Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like 1:1 better meaning STRAP would sting for a resident of a surgical specialty. If I were to do STRAP and both SP/HPLRP, I might as well stay in for 30. Which, who knows, I may do anyway, but it'd be nice to have a choice.

And I still look at HPLRP and Special Pay as "1:1", in that if they pay you once, you owe a year. Whether you've already worked that year or have yet to is trivial.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were to do STRAP and both SP/HPLRP, I might as well stay in for 30. Which, who knows, I may do anyway, but it'd be nice to have a choice.
Yeah, this is the big advantage that the Guard has over HPSP and other programs. You don't sign your life away. You make iterative commitments and can stop accruing at any step. Of course, with a 2:1 commitment, if you do General Surgery, you'll be drilling for 15 years before you can pull the plug, which is a pretty big commitment for $120K.
And I still look at HPLRP and Special Pay as "1:1", in that if they pay you once, you owe a year. Whether you've already worked that year or have yet to is trivial.
It's different, though. I avoid saying 1:1 about HPLRP and Special Pay because when most people hear 1:1 or 2:1 when discussing military programs (MDSSP, STRAP, HPSP, FAP, etc), they are talking about the amount of payback (1 or 2) they need to pay back for every 1 year of benefits they receive :)1). A 1:1 program is something like FAP, where you receive a stipend for five years while in residency, then payback 5 years of service after. Or for MDSSP (if you also take STRAP later), which is a 1:1 program because you accrue 4 years of obligation to be paid back after taking benefits for four years.

I wouldn't use the term 1:1 to talk about HPLRP or Special Pay because it implies to lots of folks that you take Special Pay for one year, get the money, then owe a year of service afterwards, which isn't the case. Lots of people out there think that's how it works, for some reason.

No biggie. There's just a lot of confusion about Guard programs, but folks seem to get the 1:1 and 2:1 when talking about MDSSP and STRAP, so I avoid using the terms differently when discussing programs like Special Pay and HPLRP. I get what you're saying now though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The above link should definitely be posted with the following disclaimer:

Some of the information is outdated and some of it is incorrect. Do NOT use this as gospel.

Ok, now I understand. :idea: The reason the NGB incentives manager said that I need to enroll in STRAP is since you can't be under obligation for another program and receive the HPLRP at the same time you have to enroll in STRAP so you are not technically under obligation for MDSSP until after residency.

The memorandum states:

The HPLR program and STRAP may be offered at the same time provided that the eligible Physician has completed at least 2 years of residency training and is not in the obligor phase of STRAP. The Physician may enroll at eh beginning of the second year of residency and receive the first loan repayment 1 year later.

Wow I feel like an idiot.

The reason the NGB incentives manager said that I need to enroll in STRAP is since you can't be under obligation for another program and receive the HPLRP at the same time you have to enroll in STRAP so you are not technically under obligation for MDSSP until after residency.
Not really true. Read my response to your original question (post #2645) on the last page. You can be under obligation for another program, you just can't be in payback mode.

You can only take HPLRP under two conditions:
  • you are board certified/board eligible (i.e.: after residency)
  • you are not in PAYBACK mode for any obligation-incurring program.

The only thing special about STRAP is that it waives the BC/BE requirement early so that you can take HPLRP during R3, R4, etc.

If you take just MDSSP, you are ineligible for HPLRP until after you are BC/BE and finish payback mode (which will depend on your length of time on MDSSP and the length of your residency).
Ex: 2 years of MDSSP followed by a five year Radiology residency. You have four years of payback that is finished after R4. You can start taking HPLRP as soon as you graduate residency (as you are now board eligible).
Ex: 4 years of MDSSP followed by four years of Psychiatry residency. You have 8 years of payback which starts after med school. You can start taking HPLRP four years after finishing your residency.

If you take just STRAP, you are ineligible for HPLRP until after you are BC/BE and finish payback mode (with the EXCEPTION of years R3+).
Ex: You take STRAP for four years during your psychiatry residency. R3 and R4 you can take STRAP as well as HPLRP. You graduate residency and enter payback mode for 8 years. You can take your final year of HPLRP 8 years after finishing residency.

If you take MDSSP and STRAP you are ineligible for HPLRP until after you are BC/BE and finish payback mode (with the EXCEPTION of years R3+).
Ex: You take MDSSP for four years during medical school and STRAP for four years during your psychiatry residency. R3 and R4 you can take STRAP as well as HPLRP. You graduate residency and enter payback mode for 12 years. You can take your final year of HPLRP 12 years after finishing residency.
Ex: You take MDSSP for four years during medical school and STRAP for three years during your FP residency. R3 you can take STRAP as well as HPLRP. You graduate residency and enter payback mode for 10 years. YOu can take your final two years of HPLRP 10 years after finishing residency.

Your original post said:
[The recruiter] said that if someone takes MDSSP they have to take STRAP to receive HPLRP.
Here's why this is incorrect: MDSSP folks can still receive HPLRP, just not until they're BE/BC and done with payback. The only thing taking STRAP does is allow you to take HPLRP during your R3+ years of residency. But after you're done, you also can't take HPLRP until you're done with payback. And if you're on STRAP, that's a lot more payback.

Let me know if any of this is still unclear. The examples above should sort of go through every scenario possible.
The memorandum states:

The HPLR program and STRAP may be offered at the same time provided that the eligible Physician has completed at least 2 years of residency training and is not in the obligor phase of STRAP. [ndy comment: meaning you can take it R3+, but not after you finish residency, until you are done with your STRAP and/or MDSSP payback] The Physician may enroll at eh beginning of the second year of residency and receive the first loan repayment 1 year later.

Last edited:
And one final point on the STRAP exemption to the needing to be BC/BE:

According to policy, in order get that exemption, you need to be in a "critical wartime shortage" specialty. If you are not, you can't take HPLRP while in residency, you have to wait until you are BC/BE like everybody else.

That said, the "critical wartime shortage" specialty covers a lot of them, and many of those not covered are taken care of as being qualified under a Flight/Field surgeon slot. But some specialties don't make the list, namely: Nuclear Med, Anesthesiologist, Radiologist, Pathologist.

Something to keep in mind. And also keep in mind that the list of what qualifies as a "critical wartime shortage" could very well shrink in 2 or 4 or 6 years when folks start thinking about taking HPLRP.

Now that I'm done with BOLC, I can get the Selected Reserve GI Bill. This is the obligation it would incur:

Officers must obligate 6 years Selected Reserve service in addition to any current Selected Reserve obligation. For use by Selected Reserve officers of the Army National Guard of the United States (ARNGUS) and US Army Reserve (USAR).

Can someone tell me what this means with the ASR program? Is this obligation concurrent with it or in addition? I've already been an officer for almost a year with ASR.

Just wanted to pass on a good resource on ASR that was sent my way:

https://sites.google.com/site/usdarmystudentrecruiter/

Hey, Just so you know, a lot of work was put into this site, and it was never intended to be released to an audience like SDN. That said, it's out there, and I assure you the author will do his best to update and correct it when the time constraints of medical school will allow.

Please be aware that you will find inaccuracies!

Do your part in verifying any information that looks odd. You should be able to leave a comment on any page that looks inaccurate, please do so.

Again, the author will do his best to verify or correct any mentioned mistakes or inaccuracies as soon as practical.

Hey, Just so you know, a lot of work was put into this site, and it was never intended to be released to an audience like SDN. That said, it's out there, and I assure you the author will do his best to update and correct it when the time constraints of medical school will allow.

Please be aware that you will find inaccuracies!

Do your part in verifying any information that looks odd. You should be able to leave a comment on any page that looks inaccurate, please do so.

Again, the author will do his best to verify or correct any mentioned mistakes or inaccuracies as soon as practical.

My apologies to the site's author. I didn't mean to step outside of his or her desires. I was just impressed with the effort that went into the site and wanted to share it with others. I removed the link from my post, hopefully before too much damage has been done.

Now that I'm done with BOLC, I can get the Selected Reserve GI Bill. This is the obligation it would incur:

Officers must obligate 6 years Selected Reserve service in addition to any current Selected Reserve obligation. For use by Selected Reserve officers of the Army National Guard of the United States (ARNGUS) and US Army Reserve (USAR).

Can someone tell me what this means with the ASR program? Is this obligation concurrent with it or in addition? I've already been an officer for almost a year with ASR.
Here's the deal: The Reserve GI Bill requirement of a 6 year commitment can be run concurrently with any other obligation, but it starts when you sign it. So if you have a six year commitment starting as an MS1 and you start the GI Bill at the end of your MS3 year, while you only have three more years of drilling responsibility for the Guard, you have now extended that to six years. Make sense?

Here's the deal: The Reserve GI Bill requirement of a 6 year commitment can be run concurrently with any other obligation, but it starts when you sign it. So if you have a six year commitment starting as an MS1 and you start the GI Bill at the end of your MS3 year, while you only have three more years of drilling responsibility for the Guard, you have now extended that to six years. Make sense?

Thanks for confirming!

A little clarification for stacking MDSSP and STRAP please

I'm an MS3 right now and am planning to go into internal medicine.

So I take MDSSP for this year and next = 2 years of MDSSP

Then I get STRAP in residency. Can I take it just for two years or do I have to take it for all three? If I take it for only two, do I get it in the first two years of residency or the last two?

So 2 years MDSSP + 2 years STRAP = 6 years pay back of drilling and potential deployment. Right?

Sorry if this is pretty basic. This is all very easy to understand with one program at a time, but it's a little confusing when looking at programs concurrently.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I take MDSSP for this year and next = 2 years of MDSSP
Correct. MDSSP for 2 years incurs 4 years of drilling immediately after medical school.
Then I get STRAP in residency. Can I take it just for two years or do I have to take it for all three? If I take it for only two, do I get it in the first two years of residency or the last two?
You can take STRAP for just two years of residency. But if you take STRAP for less than your full residency, you can only take it for the final years of residency. So if you take STRAP for 2 years of a 3 year Medicine residency, you'll be taking it PGY2 and PGY3.
So 2 years MDSSP + 2 years STRAP = 6 years pay back of drilling and potential deployment. Right?
No. MDSSP is a 2:1 payback. It is amended to a 1:1 payback only for folks who are accepted into STRAP directly from the MDSSP program. So you'd have two choices:

1. The way you proposed above. MDSSP for 2 years (you now owe 4 years drilling). You pay back one of those years of drilling during your first year of residency (when you do not take STRAP). You then take STRAP for your final two years of residency. You now owe 7 years of drilling post-residency (3 remaining from MDSSP and 4 from STRAP). Make sense?

2. You take MDSSP for 2 years and then move immediately into STRAP for all three years of residency. You now owe 8 years of drilling post-residency (2 years from MDSSP at 1:1 and 6 years from STRAP). Make sense?

The policy is pretty well thought out so that you can't really game it to break things up.

Post if you have any more questions...

Great, that explains the pieces I was missing to put it all together.

So let's assume I take 2 years MDSSP, and 3 years STRAP (since that's what I'm leaning towards at this point).
I drill at whatever schedule by state/unit allows (often flexible time) in school and residency, correct?

Then there isn't much in the way of flexible training after residency. It's one weekend a month, two weeks a year for 8 years. I'm sure there's some exceptions but the drill schedule is probably more to the book after residency correct?

What is the estimated promotion timeline in that period? What is it contingent on beyond just doing my job and duration of service?

Thanks for all of your help.

So let's assume I take 2 years MDSSP, and 3 years STRAP (since that's what I'm leaning towards at this point).
I drill at whatever schedule by state/unit allows (often flexible time) in school and residency, correct?
Correct.
Then there isn't much in the way of flexible training after residency. It's one weekend a month, two weeks a year for 8 years. I'm sure there's some exceptions but the drill schedule is probably more to the book after residency correct?
There's some flexibility after residency, but it's very state dependent. Some states allow docs to do a few days one month and none the next. Depends on the mission, how many docs they have, and the attitude of the CO.

Regardless, you need to make sure you're working enough for a good retirement year, or you don't qualify that year for retirement, HPLRP, Special Pay, and all sorts of other stuff. You can do a google search to find out how many days you need to do to qualify for a "good year."
What is the estimated promotion timeline in that period? What is it contingent on beyond just doing my job and duration of service?
There needs to be an available slot at a particular rank for a particular job in your state. That's not usually a problem for docs for the first few promotions. I believe time-in-grade in the Guard for promotion to Major is a minimum of four years. Not sure beyond that.

Anybody have any info from recruiters on whether the ASR program is likely to continue through the next couple of years? I am very interested but won't be applying to med school until entering class 2012. Thanks.

Anybody have any info from recruiters on whether the ASR program is likely to continue through the next couple of years? I am very interested but won't be applying to med school until entering class 2012. Thanks.
On the Military Medicine homepage, there's a whole thread on ASR entitled "Army National Guard's new Med student program details". If you go to the last few pages, it discusses the latest on ASR.

The net of it is that it's been cancelled until further notice. It was only scheduled originally for three years and this was its third year. Some folks are holding out hope it will return, but there's been no announcement as such.

Hey everyone, thanks for this thread! I just got done getting the initial paperwork done so I can get a physical later this month.

Everything was pretty expected, except in the past I received a laceration on my arm that had to be stitched up (and left a significant scar of about 8-10 cm long) and a benign mole removed on my back as a preventative procedure. No functional deficits, or otherwise, as a result - what's the chance of either of these things being an issue going forward?

Beyond that I'm squeaky clean with no chronic diseases or major injuries. But still I had to be considered a "dirty pre-screen" and fill out a medical statement explaining these circumstances in detail.

Anyone want to talk about the physical process and what to expect?

Hey everyone, thanks for this thread! I just got done getting the initial paperwork done so I can get a physical later this month.
Good stuff, and congratulations.
Everything was pretty expected, except in the past I received a laceration on my arm that had to be stitched up (and left a significant scar of about 8-10 cm long) and a benign mole removed on my back as a preventative procedure. No functional deficits, or otherwise, as a result - what's the chance of either of these things being an issue going forward?
Very little. Assuming you fessed up to both in your initial paperwork, you probably won't even require waivers. Almost definitely not for the arm lac. Sometimes they can be funky about derm stuff, but a benign mole shouldn't DQ you.
Beyond that I'm squeaky clean with no chronic diseases or major injuries. But still I had to be considered a "dirty pre-screen" and fill out a medical statement explaining these circumstances in detail.
Are you talking about the explanation box after the checklist that everyone fills in? Or did your recruiter give you a different form? I haven't seen that, and I had a few things requiring waivers.
Anyone want to talk about the physical process and what to expect?
It's relatively painless. Typical physical stuff. Height/weight. BP. Hearing, vision. They have a series of exercises you do as a group of about 10 at a time, looking for skeletal abnormalities (drop to your knees, waddle on your knees, waddle in a crouch, wave your arms around, etc.). Then a 1:1 with a doc who looks you over and listens to heart/lungs. It's a lot of hurry up and wait.

Good stuff, and congratulations.

Are you talking about the explanation box after the checklist that everyone fills in? Or did your recruiter give you a different form? I haven't seen that, and I had a few things requiring waivers.

No, they had me write up and sign some generally blank form that was just a free form explanation. It seemed like something that might have been for my particularly base I'm going to do MEPS stuff at. I don't really know. I basically just wrote out "On this date X happened, Y was the treatment, it is fully resolved and I have no deficits in function, sensation, or otherwise regarding the original pathology or treatment."

It's relatively painless. Typical physical stuff. Height/weight. BP. Hearing, vision. They have a series of exercises you do as a group of about 10 at a time, looking for skeletal abnormalities (drop to your knees, waddle on your knees, waddle in a crouch, wave your arms around, etc.). Then a 1:1 with a doc who looks you over and listens to heart/lungs. It's a lot of hurry up and wait.

Thanks for this. I see everyone online dreading a "duck walk". I lift three times a week and run 2-3 times a week....and now some crazy ass waddle I've never done has me wondering wtf I'm in for haha. Can you post a video that shows what the "duck walk" is??? I see a few variations on youtube, but don't know what they are going to have me do.

I've got slightly "poppy" knees, I have since I was a kid. No pain, no burning, no swelling, no problem lifting and running. But I'd like to make sure I can do whatever this thing is now :) I won't be DQ'd for my knees making a popping noise with no functional problem, right?

I see everyone online dreading a "duck walk". I lift three times a week and run 2-3 times a week....and now some crazy ass waddle I've never done has me wondering wtf I'm in for haha. Can you post a video that shows what the "duck walk" is??? I see a few variations on youtube, but don't know what they are going to have me do.

I've got slightly "poppy" knees, I have since I was a kid. No pain, no burning, no swelling, no problem lifting and running. But I'd like to make sure I can do whatever this thing is now :) I won't be DQ'd for my knees making a popping noise with no functional problem, right?
You'll be fine. I have an old knee injury I needed to get waived and still passed it with flying colors. The duck walk is basically you crouched down like a catcher playing baseball and then walking about five feet like that without coming out of the crouch.

It's much ado about nothing. My knees pop and I have cartilage crunching every time I stoop and I was fine. They're not looking for pretty or quiet, they're making sure you're not functionally crippled.

Cool deal. Thanks for everything. My physical isn't until the end of the month (busy MS3 here) so I'll report back my progress later for anyone else looking to follow my path.

Cool deal. Thanks for everything. My physical isn't until the end of the month (busy MS3 here) so I'll report back my progress later for anyone else looking to follow my path.

I did MEPS a few months back, I'm in the LONG paperwork phase right now, still waiting to hear if ASR is even coming back. The physical is nothing to worry about, it takes all day, but they aren't actually that intense about stuff. When you do the "duck walk," there is usually like 10 other people in the room with you for all those exercises so they don't care if your knees pop or anything they are just basically watching to make sure you don't fall over...

It is a long day, a lot of hurry up and wait, but the good thing is that after you're done with MEPS, there's even more waiting on the paperwork end of things. I was trying to get everything taken care of before I start classes up at the end of August, but it's been several months and I don't think I've gotten very far....

Are you signing up hoping for ASR to come back or are you doing MDSSP or something else?

Good luck!!

Are you signing up hoping for ASR to come back or are you doing MDSSP or something else?

Good luck!!

Physical at the end of the month.
Paperwork and everything through boards won't happen until after October. You can wait for ASR to come back forever, but I''ve got a timeline that overlaps the new funding year. If it's not being talking about coming down the pike, I'm just going to have to live with missing my chance to sign up (dammit I would have immediately.)

I've discussed with my recruiter that if ASR comes back, we are pulling all of my paperwork and restarting anything to go that route.

Frankly though, I'm not counting on that happening and the plan is MDSSP finishing out med school + STRAP in residency.

Slightly related.....
So I got thrown a curve today while reading online. The recruiter that got all my initial paperwork for MEPS together is NOT my medical recruiter. He's a normal guy just helping get some prelim. paperwork done. He didn't ask me about drug usage. I read online that I will be asked at MEPS. I ate a marijuana brownie with some friends TEN YEARS ago but don't want to lie and perjure myself. I know that nothing would come of me keeping my mouth shut about that now, but I'm concerned down the line if I applied for any gov't positions that do more thorough family and friend interviews (my friend is a cop for a competitive police department and they came talking to every childhood friend they could come up with :eek: Asked me all about his history,etc)

So, my plan is just to be honest about it and roll the dice on my stupidity. I've never even smoked a damn cigarette. So what now? Do they need docs enough that I'll get a waiver for this? Or am I out?

So I got thrown a curve today while reading online. The recruiter that got all my initial paperwork for MEPS together is NOT my medical recruiter. He's a normal guy just helping get some prelim. paperwork done. He didn't ask me about drug usage. I read online that I will be asked at MEPS. I ate a marijuana brownie with some friends TEN YEARS ago but don't want to lie and perjure myself.
One marijuana brownie 10 years ago will not keep you out of the military. Lying about it before swearing in or down the road will.

You should have filled out a big fat AMEDD word file that's about 40 pages long that asks you all sorts of questions about where you lived, your job history, family, etc. It's the basis of your background check. Did you fill this out? If so, it asked you if you used drugs and you had the opportunity to explain. If not, you'll be filling it out soon and you can explain then.

In fact, if you didn't fill that out, you probably didn't fill out any forms that ask you about drug history, correct? The doc will ask you during your physical. Just tell the truth. It was once, it was 10 years ago, it was marijuana, and you haven't done it again. This shouldn't require a waiver.

You need to speak to an AMEDD recruiter ASAP though. Incorrect forms and incomplete paperwork could necessitate a repeat visit to MEPS and delay your commissioning. God bless the non-AMEDD recruiters, but they know about as much about AMEDD as we do about line Army.

One marijuana brownie 10 years ago will not keep you out of the military. Lying about it before swearing in or down the road will.

That was my understanding. I would rather not have this hanging over my head trying to sneak around. It's not in my nature.

You should have filled out a big fat AMEDD word file that's about 40 pages long that asks you all sorts of questions about where you lived, your job history, family, etc. It's the basis of your background check. Did you fill this out? If so, it asked you if you used drugs and you had the opportunity to explain. If not, you'll be filling it out soon and you can explain then.
I have not filled this out. This is on the docket this coming week. I was working with the non-AMEDD recruiter to help my AMEDD recruiter since he isn't local to me, just to get me through the MEPS stuff.

In fact, if you didn't fill that out, you probably didn't fill out any forms that ask you about drug history, correct? The doc will ask you during your physical. Just tell the truth. It was once, it was 10 years ago, it was marijuana, and you haven't done it again. This shouldn't require a waiver.
Correct, I did not. I just know it's on the horizon and am trying to anticipate what to expect. Only forms so far are pre-screening for MEPS. My state's board doesn't meet this month, so we are piecing a lot of this together to work my busy school schedule since the clock isn't ticking as fast as usual.

Again correct. Just a dumb move on my part a long time ago while at a concert with friends.

You need to speak to an AMEDD recruiter ASAP though. Incorrect forms and incomplete paperwork could necessitate a repeat visit to MEPS and delay your commissioning. God bless the non-AMEDD recruiters, but they know about as much about AMEDD as we do about line Army.
Already have that covered. Thank you are the advice and I will make sure everything is on the table.

Yes, I understand about the non-AMEDD recruiter.

I had to use a non-AMEDD recruiter to do my MEPS stuff, that's how they did it in Texas at least. I contacted the AMEDD recruiter and he told me that a local regular recruiter would deal with getting me through MEPS and he sent the regular recruiter the paperwork that they needed me to do for a Direct Commission Physical....everything with that worked out fine and I just let my AMEDD recruiter know once I finished MEPS so he could get my paperwork.

If ASR doesn't come back, I was thinking of just signing up and then taking MDSSP for the last two years of Med School so that my payoff for MDSSP would overlap with the residual 4 years of my contract and I would be finished by the time I finish residency....with the option of remaining in the Guard if I felt like it instead of being forced to stay.

I asked the AMEDD recruiter for documentation showing the terms we discussed, and I was told there isn't one document that contains everything. The recruiter sent me a copy of AR Form 3574, but it doesn't mention anything about the Medical Corps, non-deployable status, state-specific tuition reimbursement payback terms (okay, I wouldn't expect the state stuff to be included), etc. At what point do new ARNG do soon to be appointed ARNG MSC officers see this information in writing, and does anyone know the specific documents I should request?

I had to use a non-AMEDD recruiter to do my MEPS stuff, that's how they did it in Texas at least. I contacted the AMEDD recruiter and he told me that a local regular recruiter would deal with getting me through MEPS and he sent the regular recruiter the paperwork that they needed me to do for a Direct Commission Physical....everything with that worked out fine and I just let my AMEDD recruiter know once I finished MEPS so he could get my paperwork.
Interesting. I haven't heard that workflow before. Was the AMEDD recruiter still your point-of-contact about the program itself and joining the Guard in MSC?

I asked the AMEDD recruiter for documentation showing the terms we discussed, and I was told there isn't one document that contains everything.
Sigh... Ask him for a copy of the 10 December 2009 memo entitled: "Implementation Guidance for Army National Guard (ARNG) Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Officer Incentive Programs for FY 10-11"
This lists out each of the incentive programs (MDSSP, ASR, STRAP, HPLRP, Special Pay, etc.) and all the rules and terms.
The recruiter sent me a copy of AR Form 3574, but it doesn't mention anything about the Medical Corps, non-deployable status,
There are a bunch of memos about the non-deployable status for AMEDD. Ask him for something about that specifically. The most recent that I have is a 02 October 2003 memo entitled: "Army Medical Department Reserve Components' 90-Day Rotation Policy" Again, you don't need this particular one. There are a bunch.
state-specific tuition reimbursement payback terms (okay, I wouldn't expect the state stuff to be included), etc.
Don't know where you'd find that. It's very state-specific and my state offers nossink.
At what point do new ARNG do soon to be appointed ARNG MSC officers see this information in writing, and does anyone know the specific documents I should request?
Request the ones above. That's about as much detail as you're going to find. An AMEDD recruiter should have that on-hand. If he doesn't (e.g.: if he's new), he should be able to get them from a colleague to give to you.

Best of luck...

Hi all, I have a CAC reader but can't get it to work with my mac. I read some lengthy descriptions online of flashing the device first but didn't have the attention span to get through it. Anybody have any luck logging on using a CAC on a mac? Or if you're in miami and have access to a computer with a working one I could borrow for a hot minute PM me.

Hi all, I have a CAC reader but can't get it to work with my mac. I read some lengthy descriptions online of flashing the device first but didn't have the attention span to get through it. Anybody have any luck logging on using a CAC on a mac? Or if you're in miami and have access to a computer with a working one I could borrow for a hot minute PM me.

Do people north of I-10 say "hot minute"? I hadn't heard this until I ventured south. And how funny is CAC on a Mac, I mean really?

Try Safari. Don't think I had any probs once I used it.

Hello everyone,

I am a resident of NJ and go to med school in NJ. Can someone please pm me with the contact info for my ARNG AMEDD recruiter?

Thank you.

Thread is looking dead so I thought I would post an overdue update that I was cleared by MEPS.now on to more paperwork and review boards! One step closer since my last posting!

By the way guys -

I spoke with my recruiter a week ago and he said that he has gotten confirmation that ASR will not be taking new applicants, but that they are working on developing a replacement program that will be for those already in the Guard. He said he didn't want to "sell" that program to me yet because he hasn't seen any written details about it yet....

I'm still considering just comissioning and taking drill pay for the first 2 years of school, then MDSSP during 3rd and 4th year and then drill pay again for residency unless they come up with a similar ASR program that won't increase my committment. So that's what I've heard so far, as with everything in the Army, take it with a grain of salt.....

I spoke with my recruiter a week ago and he said that he has gotten confirmation that ASR will not be taking new applicants, but that they are working on developing a replacement program that will be for those already in the Guard. He said he didn't want to "sell" that program to me yet because he hasn't seen any written details about it yet....
Yeah, that rumor went around last year when there was rumor of the program being suspended. But there hasn't been any written notice about it at all.

One thing to keep in mind is this: the Guard, since canceling ASR, has made a pretty concerted effort to go after providers (NPs, PAs, and physicians). For a lot of states, through ASR they have a great pipeline for physicians in 4-8 years time when you consider the typical (albeit slow) rate of recruitment that MDSSP already provides. But almost all states right now are at a critical shortage of physicians NOW.

So a lot of the recruiting events have been targeting physician, PA, and NP conferences. A lot of the budget (much more accurate a temperature gauge than rumors has been allocated to loan repayment (jumping from $50K to $120K since ASR ended, with the Reserves going up to $250K and the Guard possibly to follow suit).

There's still talk of a post-ASR program, but the fact is that right now there's a much more mission critical shortage of providers than there is of medical students. So I'd keep my fingers crossed for a new med student recruitment program, but I have a hunch for the next few years more focus will be paid on actual doctors. Just my $0.02....

I'm still considering just comissioning and taking drill pay for the first 2 years of school, then MDSSP during 3rd and 4th year and then drill pay again for residency unless they come up with a similar ASR program that won't increase my committment.
Yeah, I know a lot of people talking about doing just that. It's a good to clear an 8 year commitment by the time you finish most residencies and can decide if you want to stay in the Guard to make it a career or not. By then, odds are very good the loan repayment option will make you want to stay in for a few more years to pay for medical school.

New to the thread. Just joined the IL guard in August. Does anyone know what benefits I should be applying to? I just got my CAC card. I'm getting Tricare and applying for the $4,500 federal tuition assistance (there is currently no funding for this fiscal year). Anything else I should be doing? Thanks so much.

Stupid question: If you join the National Guard in any capacity, you have to commit for 8 years?

So the 3 year, 120,000 loan repayment incentive for practicing physicians in certain specialties would be the first 3 years of an 8 year commitment? Thus, the attending would only receive drill pay for years 4-8?

The 120,000 is taxed at what rate? Normal income rates? I thought somebody said that the loan repayment can be taxed under more favorable rates.

Thanks.

Yeah, I know a lot of people talking about doing just that. It's a good to clear an 8 year commitment by the time you finish most residencies and can decide if you want to stay in the Guard to make it a career or not. By then, odds are very good the loan repayment option will make you want to stay in for a few more years to pay for medical school.

New to the thread. Just joined the IL guard in August. Does anyone know what benefits I should be applying to?
Are you still pre-med? Illinois gives free college tuition to any state supported college or university. Not sure how that applies to medical school, but I'd definitely be on the horn...

Stupid question: If you join the National Guard in any capacity, you have to commit for 8 years?
Yes. All folks who join the military commit to 8 years. How much of that is active or part-time drill status depends on your contract.
So the 3 year, 120,000 loan repayment incentive for practicing physicians in certain specialties would be the first 3 years of an 8 year commitment? Thus, the attending would only receive drill pay for years 4-8?
For Guard officers, you have 6 years of drilling status as part of your 8 year contract. So if you joined and took the 3 years of loan repayment, you'd take it for three years, then still owe 3 more years of drilling. For the second three years of drilling, most eligible folks take Special Pay, which is $25K per year.
The 120,000 is taxed at what rate? Normal income rates? I thought somebody said that the loan repayment can be taxed under more favorable rates.
The loan repayment thing is weird. It's not taxed directly from it, but you assume the tax burden from the $40K. So if you were earning $100K, you'd pay federal taxes as if you earned $140K. My understanding is that this means you're not paying a lot of the SDI, SSI, etc. on it, but do owe more for the federal income tax. I'd speak to a recruiter for specifics. It's a long way off for most of us.

So I've been reading this post extensively but am getting lost in the details and acronyms despite being a former Marine. I am a PGY-1 in Emergency Medicine and currently applying for the FAP with the Navy. Before I do the deed I want to consider all of my options.

So can I...

take the STRAP for my three years of residency ($2K/month) and in return owe the ARNG 6 years. Then also take the HPLRP as a PGY-2 and PGY-3 then owe them another 2 years for a total of 8 years drilling or do I serve those HPLRP commitment years concurrently with my STRAP payback?

And for this I just need to drill once a month and expect to be deployed boots on the ground for 90 days as frequently as 18 months apart?

Did I get that all right?

If I remember correctly, the military budget should have/ will come out this month. I know the future of ASR along with other potentially similar programs is contingent on that budget.
Anyone have any new information now that it's October?

If I remember correctly, the military budget should have/ will come out this month. I know the future of ASR along with other potentially similar programs is contingent on that budget.
Anyone have any new information now that it's October?

I heard that ASR (new slots) was not in this years budget. We'll see if anything is put out by the NGB, but that is how it stands for now.

I'm at BOLC now and this was raised with a high ranking National Guard rep discussing Guard AMEDD recruitment programs. ASR was not on her radar and didn't appear to be particularly well thought of. The rep did not know of any plans to resurrect ASR and said if it ever was in the future, you can rest assured that they would require an obligation phase after the monies phase, like MDSSP or STRAP. The idea of having such a huge payment that could have individuals finish their obligation before becoming board certified seemed to be unpopular.

So current word from as close to the horses mouth as I'm going to get seems to be that ASR is not going to be coming back at any point soon enough to be of interest to most reading this board, and if it ever did, it would likely have a payout phase followed by a 2:1 (or more) obligation paid out post-med school or residency.

Latest funds seem to be paid (wisely, in my opinion) toward boad-certified physician recruitment, rather than focusing on med students or even residents.