Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just saw a memo from my CO that the loan repayment for Guard doctors just went up to 250k (from 120k).
The Reserve bumped theirs up to that last year so we've been waiting for it for the Guard, but most folks figured it wouldn't go up until October (when the new fiscal year started). Just heard confirmation of the upping of the HPLRP via AKO. Looks legit, but it went up to $240K, not $250K.
My understanding is it's still offered in increments of 40k every year (don't ask me how 40k x 6 years = 250k), and if you are taking STRAP you are eligible for your first payment your last year of residency, if you are not taking STRAP then you are eligible your first year after residency, and it does delay your payback of any commitment for MDSSP or STRAP.
Correct about $40K/year.

If you take STRAP, you can take it your PGY-3 year and above. So, yes, you can take it in your final year if you're in primary care. If you go into a five year residency, you can take it for your final three years.

And yes, you can not take HPLRP while paying back obligations to MDSSP or STRAP. You can take it while paying back your 8 year ASR MSO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone post or forward me a a current copy of the memo regarding the Flex-training policy? All I found online was this: dmna.state.ny.us/arng/ocs/Flex_Training.pdf.

However this was from a few years ago, so it is kinda useless.

Thanks!

The paper copy I have is dated 4 Jan 2010. I don't have an electronic copy. Hopefully the date helps you find it...feel free to post it here :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Reserve bumped theirs up to that last year so we've been waiting for it for the Guard, but most folks figured it wouldn't go up until October (when the new fiscal year started). Just heard confirmation of the upping of the HPLRP via AKO. Looks legit, but it went up to $240K, not $250K.

Correct about $40K/year.

If you take STRAP, you can take it your PGY-3 year and above. So, yes, you can take it in your final year if you're in primary care. If you go into a five year residency, you can take it for your final three years.

And yes, you can not take HPLRP while paying back obligations to MDSSP or STRAP. You can take it while paying back your 8 year ASR MSO.

Hi all, longtime lurker and first-time poster. I am an M2 currently going through the paperwork song-and-dance to sign up with the NG, strongly considering taking MDSSP to help with things in my last two years.

My question is regarding HPLRP. Since we can't sign a contract for it before we are board-eligible (or PGY-3 if you take STRAP), how do the new loan limits even impact those of us still in training? The program could disappear, lower loan limits, etc in the next 5 years and then overnight that loan repayment would no longer be an option. Is there any way to lock in the current repayment incentives or are we just assuming they won't get cut?

HPLRP is not my sole or main reason for signing up, just wanted to know from some others out there how stable the program is and your opinions on whether the program going away/being drastically reduced is a realistic concern. We do have a deficit to close...somehow...

Also, anyone have your family on Tricare Reserve Select? How has it taken care of you? Is it hard to find docs in network? I think I read somewhere that you can see any doc but only docs in the Tricare network can write for prescriptions - is this accurate?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure if this has been covered (searched for "shadow" but nothing came up)...

Has anyone shadowed a NG doc drilling before signing up? This seems like a really good idea to me.

Anybody have contact info. for Vermont?

My question is regarding HPLRP. Since we can't sign a contract for it before we are board-eligible (or PGY-3 if you take STRAP), how do the new loan limits even impact those of us still in training?
Any program in the military is relevant only to those signing for that particular program. Assuming you don't do STRAP, HPLRP will be relevant to you in 5-8 years, depending on residency length.

That said, I'm not sure HPLRP has gone down. It might, but I don't know it has before. So it's good news and promising news. It's just not relevant to you yet.
The program could disappear, lower loan limits, etc in the next 5 years and then overnight that loan repayment would no longer be an option.
True.
Is there any way to lock in the current repayment incentives or are we just assuming they won't get cut?
You can't sign on for future incentives. You can't sign on for MDSSP until med school, STRAP until residency, or HPLRP or Special Pay until board eligible.
Loan repayment will always be around. How much is a question mark. And I think it will largely be based on how desperate they are for physicians. In the pre-2001 days, with no involuntary deployments, the HPLRP was set at $50K and physician recruiting wasn't hard. Now, it's extremely difficult. I think that this will change once the wars end and the Guard/Reserve is pictured as an easy gig again. But I think that will take quite some time.

Also, anyone have your family on Tricare Reserve Select? How has it taken care of you? Is it hard to find docs in network? I think I read somewhere that you can see any doc but only docs in the Tricare network can write for prescriptions - is this accurate?
1. I don't use Tricare Reserve Select, but know many folks who do.
2. It's just a healthcare insurer, like Medicare or Blue Cross, so the level of care is really dependent on the practitioner you find.
3. How easy it is to find docs who accept it depends on your geographic area. Some places it's very hard to find anyone who takes it. If you're in an area near military bases, it tends to be much easier. The problem with Tricare is that it's a terrible reimburser, so many docs choose not to accept it.
4. You can't see any doc, you can only see docs who take Tricare. If a doc takes Tricare and they are accepting patients, they are your provider just as if Tricare was any other kind of insurer.

totally brand new to this thread...

I'm a PA and starting school in LECOM in july. I was wondering about joining the national guard in erie.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

That is about the most incredibly open-ended question you could ask and not likely enough to produce any sort of useful information to warrant either asking or answering.

What do YOU want to know? What questions do YOU have? Your audience thinks A LOT of things. The first thing I think is that when you have questions about something in medicine, typically you let the person know what YOU have learned to that point or what research YOU have done, as a benchmark from which to proceed, and focus your questions to perceived gaps in your knowledge.

Not trying to be a complete dick, but try again. Ok, maybe a little bit, but I'm one that tells medical students "That is a GREAT question. On Thursday, be prepared to give a 5 minute "brief" on the topic and we can go from there." or will tell people asking for consults to call me back when they have an actual question.

Or maybe I just need a beer...

Any current, or former ASRs in Texas know about what are some good units to drill with down there? I matched down there for residency, i'm hoping for some medical units in the houston/bay area, with understanding COs (flex policy). Thanks.

Can anyone explain to me why clinical psychologists qualify for 25k special pay in the latest Officer Incentive Programs while psychiatrists get shafted with only 20k? I know psychologists can prescribe drugs in the Army, but this just doesn't make any sense. The previous policy had it the other way around. Is it possible it is a mistake?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain to me why clinical psychologists qualify for 25k special pay in the latest Officer Incentive Programs while psychiatrists get shafted with only 20k? I know psychologists can prescribe drugs in the Army, but this just doesn't make any sense. The previous policy had it the other way around. Is it possible it is a mistake?

Pretty sure psychiatrists get other special pay while the psychologists only get the $25k. So psychiatrists still make more, maybe just not quite as much more...

Its great to see that you guys have been keeping this thread alive all these years! Ive been checking in occasionally, and was hoping for some new advice

Ill be going to school at UMDNJ this fall, and want to join the ARNG. Would you recommend that I enlist, use the tuition waiver available in NJ, and then take out loans to cover living expenses? Then during residency, could I use the HPLRP to repay those loans for an additional 3 year obligation?

I understand that MDSSP and STRAP are 2:1 commitments or 1:1 if both used, but if HPLRP can repay those loans in exchange for 3 years and my tuition is covered in the initial 8year MSO...just wondering if HPLRP if for money paid towards tuition only.

Also, when does the 8 years start if you are drilling during med school?

Its great to see that you guys have been keeping this thread alive all these years! Ive been checking in occasionally, and was hoping for some new advice

Ill be going to school at UMDNJ this fall, and want to join the ARNG. Would you recommend that I enlist, use the tuition waiver available in NJ, and then take out loans to cover living expenses? Then during residency, could I use the HPLRP to repay those loans for an additional 3 year obligation?

I understand that MDSSP and STRAP are 2:1 commitments or 1:1 if both used, but if HPLRP can repay those loans in exchange for 3 years and my tuition is covered in the initial 8year MSO...just wondering if HPLRP if for money paid towards tuition only.

I'll only tackle the part I think I know: HPLRP can be used to pay off any federal student loans you have, regardless of if the loans were used for tuition or living expenses.

No. You can't use HPLRP until AFTER residency. The only exception to this is if you take STRAP and are in a critical warfare specialty, in which case you can take it during R3/R4/etc. but then can't take it until you've paid off your STRAP obligation. Make sense?
I understand that MDSSP and STRAP are 2:1 commitments or 1:1 if both used,
No. MDSSP is 1:1 and STRAP is 2:1 if both are used. A four year residency equals a 12 year drilling obligation post-residency if you take MDSSP and STRAP.
but if HPLRP can repay those loans in exchange for 3 years and my tuition is covered in the initial 8year MSO...just wondering if HPLRP if for money paid towards tuition only.
No, HPLRP covers any federal loans you take out for medical school, including living allowances.
Your 8 years starts the moment you are commissioned. Your actual drilling obligation (how many years you need to spend drilling once/month) depends on your contract, but is traditionally 6 years for the National Guard.

What you're proposing doing is do-able: join the National Guard, take no benefits, drill for four years in medical school and 3-5 years in residency, then take HPLRP after residency to pay off whatever loans you took for living expenses in medical school. Just make sure you want to be in the Guard and that your contract specifies you are non-deployable while in medical school. Some states may not sign you up as a medical student without MDSSP and want you to go in as a 70B or somesuch so that you fullfill a role while in medical school. Make sure your role and nondeployability are specified in writing before joining.

I'll only tackle the part I think I know: HPLRP can be used to pay off any federal student loans you have, regardless of if the loans were used for tuition or living expenses.
Kind of. To be very specific, they will pay off any federal MEDICAL student loans you have. They will not pay off any loans taken for undergrad or post-bac. You need to take care not to consolidate those loans as well or you'll have problems with HPLRP.

Kind of. To be very specific, they will pay off any federal MEDICAL student loans you have. They will not pay off any loans taken for undergrad or post-bac. You need to take care not to consolidate those loans as well or you'll have problems with HPLRP.

Ha...don't know how I missed that detail. Once I was looking for it, it popped right out at me, even in my original emails with the recruiter.

What you're proposing doing is do-able: join the National Guard, take no benefits, drill for four years in medical school and 3-5 years in residency, then take HPLRP after residency to pay off whatever loans you took for living expenses in medical school. Just make sure you want to be in the Guard and that your contract specifies you are non-deployable while in medical school. Some states may not sign you up as a medical student without MDSSP and want you to go in as a 70B or somesuch so that you fullfill a role while in medical school. Make sure your role and nondeployability are specified in writing before joining.

Got it thanks!

sorry another question...how does drilling work for HPLRP? I was reading through the past few pages again and if you take MDSSP for 2 years, you can pay it back concurrently for the 4 years after school during the last 4 years of the initial 8y MSO?

Ie...Does my following timeline make sense if you had a 5 year residency?

M1-M4: Drilling, Take MDSSP for 2 years (is M1/M2 possible or only M3/M4)
PGY1-4: Drilling (PGY1-2 drill, 3-4 IRR if not MDSSP)
PGY5: ....nothing/IRR while finishing residency and becoming board certified?
PGY 6-9: Drill while receiving HPLRP for 1-3 years
PGY 10-12: Receive HPLRP for 4-6 years if needed (highly doubt since tuition is covered)

I was reading through the past few pages again and if you take MDSSP for 2 years, you can pay it back concurrently for the 4 years after school during the last 4 years of the initial 8y MSO?
Yes. The MSO of 8 years is a contractual obligation every servicemember, regardless of branch or rank, takes upon joining the military. It's not considered an obligation given for a benefit, so it is paid back concurrently with any other program.
M1-M4: Drilling, Take MDSSP for 2 years (is M1/M2 possible or only M3/M4)
- If you opt for two years of MDSSP, you can only take them for M3/M4. The first two years, you'd just receive drill pay.
PGY1-4: Drilling (PGY1-2 drill, 3-4 IRR if not MDSSP)
Yes. Assuming you joined at the start of MS1, you will have completed both your 8 year MSO and the four years of drilling-time obligated by two years of MDSSP by the completion of your fourth year of residency.
PGY5: ....nothing/IRR while finishing residency and becoming board certified?
PGY 6-9: Drill while receiving HPLRP for 1-3 years
PGY 10-12: Receive HPLRP for 4-6 years if needed (highly doubt since tuition is covered)
Yep. This is do-able.

The only foreseeable problem would be if the Guard/Reserves got rid of MDSSP for folks already in the Guard.

This is something they've talked about doing for some time. The logic is that if someone is already in the Guard, there's no need to give them MDSSP. And if someone isn't in the Guard, why float a medical student for four years when they're essentially useless to the military?

That said, I've heard them talk about making that change for over two years and it hasn't happened yet.

hmm alright well Ill check with my recruiter to see if i can sign up without MDSSP. i really appreciate the help, my amedd recruiter doesnt seem that well-informed. they were telling me that hplrp can be used for undergrad loans, but i dont believe thats true...

are we deployable during residency? I thought yes (90 days/18 months), but just wanted to check.

hmm alright well Ill check with my recruiter to see if i can sign up without MDSSP.
You should be able to.
i really appreciate the help, my amedd recruiter doesnt seem that well-informed. they were telling me that hplrp can be used for undergrad loans, but i dont believe thats true...
Definitely not true. You also can't use it for private loans you take out in medical school, so it's important not to consolidate them since it makes HPLRP payouts challenging.
are we deployable during residency? I thought yes (90 days/18 months), but just wanted to check.
We are non-deployable by law until we finish internship. We are non-deployable by policy until we finish residency. A lot of us looked into this in great detail before taking ASR and couldn't find an example of anyone deployed against their will in the middle of residency. I wouldn't sweat it.

1. My state AMEDD recruiter sent me a MDSSP service agreement with the following clause for me to inital which was in a different font than the rest of the form. Is this a correct clause, it seems fishy because I thought MDDSP service obligation began after medical school and was a 1 year service committent for every 6 months of benefit?

"___I understand that if I DO NOT elect to participate in STRAP that my MDSSP obligation will not begin until completion of residency."

2. My second question is about officer service obligation committent. I am a Army National Guard PA with 13 years of service, 7 years as a SP officer. If I reappoint what is my total service obligation if I only complete 2 years of MDSSP? I hear that every officer must serve at least 8 years minmium in order to seperate. Does my 8 year obligation start over with my reappointment?

1. My state AMEDD recruiter sent me a MDSSP service agreement with the following clause for me to inital which was in a different font than the rest of the form. Is this a correct clause, it seems fishy because I thought MDDSP service obligation began after medical school and was a 1 year service committent for every 6 months of benefit?

"___I understand that if I DO NOT elect to participate in STRAP that my MDSSP obligation will not begin until completion of residency."

2. My second question is about officer service obligation committent. I am a Army National Guard PA with 13 years of service, 7 years as a SP officer. If I reappoint what is my total service obligation if I only complete 2 years of MDSSP? I hear that every officer must serve at least 8 years minmium in order to seperate. Does my 8 year obligation start over with my reappointment?

This was not in my MDSSP agreement.

i'm not planning on taking any financial incentives from the national guard which means that my obligation will be 8 years i believe (4 years in med school, 4 years in residency) during which i will be non-deployable, and if after those 8 years i will be able to pursue other interests right?

You should really contact a recruiter. I know nothing about Illinois, but I've never heard of anything like that. What would the Guard be gaining from having you join? You would be non-deployable for your entire obligation, not contribute to the Guard during your whole obligation, and expect to be out as soon as your available to offer them something?

Maybe Illinois is different, but joining the Guard without going through a program means you are deployable and will be expected to drill etc. Only joining one of the programs for medical students is going to allow you to be non-deoplyable.

sorry i wasn't clear. yes, the program is for medical students so i would be joining as a 2nd lieutenant. the guard would be gaining from me the drill days that i would go to for the unit, and the potential for me to stick around even after my obligation is up if i like working with the guard. i did not mean to say that i wouldn't contribute to the guard - i would definitely be doing what is required of me.

No problem, but contact a recruiter from Illinois. I have never heard of anything like that anywhere. Which I guess doesn't mean much, but that seems far fetched. I dont see (from the Guard's perspective) what they would be gaining from having you in special status your whole obligation and releasing you as soon as your able to contribute (your mos, being a physician). What mos would you have in school? Why would that mos be non-deployable?

Also think about your ability and willingness to drill during med school and residency. I would not have been happy trying to fit in drilling my first year of medical school.

i will contact a recruiter from illinois about this - but my understanding is that you are guaranteed non-deployable in both medical school and residency as a student.

I can confirm that, if, and only if, you are in one of the med student programs. These programs allow you to be protected from deployment while in school and residency, but also incur obligation for after residency. Otherwise what is the Guard gaining? The truth is, as students, in special status, we dont bring much to the table, just the promise that we will be a physician and that is what the Guard needs us for.

If you find this program to be true, and you think you can handle drilling in med school, go for it. I just have never heard of anything like that without any obligation past your medical training or option to use you in deployment.

Good luck

I can confirm that, if, and only if, you are in one of the med student programs. These programs allow you to be protected from deployment while in school and residency, but also incur obligation for after residency. Otherwise what is the Guard gaining? The truth is, as students, in special status, we dont bring much to the table, just the promise that we will be a physician and that is what the Guard needs us for.

If you find this program to be true, and you think you can handle drilling in med school, go for it. I just have never heard of anything like that without any obligation past your medical training or option to use you in deployment.

Good luck

dear 7starmantis...i'm confused. so does this mean that after the 8 years of non-deployable time, i commit 8 years after residency to national guard physician duty?

I'm no recruiter, so keep that in mind.
In Texas (and most other states I have heard about) the program is a stipend while in medical school and if you chose, during residency. You are special status meaning non-deployable and in most cases dont have to drill or can use school time as drilling time.

Your obligation is 2:1 for every year you take the program and remain non-deployable (actually 1 year for every 6 months). It is recalculated if you take STRAP (the program for residency) but thats not important. You complete residency and become a drilling, "active" member of the guard and are then deployable. This is when you serve your obligation from being non-deployable during school and/or residency.

There are some ways to work around things, like taking MDSSP (during med school) but not STRAP (during residency) and shaving off some time possibly. But the point of the Guard letting you be an officer and be non-deployable is to finish school so you can serve as a physician. They dont need special status students in the Guard, they need doctors.

Please check with your local recruiter as I'm just giving you my own experience and contract info. Things can change and be different from person to person sometimes, but the main goal from the Guard's perspective is to help med students and secure a Guard physician. Helping med students with no return isn't a very wise investment. But then again, you shouldn't be joining the military unless you want to serve, so serving your time should be the whole reason for joining the Guard (along with the stipends of course).

hmm i thought if one joined without taking the stipend (i'm assuming MDSSP) and just served then there is no additional obligation. my understanding was that commitment starts on the day i am sworn in (when i start med school), and so the 8 years that i am signing up for is really 4 years of med school and afterwards...going to have to do some more investigative work.

also...it's not that i don't want to serve, i actually was always interested in the guard since i have a couple of friends there who are serving and only have great things to say. a big draw for me is tuition assistance but i just want to keep my options open in case that the national guard is not really a fit for me. i'm willing to serve if deployed but i just wanted to gain a sense of what i was getting myself into.

any other thoughts on this matter?

I'm no recruiter, so keep that in mind.
In Texas (and most other states I have heard about) the program is a stipend while in medical school and if you chose, during residency. You are special status meaning non-deployable and in most cases dont have to drill or can use school time as drilling time.

Your obligation is 2:1 for every year you take the program and remain non-deployable (actually 1 year for every 6 months). It is recalculated if you take STRAP (the program for residency) but thats not important. You complete residency and become a drilling, "active" member of the guard and are then deployable. This is when you serve your obligation from being non-deployable during school and/or residency.

There are some ways to work around things, like taking MDSSP (during med school) but not STRAP (during residency) and shaving off some time possibly. But the point of the Guard letting you be an officer and be non-deployable is to finish school so you can serve as a physician. They dont need special status students in the Guard, they need doctors.

Please check with your local recruiter as I'm just giving you my own experience and contract info. Things can change and be different from person to person sometimes, but the main goal from the Guard's perspective is to help med students and secure a Guard physician. Helping med students with no return isn't a very wise investment. But then again, you shouldn't be joining the military unless you want to serve, so serving your time should be the whole reason for joining the Guard (along with the stipends of course).

hmm i thought if one joined without taking the stipend (i'm assuming MDSSP) and just served then there is no additional obligation. my understanding was that commitment starts on the day i am sworn in (when i start med school), and so the 8 years that i am signing up for is really 4 years of med school and afterwards...going to have to do some more investigative work.

also...it's not that i don't want to serve, i actually was always interested in the guard since i have a couple of friends there who are serving and only have great things to say. a big draw for me is tuition assistance but i just want to keep my options open in case that the national guard is not really a fit for me. i'm willing to serve if deployed but i just wanted to gain a sense of what i was getting myself into.

any other thoughts on this matter?

I understand completely, I had to weigh all the options and all for myself as well.

You may be right about joining the Guard before med school, but unless you join into a specific program you will be deployable. That is not a risk I would advise during med school. You might want to get some specific answers from a recruiter, because I've never heard of anyone joining without being placed in a special program (like MDSSP or STRAP) and being non-deployable.

Technically you are right abou the 8 years MSO, and some places may let you join with no commitment, as long as you are commissioned as a med student you are non deployable however some places require you to take a stipend, for that you need to talk to a recruiter. Another important point is that some incentives, like tuition assistance may only be available to people who have already attended training which wouldn't apply until your second year. Another thing to keep in mind, it will take 4 months (as I just learned above) to become sworn in.

Best advice:

1) talk to a recruiter
2) find guardsmen in your med school (ask recruiter for email addresses)
3) ask lots of questions - the details of these programs vary by state and by each commanding officer (re: flexi training where you drill 4 times a year instead of monthly)
4) think it through - as many people said before dont join for the money, join because you want to serve.

Disclaimer: I submitted my app this week, though I did do plenty of research, those who are in the guard already will have the best advice and knowledge.

Good luck with med school and your decision to serve.

Ps it really does differ from state to state so you must find out details from your state AMEDD recruiter. btw the application is 51 pages long

My turn for a question: if I can't fit officer training in until maybe after residency (not because I don't want to but because I won't have the time - I do FP rotations my first summer) what am I not eligible for? Does that mean I won't be promoted after med school? Just curious. Thanks

Technically you are right abou the 8 years MSO, and some places may let you join with no commitment, as long as you are commissioned as a med student you are non deployable

This is not correct. There have been many med students deployed during med school because they were not in a protected program. I spoke to one just the other day. Best advice, get your protected status in writing before you sign. Also, I have never heard of any National Guard (or any military branch for that matter) that accepts commissioned officers (or NCO's, or enlisted personnel) without any kind of commitment.

Let me repeat: If you are not in a special status program (meaning you just join the Guard yourself) and/or do not have a protected status outlined in your contract, you can (and probably will) be deployed at any time.

Talk to some Guard physicians before you sign. Guard med students know little more than you do. Speak with someone who has been through the whole process and can discuss it with experience.

Another important point is that some incentives, like tuition assistance may only be available to people who have already attended training which wouldn't apply until your second year.
Even further, most tuition assistance, bonuses, etc are recommissioning bonuses and you wont get those unless you recommission after being licensed as a physician and serving your initial MSO.

Again, let me be clear. If you join the Guard outside of one of the protected status programs (like MDSSP or STRAP) you are deployable. Before you sign, speak with some physicians in the Guard. Ask your recruiter to set you up.

My turn for a question: if I can't fit officer training in until maybe after residency (not because I don't want to but because I won't have the time - I do FP rotations my first summer) what am I not eligible for? Does that mean I won't be promoted after med school? Just curious. Thanks

I'm in the same boat, they told me not to worry about it. I can even do it after residency, but they said you had to get it done within a year of licensure. I'm going to try and fit it in fourth year though, it sounds like a blast. Also, we checked with the NGB and you would not be available for promotion until after training. However, after you are licensed you are recommissioned (not promoted) as a captain so no big deal really, I dont care about my rank in school that much.

I spent nearly all of my first year in med school researching this and asking detailed questions my recruiter had to go to the NGB for answers. lol I wanted to know before I signed! :)

This is not correct. There have been many med students deployed during med school because they were not in a protected program.

This is interesting, I'm not disagreeing or anything, it's just odd because my recruiter has suggested exactly that: that I don't have to take any incentives and I would still be protected from deployment. I'm actually planning on doing MDDSP year 2 and 3 only (only do 3 yrs) and she said that was fine as I would be commissioned as a medical student and not be deployable and then sign the incentives when I'm ready to take it.

I'm also a PA and when I asked if I can go in as a PA she said I would be considered active and eligible for deployment but as long as I sign up as a medical student I would be fine.

When do I get this contract to review and sign? Is this at the meeting/interview thing where I go to the base and swear in?

I would also love to do the training but a month is a long time to fit in. I would for sure like to get it done before residency so I have the possibility of promotions

Last edited:
This is interesting, I'm not disagreeing or anything, it's just odd because my recruiter has suggested exactly that: that I don't have to take any incentives and I would still be protected from deployment. I'm actually planning on doing MDDSP year 2 and 3 only (only do 3 yrs) and she said that was fine as I would be commissioned as a medical student and not be deployable and then sign the incentives when I'm ready to take it.

I'm also a PA and when I asked if I can go in as a PA she said I would be considered active and eligible for deployment but as long as I sign up as a medical student I would be fine.

When do I get this contract to review and sign? Is this at the meeting/interview thing where I go to the base and swear in?

I would also love to do the training but a month is a long time to fit in. I would for sure like to get it done before residency so I have the possibility of promotions

Well, if your recruiter has a program like that, then I'm sure its legit. I was just saying if you dont have some program that keeps you non-deployable you will be deployed. Sounds like your recruiter has a way of signing you up in the program without incurring MSO time. I've never heard of that before, but like I said, I'm no recruiter. :)

It depends when you get the contract. I made sure I had mine well before swearing in so my brother (attorney) could look over it with me. It was one of my deal breakers if I couldn't get that done, but it was no problem.

Yeah, a month is hard to fit in, the best time is between 1st and 2nd year. I would have done it then but I didn't get everything through in time.

Getting the contact before - now that's some great advice! I have been asking for something in writing as well but seems like the incentives have switched recently. I spoke about flexi also because seems like there were only ASRs in my school recently with no regular drilling students. She said she spoke to the CO at the closest location to my school and said he was on board with flexi.

Once I get my hands on the contract I will read it closely for these details.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips.

Btw.. Are u enjoying it so far?

Getting the contact before - now that's some great advice! I have been asking for something in writing as well but seems like the incentives have switched recently. I spoke about flexi also because seems like there were only ASRs in my school recently with no regular drilling students. She said she spoke to the CO at the closest location to my school and said he was on board with flexi.

Once I get my hands on the contract I will read it closely for these details.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips.

Btw.. Are u enjoying it so far?

Yeah, actually we dont drill at all, but are trying to find something we can do that would help out some and still be reasonable. I dont really know if I'm enjoying it....haven't even done much of anything! :) But, I'm glad I went through with it all.

No drilling at all? Interesing! I know I say it now but I'm kinda looking forward to drilling. I was thinking if doing some per diem work as a PA before I decided guard so two days of physicals would be kinda ok.

No. If you fulfilled your MSO 20 years ago, it's still fulfilled. You are only obligated to whatever you sign in your contract.

But while 2 years of MDSSP would obligate you for 4 years of drilling, so that would be a total of 6 years obligation.