Army match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this info but was unable to find an answer.

I spoke with the Army HPSP recruiter and he was explaining the match process. He told me that you have 5 slots to put a desired residency. He said you could put 5 different locations or if you want you could put 5 different residencies.

For example you could put dermatology on line one. This would in effect apply you to every dermatology residency. On line two you could put something else like PM&R, and so on.

Is this true? Do some people chose to apply to multiple specialties, and if so is this frowned upon, or do people who apply to something competitive do this to make sure they have a backup plan?

Also if your a DO is it necessary to take the USMLE for milmed or is the COMLEX fine for every residency?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Members don't see this ad.

I searched for this info but was unable to find an answer.

I spoke with the Army HPSP recruiter and he was explaining the match process. He told me that you have 5 slots to put a desired residency. He said you could put 5 different locations or if you want you could put 5 different residencies.

For example you could put dermatology on line one. This would in effect apply you to every dermatology residency. On line two you could put something else like PM&R, and so on.

Is this true? Do some people chose to apply to multiple specialties, and if so is this frowned upon, or do people who apply to something competitive do this to make sure they have a backup plan?

Also if your a DO is it necessary to take the USMLE for milmed or is the COMLEX fine for every residency?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Incorrect. You select a goal or desired specialty, and then are required to rank every program for that specialty (up to five). If a specialty has fewer than five programs, then you are required to rank all of the programs for that specialty, followed by Transitional internship, and then can rank other specialty programs. For example: if you wanted to do Emergency Medicine, there are three such programs in the Army. You would select EM as your specialty, rank the three programs (#s 1-3), then TY internship as #4, then anything else as #5. At least, these were the instructions two years ago, anyone who has gone through this process more recently, feel free to chime in.

As for your other question, COMLEX should be sufficient (lots of us DOs in the military).

Sounds about right about the way you select a residency.

As for the COMLEX and USMLE, best way to know is call the residency programs. Essentially the rotations are MD. But the military knows it has DOs so best to check with the residency programs.

Dont forget that the Match is done by a points system. See attached Word Document.

And you need to know that certain residencies only train at certain locations:
https://education.mods.army.mil/MedEd/GME/Grids/ResidencyGrid.asp?ViewFromPublic=1

Attachments

• Military Residency Applicant Score Guidance.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 119