Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would call your state's army national guard officer recruiting office then ask to speak to the health professionals recruiter. I found the number on the state specific national guard site and then called the officer recruitment and they put me in contact with medical professional recruiter. I think it's very important to get to the medical professional recruiter because other recruiters may not know what this program is.

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to go to my local university to get my Master's and become a PA. I know this forum is about MDs but I was wondering if anyone has any information about this program for PAs. I have seen the webpage by the National Guard and know that this program works for MDs, Dentists, and PAs as well. It's a sweet deal for PAs as that program only takes 2 1/2 years & the ASR gives you 3 years!!! I am married with kids and looking to change my career without having my wife have to leave my 1 year old daughter and go back to work in order for me to go to school.

Yes, you must have an acceptance letter in hand.

See, here is a question I have. I just posted asking for information about this program as it would relate to PAs. I know that the time between getting accepted and actually starting Med School is a bigger gap. For example, at my local University where I plan to study for my Master's in PA Studies, you have to have all the pre-reqs done by the fall before the Jan 15 deadline to apply. They review apps and do interviews Feb-March, decision are then given 3-4 weeks after they complete interviews. Matriculation to the program would be in August of that same year. That doesn't leave much time to go to a 9-week BCT for the National Guard. Maybe I'm missing something here...it seems somewhere I saw that you don't do BCT but only do OBC. Even at that I looked up OBC on goarmy.com and saw that that lasts 10-14 weeks. (Of course, I know that is the active duty site, not the guard, but I'm assuming it is the same.) Let's say you get an acceptance letter at the end of April. This doesn't leave much time between May and Mid August when the program begins to get in 10-14 weeks of OBC. It's kind of a catch-22 because you can't get into the ASR without an acceptance letter but if you wait for it you can't go through basic training in time before you start the program.

Does anyone have any helpful info on any of this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's exactly like an interview. I had a Colonel and two Lt. colonels. But it's really no sweat after med school interviews. I do recommend that you cut off the ponytail, take out the earrings, hide the tattoos, etc, if that applies.

primadonna22274: Age is not an issue, I'm 39. You can use the bonus for whatever you like, but it will only be available to you after graduation from med school, and it will incur additional obligation. I personally plan on taking the STRAP stipend during residency, then the bonus (may go up by then), then the loan repayment (not necessarily in that order, we'll see).

I do not know a recruiter in SC, but I can hook you up with an all-singing, all-dancing, bodhisattva of a recruiter who will take good care of you. Just PM me.

EMH: Let us know how it goes, we'll throw virtual confetti and the like. Bon chance, mon amie!!!

That answers another question I had. I'm 32 and will be 33 in November. I'm looking to start the program (PA) in Aug of 2010. (Gotta finish the pre-reqs first while I work my full time job. :oops:). I was wondering about the age limits too. Thanks!

OBC in 2007 was 2 weeks (I wanted to go then, but they couldn't get me in that quickly). It changed to a 25 day course in 2008. I didn't know that it has been expanded to 27 days (no big deal).

Maybe the enlisted recruiter is trying to get v-lander a line officer commission while he waits for school to start. That is not necessary. An acceptance letter in hand got me my direct appointment. You can get assigned to a local Med det and drill while waiting for school to start.

Ok - I think this answers some of my questions. So you direct appoint to the ASR and can do OBC later (in between semester, maybe). I wonder if this is the same if you are going into it as a PA?

ASR is the same deal for PAs as it is for MD/DO, DDS/DMD students.

Ok - I think this answers some of my questions. So you direct appoint to the ASR and can do OBC later (in between semester, maybe). I wonder if this is the same if you are going into it as a PA?
OBLC is only 5 times a year, so it might or might not fit in your schedule.

I think you'll find that there's a wealth of knowledge about the ASR program for medical students but I don't know any PAs that have gone through via ASR. The information is probably the same, but you should really talk to a recruiter directly to make sure you have accurate information.

Also, don't plan this thing too finely. Some folks have expressed interest and started drawing pay within a few months. Some have taken as long as 8 months. I submitted paperwork in June and am hoping to start ASR in January. Don't expect things to go at a best-case speed.

Best of luck to you...

ASR is the same deal for PAs as it is for MD/DO, DDS/DMD students.

Your posts with info are very helpful!

On the issue of age: What exactly is the age limit to get into the program?

Last edited:
OBLC is only 5 times a year, so it might or might not fit in your schedule.

I think you'll find that there's a wealth of knowledge about the ASR program for medical students but I don't know any PAs that have gone through via ASR. The information is probably the same, but you should really talk to a recruiter directly to make sure you have accurate information.

Also, don't plan this thing too finely. Some folks have expressed interest and started drawing pay within a few months. Some have taken as long as 8 months. I submitted paperwork in June and am hoping to start ASR in January. Don't expect things to go at a best-case speed.

Best of luck to you...

5 times a year? Hmmm. Hypothetically thinking if the PA school gives acceptance letters by around the end of April, mabye they would have a school between May and when the PA program starts in mid/late August. I guess, from what I gather, that it really doesn't matter if you do it before during or after you graduate.

Thanks for the advice...I'll certainly speak to a recruiter at some point. Right now I've started going to Kung Fu (the adult class at the same school my kids go to) to try to get myself in better shape in the meantime. I don't want them to look at me and think I'm not even worth their time...lol. I need to loose a little to meet the height/weight entrance requirements. Does anyone know how strict they are on that issue?

I've been trying to figure out how I could do this for a while and I think this program just might be the ticket. It's awesome!

As for planning finely... YIKES! That's kinda scary. I know that it's pretty much the same with Medical school, but the PA program only starts in the Fall of each year. Getting set back a whole year would really suck! Right now I'm a GS-12 civian federal employee with good health benefits etc for my family; It would really suck to leave that and then be left high and dry with no job or acceptance into the ASR for a year. Double yikes! Oh well, I guess that's the risk to take for the chance to make a career change to what you really want. :D

Thanks again for your comments! :)

PS: In case anyone is interested I found the following information:

AMEDD Officer Basic Leaders Course (Reserve Component)
Course Dates
Fiscal Year 2009​

Class 09-002: 30 Oct – 25 Nov 2008

Class 09-003: 22 Jan – 17 Feb 2009

Class 09-004: 09 Apr – 04 May 2009

Class 09-005: 23 Jun – 19 Jul 2009
Class 09-006: 31 Jul – 24 Oct 2009

Last edited:
In order to get past MEPS you'll have to weigh in under your weight. If you don't you can 'be taped'. They measure your neck and chest and plug this into a table to get a body fat percentage. The allowed BF% depends on gender and age and is in another table. For more info on the tape test I'd google Army body fat calculation. This is pretty much set in stone as I understand it. I think enlisted people have a third option (AMES test?) that isn't much fun and still eventually have to get under weight or get booted.

You don't have to pass PFT upon entry but you'll have to twice a year once your in. If you don't pass the PFT you'll be flagged and ineligible for promotion.

I need to loose a little to meet the height/weight entrance requirements. Does anyone know how strict they are on that issue?
Very. You need to pass it to be eligible for the program.

Like EMH says, if you don't pass, they'll do the tape test, but from multiple folks I've talked to, you do not want the tape test. I talked to one candidate whose tape measurements varied by 4% depending on who was doing it. If you don't meet the heigh weight requirements due to the fact that you're a powerlifter, the tape might be kind, but if you just are overweight via powereating, you should just work on getting under your target weight before you go in.

I sympathize. I'm not far under the weight limits for my height. And it ain't from powerlifting...

In order to get past MEPS you'll have to weigh in under your weight. If you don't you can 'be taped'. They measure your neck and chest and plug this into a table to get a body fat percentage. The allowed BF% depends on gender and age and is in another table. For more info on the tape test I'd google Army body fat calculation. This is pretty much set in stone as I understand it. I think enlisted people have a third option (AMES test?) that isn't much fun and still eventually have to get under weight or get booted.

You don't have to pass PFT upon entry but you'll have to twice a year once your in. If you don't pass the PFT you'll be flagged and ineligible for promotion.

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured as such. I know I can do it. :D I've got plenty of time between now and when I would get in. I've looked at the PFT requirements and I can do them now, even though I don't meet the height/weight requirements. :thumbup:

Very. You need to pass it to be eligible for the program.

Like EMH says, if you don't pass, they'll do the tape test, but from multiple folks I've talked to, you do not want the tape test. I talked to one candidate whose tape measurements varied by 4% depending on who was doing it. If you don't meet the heigh weight requirements due to the fact that you're a powerlifter, the tape might be kind, but if you just are overweight via powereating, you should just work on getting under your target weight before you go in.

Thanks! I'll make sure I meet the weight requirement then. I don't want to have face that tape test, whe way it sounds.

I sympathize. I'm not far under the weight limits for my height. And it ain't from powerlifting...

:laugh: I'm dedicated--I'll get there.

Chocolate Ex-Lax brownies PO QD

Disclaimer: the above is not actual medical advice

Members don't see this ad :)

Nor is the old preparation H in the saran wrap. I was explaining it to a woman I know and she started asking enough specific questions about the mechanism that I got worried.

My waivers just came through so I'm apparently cleared to go to MEPS. Took a long time, but big props to LTC Guerriero really helped me through the process in conjunction with my local (CA) recruiter. Hoping for a date in mid-November to meet the January date.

Nor is the old preparation H in the saran wrap. I was explaining it to a woman I know and she started asking enough specific questions about the mechanism that I got worried.

My waivers just came through so I'm apparently cleared to go to MEPS. Took a long time, but big props to LTC Guerriero really helped me through the process in conjunction with my local (CA) recruiter. Hoping for a date in mid-November to meet the January date.

It's such a long, stressful project isn't it?!

I was fortunate to get it done so fast and get in the system. Took me two months to get in and 2 months after that to get paid...but really, that's actually pretty fast. It's all worth it now...hang in there. :thumbup:

:laugh:LOL:laugh: ...maybe some water pills though, if necessary...lol

Congrats! What were you getting a waiver for?

Congrats! What were you getting a waiver for?
A broken knee from childhood, family cholesterol and heartburn. Nothing all that atypical for a guy in his 30's. Lot of hoops to jump through, but it looks like it may just pay off.

A broken knee from childhood, family cholesterol and heartburn. Nothing all that atypical for a guy in his 30's. Lot of hoops to jump through, but it looks like it may just pay off.

I see. I don't have any medical issues like that (that I'm aware of) other than the afformentioned powereating. lol. Glad to hear it's going to work out for you. :)

I'm off to officer's school today...wish me luck. I may not post for awhile.

Are you taking off a rotation or something? How are you going during the middle of the year?

And good luck, come back.

I'm off to officer's school today...wish me luck. I may not post for awhile.
Good luck at OBLC, iatrosB. We'll be real curious to hear how it goes. It sure looks like it'll be a h e l l of an experience.

Are you taking off a rotation or something? How are you going during the middle of the year?

And good luck, come back.

Ahh, the beauty of 4th year:love:...you'll be there soon enough.

Good luck at OBLC, iatrosB. We'll be real curious to hear how it goes. It sure looks like it'll be a h e l l of an experience.

The quarters are pretty nice...single occupancy, bathroom, microwave/frig, workspace (with high speed internet :D), cable TV...could be worse.

We'll see how the "field" goes though.

Oh, and San Antonio is BEAUTIFUL this time of year!

Ahh, the beauty of 4th year:love:...you'll be there soon enough.

I was considering taking off a rotation in the fourth year and going to OBLC in Oct as well to avoid the heat. It's either that or take of a 3rd year rotation which due to the way the rules are written here would be difficult. You'll have to share your experience.

To those that have gone to OBLC...do people there wear body armor and a vest/rig/kit (whatever you want to call it) that they brought? All the pictures I've seen, soldiers wear the stupid LBV (load bearing vest), which is useless...and they don't wear body armor. Being in the military for 7 years now, I have my own vest and also have body armor. I don't care much for wearing body armor at OBLC, but I'd rather wear my own vest rather than use the LBV. Anyone been in similar situations?

Oh one more thing, San Antonio is GREAT. I love Fort Sam Houston. I had to go there for 4 months for medic school in 2004, and loved the area. There is a huge PX on base, which is the size of a big Walmart, and you pay no tax. It was really hot though as I was there from July-November.

I was considering taking off a rotation in the fourth year and going to OBLC in Oct as well to avoid the heat. It's either that or take of a 3rd year rotation which due to the way the rules are written here would be difficult. You'll have to share your experience.

Do it 4th year :thumbup:

The quarters are pretty nice...single occupancy, bathroom, microwave/frig, workspace (with high speed internet :D), cable TV...could be worse.
Sounds better than my digs at med school. Enjoy. I'm sure you'll be yearning for your quarters after spending a few nights in the field. Curious to see how it goes.

For all you current ASR'ers out there:

1. Do you know if we're eligible for the Flight Surgeon course in fourth year? I heard that Guardsmen can attend, but wanted confirmation. I'd possibly need it to get assigned to a unit I like but would have to go fourth year.

2. can someone confirm the upcoming ASR start dates? I know there's one January 1st. Is the next April 1st? I can't go in for my physical until mid-November, so my odds of making the January 1st cut are remote and I'm just curious how many months set-back this will be.

Does anybody know how many ASR positions are left unfilled at this time? Do they take 200 people per year, or is it 200 for the life of the ASR program?

Does anybody know how many ASR positions are left unfilled at this time? Do they take 200 people per year, or is it 200 for the life of the ASR program?

200 per fiscal year, which just began. I think they added quite a few Nov 1. I have no doubt that this will become a competitive program.

I'm sure you'll be yearning for your quarters after spending a few nights in the field.

For sure!

We go out Monday for five days in the field...should suck but be sweet at the same time.

For all you current ASR'ers out there:

1. Do you know if we're eligible for the Flight Surgeon course in fourth year? I heard that Guardsmen can attend, but wanted confirmation. I'd possibly need it to get assigned to a unit I like but would have to go fourth year.

Yes, I have been offered a spot and my school would give credit for it.

Mind to share how to go about pursuing this?

Once you get sworn in, talk with someone from your command (education officer). This person will be the one to get you into OBLC...they can also get you into FS school.

There is a HUGE need for FS in the guard :thumbup:

PT tests are fun :thumbdown:barf:

There is a HUGE need for FS in the guard :thumbup:
I've also head that in the Guard, the FS tag is the equivalent of a big sign on your back saying "Deploy Me". Good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Apparently, though, if you're worried about possbily going into a specialty that the Guard doesn't need and want to avoid being shifted to the US Army Reserves, if you're FS qualified, you can stay in the Guard and serve as a FS.

Still confirming this, but it's intriguing for some in that situation.

Just remember that the bullet comes out the pointy end..lol..

LOL how'd you do?

Passed very highly, not sure about honors...forgot standards for my age.

On an interesting note, for the NG/reserves OBLC, honors for the course is based off your PT tests, not GPA or field training scores (we don't take written tests).

Passed very highly, not sure about honors...forgot standards for my age.

On an interesting note, for the NG/reserves OBLC, honors for the course is based off your PT tests, not GPA or field training scores (we don't take written tests).
PT Test as in the number of push-ups, sit-ups and 2 mile run time? Or obstacle course time?

I usually max my push-ups, get about 70 sit-ups, and do roughly 14:30-15:00 on my run. When I was in basic training the fastest I ran was 13:30...but that was 6 years ago lol

Wow.

On the upside, iatrosB, it has to really go against your training to sit in a classroom session with a bunch of lectures and not furiously scribble notes with the understanding that if you don't pass the material, you'll have another year of medical school. Must be a nice change, no?

Anyway, take care of yourself. Glad to hear it's treating your right.

On the upside, iatrosB, it has to really go against your training to sit in a classroom session with a bunch of lectures and not furiously scribble notes with the understanding that if you don't pass the material, you'll have another year of medical school. Must be a nice change, no?

Well, I never really did in med school either :D

On a side note, we go to the field tomorrow for 5 days straight...five days without showers, regular meals (MREs :thumbdown:), or a soft bed.

On a side note, we go to the field tomorrow for 5 days straight...five days without showers, regular meals (MREs :thumbdown:), or a soft bed.
Enjoy your time out in the bush. You'll have plenty of time for more classroom when you come back to school. Take care...

Oh boo hoo...