Arm dexterity not finger dexterity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamarcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D1 with a question about supination of the forearm and how often you rotate to complete an aspect of it in dentistry with patients. My forearms only rotate to about 90 degrees which I thought was normal until we did some basic clinic aspects. Anyone else have this problem? Apparently a few percent of the population have it to varying degrees.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean? Can explain via pictures. I have a friend in dental school with limited supination. But she has been fine throughout dental school. Can you explain further the flexibility of your forearms? Pictures would be helpful

For example with elbows at the sides and forearms out, the thumbs only go from pointing inward to straight up rather than all the way to outward.
6cd7410b2bf77c54d2bacbb71aa3bd4a.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, pretty much stuck at 0 degrees in pic on the right.

From my personal opinion I think that's quite a big issue. You should definitely investigate further before you invest three years. Good luck.

...extraction is a no go yet you're already a D1 so idk...a lot of the time, I catch myself with poor ergo by bending my arms during operative instead of being relaxed and below hip level....ask your dentist because I can't fully visualize how much movement you have

I never gave forearm/wrist range of motion (ROM) much thought until I read this post on Thursday. I checked out myself out using the picture pamarcher provided. It turns out I exceed the limits in both elbow and wrist ROM.

I am considered a pretty good operator by many people. I don't know if my extreme ROM of my arm/wrist has anything to do with it but...
Yesterday I had a number of surgical cases a and I tried to take note of how often I was working at the extreme ends of the ROM. It turned out that I was functioning in that "wider range" quite often. In fact when I was doing surgical removal of 3rds I was in the extreme range during all of the critical points.

As I say I never gave this topic a bit of though until now, but I am beginning to think this might be a good thing to investigate for all prospective dentists.

^ Extreme range like 85+ in supination?

I appreciate the all the input. It's something I didn't even realize was that abnormal until I read a list of things people do to compensate for it. Do you regularly use this position when using a finger rest?

Hmm, never gave this much thought. I just realized that I sometimes work in the extreme ends. For example, when I have to wax up a cast still attached to an articulator (those pins get in the way)! I sometimes overextend my arms to get the right angle instead of switching instruments. There isn't always an instrument with the right shape to suit my needs..

Definitely have it checked out by a physician