employer that i had gotten in that october and would be leaving in august. they could have trained someone else by then and saved the money from me, the more expensive employee, who would be leaving. not everyone has the good fortune of a job where the news would be well received.

One of my friends was a nurse before medical school and when she got in, she said she got a lot of attitude and negative vibes from a few other nurses, although most were supportive.

What you will likely find is that the docs will congratulate and begin to teach you as a med student. You may get shunned by some of the other people such as nurses who think that you may start to act better than them. Make sure not to do this. As a paramedic, I received mostly congratulations and support among my peers except for the few I didn't get along with anyway who all of a sudden though have started to be really nice to me??? Maybe they thinik I'll be their medical director in a few years?

Originally posted by Kashue
...she'd hate me. She didn't wish me good luck on any of my interviews so I'm sure that the animosity and jeolousy is there.

...what can I do that won't break our friendship....any ideas?

Sounds like a true "friend" to me!

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's interesting to hear the different responses to this. I get alot of crap now as it is on this job, I don't know if I want to get the "you're the doctor, you should know this ..." kind of stuff.

I'm more inclined to be like GoodMonkey, and keep my personal life to myself. I just don't know yet if the news would be well received. I wish I felt confident that I would be supported, but it's not that kind of job, or clinical setting.

I'm definitely proud of this great achievement, and my tendancy is to downplay good news, in general. I don't think I'm arrogant or anything. I am just afraid that people on the job will treat me very differently, that's all, and I'd like to continue working up till July.

Great feedback, tho, I appreciate the comments. :)

Paws: Check out the "should I tell my pets I got accepted to medical school?" thread. It's hilarious!!

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Paws: Check out the "should I tell my pets I got accepted to medical school?" thread. It's hilarious!!

yea...hilarious.:rolleyes:

If you are applying or interviewing for a job never ever ever ever ever tell them that you are planning to go to med school or dental or vet or whatever your choice is. Just tell them that you have no career plans other than the job you are applying for. This doesn't really apply to jobs that commonly employ pre-health care students.

Originally posted by indo
yea...hilarious.:rolleyes:

If you are applying or interviewing for a job never ever ever ever ever tell them that you are planning to go to med school or dental or vet or whatever your choice is. Just tell them that you have no career plans other than the job you are applying for. This doesn't really apply to jobs that commonly employ pre-health care students.

I though you agreed with me until I saw the face... Oh, well... I still think it's funny. I also think you misunderstood the op. She's already ACCEPTED to medical school. While you offer sage advice (i.e not showing ambition for fear of the employer feeling you will leave them for the next best thing and therefore not hire you), I don't think it really pertains to the OP's situation. She should give the heads up so they can look for a replacement and are not left stranded when she just leaves.

Hey - are you guys makin' fun of me ???

:)

It is a great thread, I was thinking today about getting some pets to keep me company, but now I just don't know ... :laugh:

Things could be totally high five-ish, but on the other hand, the Short-Timer Attitude might become a factor.

Because people know you are on your way out, they have less incentive to treat you well.

But this really has more to do with the individual people you are working with, and you yourself are in the best place to predict how they might respond to the news.