Army Infectious disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic741

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, was wondering if anyone on here is an infectious ID doc who's willing to answer a few questions? There's a student at my program who's interested in military medicine & has a strong interest in ID, she's thinking of joining (3 yr HPSP) but wanted to talk with someone in the military who's on that path.

Members don't see this ad.

^^^ bump!
I'm also lowkey interested in ID as a Military Doc

You would probably get more info if you contacted the recruiters. They are usually very responsive and able to give direct answers. I was interested in it for a while, but because I am on a J1 Visa status, I was unable to apply. When I was looking up this option, they seemed to have many opportunities for internal medicine and infectious diseases too. I think the title is infectious disease officer.

Infectious Disease Officer (61G)

The recruiters will have absolutely no idea how to answer your question, as they by and large have no idea what its like to be a military physician. Their job is to get you to sign up, and secondarily to understand the basic mechanics of HPSP a little. All of them do the first job, and only a few do the second. I've never met one who had a basic understanding of what a doc in the military actually does on a day-to-day basis. They might be able to hook you up with an ID doc, however, so that you can ask questions. There aren't that many ID docs in the Army.

Many of your questions could be asked here in this forum, and answered appropriately. Some of them may be specific to that kind of practice, but I can't imagine that they all are.