Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you take HPLR once you are done with residency if you do STRAP?
Yes. In fact, most folks take HPLRP after residency. Only if you're on STRAP can you start taking HPLRP in residency, beginning in your PGY-3 year.
My understanding based on 11(d) on page 11 from "Implementation Guidance for ARNG AMEDD Officer Incentive Programs for FY 10-11" is that you can take it during residency, but not after.
Nope. The paragraph you're noting is just saying that if you take HPLRP for two years, and the tail end of that two years ends two months after your residency does, you extend your STRAP obligation by two months. You are not paying back STRAP obligation while you're in residency.

Another example, say you do a four year residency and take STRAP all four years. You'll owe 8 years in drilling time after you're done with residency. Now lets say you take HPLRP for PGY-3 and PGY-4. As soon as you finish residency, instead of taking a third and final year of HPLRP, you start payback for your 8 years. Once you're done, you can take your final year of HPLRP.

Make sense?
In the example used on the page, you actually end up adding an additional year onto the payback because you have to extend STRAP by 3 months and 12 days in order to get your payout (which is 1 year after signing on for HPLR).
No, if you read the paragraph again, you'll see that since their anniversary date for HPLRP is 3 months, 12 days after residency ends, you extend your STRAP payback by 3 months, 12 days, since you aren't paying back STRAP when you're on HPLRP.

Members don't see this ad.

Question about HPLRP with STRAP:

Can you take HPLR once you are done with residency if you do STRAP? My understanding based on 11(d) on page 11 from "Implementation Guidance for ARNG AMEDD Officer Incentive Programs for FY 10-11" is that you can take it during residency, but not after. In the example used on the page, you actually end up adding an additional year onto the payback because you have to extend STRAP by 3 months and 12 days in order to get your payout (which is 1 year after signing on for HPLR).

Am I missing something?

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/HR...D Officer Incentive Programs for FY 10-11.pdf

It seems like each time I read something about this or am told something it doesn't really fit with the way I thought I understood it. It's confusing. However there's a couple guys on here who can answer this with confidence, they'll get around to reading this eventually.

Yes. In fact, most folks take HPLRP after residency. Only if you're on STRAP can you start taking HPLRP in residency, beginning in your PGY-3 year.

Nope. The paragraph you're noting is just saying that if you take HPLRP for two years, and the tail end of that two years ends two months after your residency does, you extend your STRAP obligation by two months. You are not paying back STRAP obligation while you're in residency.

Another example, say you do a four year residency and take STRAP all four years. You'll owe 8 years in drilling time after you're done with residency. Now lets say you take HPLRP for PGY-3 and PGY-4. As soon as you finish residency, instead of taking a third and final year of HPLRP, you start payback for your 8 years. Once you're done, you can take your final year of HPLRP.

Make sense?

No, if you read the paragraph again, you'll see that since their anniversary date for HPLRP is 3 months, 12 days after residency ends, you extend your STRAP payback by 3 months, 12 days, since you aren't paying back STRAP when you're on HPLRP.

So, can I take HPLRP in R3 year and then my first two years out of residency (followed by STRAP payback), or do I have to take the R3 year, then pay off STRAP, then take my final two years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Website appears to be back up today, but I still can't actually log in. Not sure if it's an issue on my side or the their side...

I'm able to log in.

Since we're on the topic: I've been trying to determine how/if my commitment will/has changed due to taking FTA. Per the language of the Statement of Understanding and a thorough search of the thread, it seems that I'll owe an additional 4 years after I stop receiving FTA. Hypothetically, if I graduate in May 2013, my MSO is up in September 2017, and my MDSSP time is up sometime around 2020, is there any potential downside (i.e. extended term of service even if I want out) to taking FTA? The SoA language suggests no, but has anyone actually had any experience with this yet?

Last edited:
I'm able to log in.

Since we're on the topic: I've been trying to determine how/if my commitment will/has changed due to taking FTA. Per the language of the Statement of Understanding and a thorough search of the thread, it seems that I'll owe an additional 4 years after I stop receiving FTA. Hypothetically, if I graduate in May 2013, my MSO is up in September 2017, and my MDSSP time is up sometime around 2020, is there any potential downside (i.e. extended term of service even if I want out) to taking FTA? The SoA language suggests no, but has anyone actually had any experience with this yet?

If you take FTA and you "get out" before 4 years after the last day of class for the semester in which you received FTA, you'll get a bill and you'll have to pay a prorated amount back (based on how much time you served after receiving benefits). Ex- you get 4500, spend two more years in, decide to get out. they send you a bill for 2250.

If you stay in, you're entitled to the benefit. Accepting the benefit does not obligate you to serve any longer.

If you take FTA and you "get out" before 4 years after the last day of class for the semester in which you received FTA, you'll get a bill and you'll have to pay a prorated amount back (based on how much time you served after receiving benefits). Ex- you get 4500, spend two more years in, decide to get out. they send you a bill for 2250.

If you stay in, you're entitled to the benefit. Accepting the benefit does not obligate you to serve any longer.

Wasn't aware this is how it's handled. Thanks.

So, can I take HPLRP in R3 year and then my first two years out of residency (followed by STRAP payback), or do I have to take the R3 year, then pay off STRAP, then take my final two years?
(sorry, didn't see this...)

You can take HPLRP in R3+, but once you finish residency, you start paying back STRAP. You can resume HPLRP (assuming you still have years of HPLRP remaining, meaning you're not in some 6 year neurosurg residency) after you pay back your STRAP commitment.

Hypothetically, if I graduate in May 2013, my MSO is up in September 2017, and my MDSSP time is up sometime around 2020, is there any potential downside (i.e. extended term of service even if I want out) to taking FTA? The SoA language suggests no, but has anyone actually had any experience with this yet?
No downside in this case. And iatros is right about payback if you get out early for some reason.

Hi everyone. I am an MS3 that is currently awaiting security clearance and the various boards. I have been to MEPS and got all my paperwork into the AMEDD office. Now the waiting game.

I am hoping to be cleared and sworn before May-2011 so that I can be in a full year before my graduation of May-2012. I think this will happen (LOL).

1> I am now in the dilemma of setting up my MS4 year and when to do OBLC. 28 days devoted? This would have been easy if I had signed up as an MS1. But now what?
Are the date similar each year?
This years dates: http://www.usarc.army.mil/APMC/tng_education.htm
Anyone know 2010 and 2009 dates? Are they usually about the same?
The April time period would work great at the end of my MS4 year, but I am concerned that the dates will be very different in 2012 and I'll end up not fitting in before residency.

2> If I don't fit this in before residency, I have seen that I have two years to complete with the likliehood of a one year extension granted - 3 years total to go from commissioning date. However, I have seen HPSP people talking about never going and that not being a huge issue. Or they go after residency to an extended version. What is the reality here?? How do STRAP recieving residents meet this requirement? I am concerned my Army role is going to change from a positive on my residency applications to a liability due to this requirement.

Please give me any insight on this that you can.Thanks

Anyone heard anything else about Post-9/11 GIBill for ASRs? I talked the vet services people at my school, and they weren't much help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything else about Post-9/11 GIBill for ASRs? I talked the vet services people at my school, and they weren't much help.
According to this, ASRs are now eligible. A bill that expanded benefits to Active Service performed by National Guardsman under title 32 orders goes into effect on October, 2011.

I've talked to our Education folks in my state National Guard. They're not saying anything about whether or not we qualify, since it doesn't even go into effect for 9 months. But according to the law, we should qualify. It's a huge perk.

1> I am now in the dilemma of setting up my MS4 year and when to do OBLC. 28 days devoted? This would have been easy if I had signed up as an MS1. But now what?
Are the date similar each year?
This years dates: http://www.usarc.army.mil/APMC/tng_education.htm
Anyone know 2010 and 2009 dates? Are they usually about the same?
The April time period would work great at the end of my MS4 year, but I am concerned that the dates will be very different in 2012 and I'll end up not fitting in before residency.
Those dates look similar to last year, so they might be similar to next year. They might be off by a couple weeks here or there.

As for when to do it, you can't really do it between November and January due to interviews. Before then might be dicey, as you'll probably want to do away rotations and audition rotations or at least do rotations in your field to get more LORs. So anytime after January would probably work fine. You'll be burnt by then anyway and BOLC is definitely low-mental gymnastics.
2> If I don't fit this in before residency, I have seen that I have two years to complete with the likliehood of a one year extension granted - 3 years total to go from commissioning date.
You have two years from commissioning, not two years from graduating. So you'll need to go before completing residency. You DO NOT want to try to do it during residency. That would be painful. You also DO NOT want to do a post-residency long course.
I am concerned my Army role is going to change from a positive on my residency applications to a liability due to this requirement.
If you don't take care of BOLC during med school and have to tell residency directors that you have a monthly commitment to schedule around PLUS a 3-1/2 week course you MUST attend during intern year that's only offered six or so times a year, then, yeah, it will be viewed as a liability.

****ing hell.
I am going to do what I can to knock this out asap, but the only times that might work are the april ones.my school does required didactics for a month in march ending first week of april. I will basically be done for the year by april 5. I need to find out of the BOLC has ever started that soon.

What do residents who take STRAP do?
I don't want to take a longer course either, but I also don't want to mess up my residency.

Just emailed my dean to see if I can do the course as a 4th year elective, thus fixing everything. Hell, we let students take 4 weeks of credit to do international rotations that they setup. Seems I should be able to do this without having to burn 4 weeks of vacation that I need for interviews

Last edited:
Well that settles that. I am not going to me commissioning by May like I was expecting.
Spoke with my dean and its a no go on me doing OBLC as an elective. And since I don't know enough about my MS4 year schedule I'll miss the May date.

Going to try to commission in the fall when FY2012 OBLC dates are announced and that I 100% have time at the end of MS4 year. I'll get a whopping 6 months of MDSSP and then guess I can start thinking about STRAP after intern year (which I was already considering). At this time I'll know for sure I have free time left at the end of MS4 to put toward OBLC.

Disappointing, but I can't risk signing in the next month or two only to find out I screw up OBLC, graduation, or residency. Emailed my recruiter in case there are other options, but I get the feeling they aren't going to be too happy :-/

Man, I should have known about ASR as an MS1...

I received an e-mail today saying that the NGB Education Managers will be meeting with DoD and VA officials to confirm that we're eligible...
Good God, the rumor mill works fast. I just heard the same thing today, albeit verbal. Fingers tightly crossed, folks, this one is a doozy...

I went to BOLC as a 4th year. Your school may be different but we have a couple longitudinal electives we can do that allow you to take off blocks. I went in Nov and did my interviews in December.

BTW, the November class is very nice since it's not 100+ degrees in Texas.

Good God, the rumor mill works fast. I just heard the same thing today, albeit verbal. Fingers tightly crossed, folks, this one is a doozy...

I'm finally approaching a commission. I completed my MEPS about a month ago and have a meeting with the state surgeon this weekend. Hopefully, all goes according to plan.

NDY, could you elaborate on what this post 9/11 GI bill is going to do for ARNG medical students? Thanks.

BTW, the November class is very nice since it's not 100+ degrees in Texas.
Ditto this. I went Sept/Oct and it was a mix of heat/cold, neither of which was too bad. Summer can suck.

I'm finally approaching a commission. I completed my MEPS about a month ago and have a meeting with the state surgeon this weekend. Hopefully, all goes according to plan.
Good luck with things...
NDY, could you elaborate on what this post 9/11 GI bill is going to do for ARNG medical students? Thanks.
According to the new law signed a few weeks ago, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is being extended to Title 32 soldiers. There's also a specific clause that mentions Title 32 orders for recruiting. The NGB is meeting to decide if we're eligible or not with the VA and DoD.

If we are eligible, it would mean that you could use the GI Bill for your spouse or kids (once you are in or committed to 10 years of service) or use it yourself.

Using it yourself in residency would be the best bet for most and you can use it for up to 3 years. You would be eligible for up to $1K for books and supplies. You would also receive an E-5 BAH while in residency. It's tax free and varies by zip code. In California maxes between $1,600-$2,500/month. The only caveat is that you have to be at a VA-recognized "Institute of Higher Learning." That's fine for any academic residency, it's a problem if you do the Backwater County Clinic Family Practice residency.

Anyway, right now it's all up in the air, but we'll all keep folks posted as we hear more.

What do residents who take STRAP do?
I don't want to take a longer course either, but I also don't want to mess residency.

from what I've read/been told is that you have to complete bolc within 36 months of finishing residency if you are a strap participant.

Reference AR 140-10 7-5
"remove officers who fail to complete:
1) officer basic course -
(b) within 36 months of direct appointment, except for STRAP participants who must complete the basic officer course within 36 months after completion of their specialized training."

Close to making a call on MDSSP ...

ASR is NOT taking new applicants right now, is that correct?

Any status update on ASR would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Close to making a call on MDSSP ...

Correct, probably won't come back either.

I'm am an M1 and commissioned in summer 2010. I am signed up for OBLC this summer, but am leaning toward pursuing an opportunity that I am really interested in instead of attending training. Should I take OBLC this summer (if it is true that I need to take the course two years after commissioning) or could i postpone it during elective time during 3rd or 4th year?

Thanks for everyone's questions and responses on this this thread. It really helped out with the whole commissioning process.

Any status update on ASR would be appreciated.
Agree with EMH. ASR is dead, gone, not to return. When news of its passing first broke, there were lots of rumors of it coming back, returning in a new iteration, being canceled because of a newer/better program, etc. All those rumors turned to smoke and dried up. No one is talking about ASR anymore or any replacement program.

The Reserve/Guard right now seems content MDSSP for med students, STRAP for residents, and Special Pay/HPLRP for BC/BE physicans. Most recent changes have been in bumping up HPLRP. My guess is that any new monies (?!??!) would be funneled at getting actual/useful physicians to join, not recruiting med students or residents.

I'm am an M1 and commissioned in summer 2010. I am signed up for OBLC this summer, but am leaning toward pursuing an opportunity that I am really interested in instead of attending training. Should I take OBLC this summer (if it is true that I need to take the course two years after commissioning) or could i postpone it during elective time during 3rd or 4th year?
Think long and hard on this. Taking BOLC during the summer between MS1 and MS2 is perfect timing. You're done with your first year of med school and can use a mental vacation. Then you dive into second year.

Consider your alternatives:
  • You can't take it during MS 2, due to scheduling.
  • You have the summer between MS2 and MS3. Worst possible time to take it as you'll need every free moment to study for your Step 1.
  • You are required to complete BOLC within 2 years of commissioning. Getting a waiver for an additional year isn't hard, but you need to commit to a date you'll be taking the course that comes before you hit the 3 year mark, which is a firm deadline.
  • You have all of third year to do this. Most schools have 4 week rotations during third year, which are tightly regulated and non-flexible. Do you have 8 weeks of elective at your school? Because odds are about 50/50 that the dates for BOLC will straddle two 4 week blocks.
  • The other problem with the above bullet is that most schools provide those elective blocks because they're extremely important for some specialties. What happens if you're interested in radiology or anesthesiology or any number of specialties that aren't offered as typical required electives? If you're busy doing BOLC during this time, you'll only have an elective or two to do these electives as a new 4th year, decide you like the field, and scramble to get LORs.
I'm obviously prejudiced here, but I think not taking BOLC between MS1/MS2 would be a mistake. Taking it any later has the potential to bite you in the okole.

Hello, I am currently an ASR and have a question for anyone who has graduated medical school and obtained a residency program as an ASR. This might have been discussed somewhere in this gigantic forum but I can't make it through all 50 pages of it!!! If you meet the above criteria or know someone who has, did you have any problems obtaining a residency? For example were program directors skeptical about your involvement in the guard as far as how it would work with scheduling and having to go to drills every now and then? I recently posted how I didn't think this would be a big deal, but I wanted some first hand experience from someone who has been there.

Also, if you have graduated as an ASR and obtained a residency in a different state did you elect to drill with your home state guard or transfer states? How often have you been drilling as a resident. A lot of questions here I know. Thanks in advance to anyone with info!!!

Anybody know if med students that are in the guard, but not in MDSSP or ASR, qualify for FLEX-training? I know it is more dependent on the unit, but it may make discussing this with my CO easier if it was a state-wide or federal policy.

Thanks!

Anybody know if med students that are in the guard, but not in MDSSP or ASR, qualify for FLEX-training? I know it is more dependent on the unit, but it may make discussing this with my CO easier if it was a state-wide or federal policy.
Technically, any med student in the Guard could qualify for Flexi-Training, but it will depend on the mood of your CO. ASR and MDSSP medical students are specifically in slots that don't have much function. If you're a calvary scout or some such, getting your CO to approve you coming in only once every 3 months is going to be a tough sell.

Flexi-Training is a federal policy. Covered under a 15 April 2008 memo entitled "Flexible Training for the Army National Guard Clinical Officers"

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I searched the last few
pages and didn't find anything.

Does anyone know if national guard funding for residency is similar to the typical military funding. In the sense that if someone is coming into residency from the Navy, Army, etc. their training is fully funded and doesn't come from the institutions GME. The reason I ask is because my residency program has been approved for an additional position by the ACGME. However our GME cannot provide the 100k-ish per year it costs to train a resident. We will need to fill this position with someone that has military funding. Would the national guard be able to provide this?

Also if anyone is interested and can meet the above requirements, please PM me. The position is for a PGY-2 in PM&R. Location mid-Atlantic/east coast.

Thanks

Does anyone know if national guard funding for residency is similar to the typical military funding. In the sense that if someone is coming into residency from the Navy, Army, etc. their training is fully funded and doesn't come from the institutions GME.
The Army, Navy and Air Force have their own residency programs. If they need people in excess of their training capacities, they can fund folks to attend civilian residencies.

The National Guard and Reserve does not train residents. You attend a civilian match. For many, this is one of the biggest strengths.
The reason I ask is because my residency program has been approved for an additional position by the ACGME. However our GME cannot provide the 100k-ish per year it costs to train a resident. We will need to fill this position with someone that has military funding. Would the national guard be able to provide this?
Nope.

Hello, I am currently an ASR and have a question for anyone who has graduated medical school and obtained a residency program as an ASR. This might have been discussed somewhere in this gigantic forum but I can't make it through all 50 pages of it!!! If you meet the above criteria or know someone who has, did you have any problems obtaining a residency? For example were program directors skeptical about your involvement in the guard as far as how it would work with scheduling and having to go to drills every now and then? I recently posted how I didn't think this would be a big deal, but I wanted some first hand experience from someone who has been there.

Also, if you have graduated as an ASR and obtained a residency in a different state did you elect to drill with your home state guard or transfer states? How often have you been drilling as a resident. A lot of questions here I know. Thanks in advance to anyone with info!!!

I'm finishing up my interviews for residency and I actually have the asr stuff on my app. The only question ive been asked is being protected from deployment during residency/ the whole flex thing. From what Ive seen its a positive, and can make you a unique applicant. No idea if it cost me any interviews.

I'm finishing up my interviews for residency and I actually have the asr stuff on my app. The only question ive been asked is being protected from deployment during residency/ the whole flex thing. From what Ive seen its a positive, and can make you a unique applicant. No idea if it cost me any interviews.

Hey thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I'm a 3rd year currently so I am thinking about applications and programs at this point. I also feel it would be a positive and am happy with my decision. However, I just wanted some first hand experience knowing what questions were asked and so forth. What specialty are you going into?

I think its impact during residency selection depends on two things: the strength of your application and the personalities involved.

For the most part, I think that it's viewed as a leadership extracurricular, but nothing jaw dropping. Just another bullet-point. Outside of that, it depends on the personality/background/politics of the interviewer. Out of 10 interviews, I think it only came up once, and that was in a negative light, as in "can you be deployed? How flexible is your drill schedule? Will it impact your ability to do our residency?" This was at a top program in my field that I think is known for being pretty liberal.

I read through many of the pages but didn't see this addressed, please point me in the right direction if already asked.

However, I'm about to start the process (still not sure whether army guard or air guard at this point) but I'm curious about the Army Guard's OBC training. Is there anything remotely enjoyable about it? I've heard tell of rifle qualifying and hand to hand training, are those just myths for us DC's?

I'm in Texas if that matters....

However, I'm about to start the process (still not sure whether army guard or air guard at this point) but I'm curious about the Army Guard's OBC training. Is there anything remotely enjoyable about it?
I'm in Texas if that matters....

I liked many parts of it. The training is interesting if you take it in the context for which it is meant. They are teaching you many things that you will hopefully never really have to do. (Fire a weapon at someone, lead a convoy down a road full of IEDs, survive/function in a chemical agent attack, etc.) It is interesting to say the least. Just keep an open mind.

There is a lot of down time in between training sessions (this seemed to be the biggest complaint when I was there). If you like to read/shoot the **** with people, then it could be fun.

I liked many parts of it. The training is interesting if you take it in the context for which it is meant. They are teaching you many things that you will hopefully never really have to do. (Fire a weapon at someone, lead a convoy down a road full of IEDs, survive/function in a chemical agent attack, etc.) It is interesting to say the least. Just keep an open mind.

There is a lot of down time in between training sessions (this seemed to be the biggest complaint when I was there). If you like to read/shoot the **** with people, then it could be fun.

Sounds fun to me. I'm surprised we get the opportunity to do rifle training and such. Definitely dont going the air force way, not even active duty.

Thanks for the response.

About a year and a half ago there was some talk in this thread about trying to take a year or two off from the ASR program to do research or complete a masters program. Has anyone heard of this happening or maybe even done this themselves?

About a year and a half ago there was some talk in this thread about trying to take a year or two off from the ASR program to do research or complete a masters program. Has anyone heard of this happening or maybe even done this themselves?
I know of someone that looked into it. He was told that he would be going off of ASR orders to do research and his ability to come back on would be "budget dependent." Since ASR no longer exists, I wouldn't go off ASR orders and expect to come back with any confidence.

Have any of you guys done OBLC at a time other than the summer between first and second year?

I'm almost done with first year and I already have research set up for the summer (plus I probably couldn't even get into one of the summer sessions if I tried, my paperwork won't be done for another month or so) and I'm trying to figure out when I can go to OBLC...I guess I could take some time off 4th year to go (my school probably won't give me credit for it). I'm just trying to make sure I'll have time to attend it at some point...

Also, I am currently in Texas, but I do not want to stay here for residency - have any of you guys switched to a different state for residency? Or did you decide to move but still drill with your current unit?

Have any of you guys done OBLC at a time other than the summer between first and second year?

I'm almost done with first year and I already have research set up for the summer (plus I probably couldn't even get into one of the summer sessions if I tried, my paperwork won't be done for another month or so) and I'm trying to figure out when I can go to OBLC...I guess I could take some time off 4th year to go (my school probably won't give me credit for it). I'm just trying to make sure I'll have time to attend it at some point...

Also, I am currently in Texas, but I do not want to stay here for residency - have any of you guys switched to a different state for residency? Or did you decide to move but still drill with your current unit?

I'm in the same boat, interested to hear answers to this question.

Although, why would you want to leave Texas at all? :)

Go back a page or two, it was recently discussed.

I know of someone that looked into it. He was told that he would be going off of ASR orders to do research and his ability to come back on would be "budget dependent." Since ASR no longer exists, I wouldn't go off ASR orders and expect to come back with any confidence.

So no worries about them trying to send you to branch training for another field and put you in deployable status?

So no worries about them trying to send you to branch training for another field and put you in deployable status?
No clue. That would be between you and your CO and state CoC. I'd do a careful read of what my new orders said.

In general, no, you will not get credit for it. Timing-wise, I lucked out and found an BOLC timeframe that roughly matched our rotation dates during 4th yr. When I graduated, I still had short hair and a nice tan line parallel to the ground on the bottom half of my head, which makes complete sense if you see someone in BDU's but in a suit is out of context.

I left my home state, but have just now cranked up the interstate transfer process due to some confusion. Unless you are going to do a prelim or transitional year in one state and then return, I believe you will have to IST because you will be gone from your unit more than 2yrs. As with anything, this requirement is probably state dependent, unit/CO dependent.

I did OBLC at the end of my second year right after taking step 1 boards. Our rotation schedule is set up so that in the 24 months of 3rd of 4th year we have 22 required rotations with an optional 2 months of vacation. I had to use one of those 2 months vacation to be able to attend OBLC. If I could do it over again I would rather have gone the summer after my 1st year but everything has worked out pretty well so I can't complain. Also, my school changes rotations on a monthly basis so that on the 1st day of the month you start a new rotation no matter what. I got lucky in that OBLC for me was July 1- July 26 and did not take run into another month. What I'm getting at is that it is possible if the OBLC schedule meshes well with your school schedule. Hope that helped.

Apologies if this is old news or has been posted previously in this forum, I was too lazy to search back more than 2 pages, but I just saw a memo from my CO that the loan repayment for Guard doctors just went up to 250k (from 120k). Just in case it's not old news, thought it would be interesting for some people. My understanding is it's still offered in increments of 40k every year (don't ask me how 40k x 6 years = 250k), and if you are taking STRAP you are eligible for your first payment your last year of residency, if you are not taking STRAP then you are eligible your first year after residency, and it does delay your payback of any commitment for MDSSP or STRAP. I trust the memo, as my CO has never steered me wrong before, but sorry, I don't have a copy of it, so I would just ask for something in writing from your CO or recruiter if you want more info or want to check me on anything I said.