Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AFTER A YEAR of paperwork and waiting and waivers...I'm going to swear in at the board this month -- what happens after that? More paperwork in the background?? Timeline anyone?
Or did I finally join the Guard?

What is the chance of me being able to take part in the 19 Apr 2012 BOLC course with this being so close?

Members don't see this ad.

AFTER A YEAR of paperwork and waiting and waivers...I'm going to swear in at the board this month -- what happens after that? More paperwork in the background?? Timeline anyone?
Or did I finally join the Guard?

haha.. i was in your shoes not very long ago! Congrats! The board is a seriously experience, more than I was expecting but great.

After you swear in there will be about 2 weeks until your info will be in the system. U then need to apply for an AKO at us.army.mil after this u can get a CAC card, google RAPIDS Site Locator for locations to get CAC cards. If you want tricare you can do this after you get your mypay password which you should get in the mail a few weeks after you join.

You need to find out where you are drilling and get a drill schedule. Also, if the base u will be swearing in at has a PX (exchange store) see if your amedd recruiters will take u there and help u get your uniform basics so you can drill.

if you will be not be drilling at your headquarters, will might need attachment orders to drill with a different unit, you can ask your recruiter about this

What is the chance of me being able to take part in the 19 Apr 2012 BOLC course with this being so close?
sorry, cant comment on this

congrats again and if you have any other q, feel free to post

notdeadyet - how do you access rosetta stone on AKO?

also what other cool things can we find on AKO that could be useful?

First drill (non-ASR) was great!

Thanks for everything

Went to pull up the Rosetta Stone link and discovered that:

"On September 24th, 2011 The Army contract allowing all active Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, DA Civilians, and USMA or ROTC contracted cadets expired, ending Rosetta Stone access through Army e-learning. While Rosetta Stone access will no longer be available through Army e-Learning, many languages Rosetta Stone offers remain mission critical.

Despite the Army deciding to no longer offer Rosetta Stone training to all soldiers on Army e-Learning, Rosetta Stone will continue to be offered for purchase for yourself or your unit, including military edition languages."

Too bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link to the FY 2012 Officer Incentives? I have not seen it yet, but according to http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/medical-professional-officer/healthcare-bonuses-and-loans it looks like Psychiatrists are no longer listed on the Critical Shortage list. Does that really mean no more STRAP/HPLR for future Psychiatrists?
FY 2011 Officer Incentives doc came out in March, 2011, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new Officer Incentives doc isn't out yet. If anyone has a copy, if they could post it or offer to PM it to folks, that would be great. It's the Bible for recruiting.

As per the webpage, I wouldn't be surprised if they just copied/pasted the standard boilerplate of specialties there. That isn't necessarily the exhaustive list of what's eligible for HPLRP.

That said, with budget cuts, I wouldn't be surprised if that HPLRP bonus got scrutinized and psychiatry was a late add on which means it might be one of the first taken off.

notdeadyet - Thanks for pushing forward on the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Please let us know if see a sign of anything changing... I purposely haven't used any of my GI Bill because I was hoping we ASRs were going to be included. I've been told it shouldn't be a problem applying for MGIB-SR during residency. Does that seem true to you?
It seems that way, but if you look over the language of the MGIB-SR, it seems to indicate that for officers (not enlisted), you must have six years of drilling to go when you take the benefit. At least according to the webpage. I haven't dug too deep into the language.

Yeah, losing Rosetta Stone is a serious blow. It would be a great way to build up retirement points to make sure you have a good year during those years you don't drill a lot. That said, I can see how the Army was likely hemorrhaging money on that relationship. RS ain't cheap.

Yeah, losing Rosetta Stone is a serious blow. It would be a great way to build up retirement points to make sure you have a good year during those years you don't drill a lot. That said, I can see how the Army was likely hemorrhaging money on that relationship. RS ain't cheap.

Anything else we can use for retirement points?

On a side note, I'm stuck in limbo because I'm assigned to JFHQ but no one owns me. Trying to get attachment orders, but who knows when those will go through. Meanwhile, I drilled once, and since I am missing one drill, I am making it by teaching ROTC cadets first aid but since I don't officially have a CO yet, who knows if its even approved. I love the drama.

Hey - so i spoke with USAA bank for a while yesterday - the details on the loan we hear so much about

direct line: 800-531-4610

max $25k, repayment is 45 days later, 5 year term

The name of the loan is called the Cadet Loan, but doesn't seem to matter that we werent cadets. It took a while going through all the abbreviations to discover she just wanted to hear AMEDD but there are like 30 minutes worth of questions. They didn't really seem to require much besides for payment from a USAA account. You can take the loan one year from your commissioning or apparently one year from graduating med school because its an advanced graduate degree.

FY 2011 Officer Incentives doc came out in March, 2011, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new Officer Incentives doc isn't out yet. If anyone has a copy, if they could post it or offer to PM it to folks, that would be great. It's the Bible for recruiting.

As per the webpage, I wouldn't be surprised if they just copied/pasted the standard boilerplate of specialties there. That isn't necessarily the exhaustive list of what's eligible for HPLRP.

That said, with budget cuts, I wouldn't be surprised if that HPLRP bonus got scrutinized and psychiatry was a late add on which means it might be one of the first taken off.

the ARNG-CSG--FY 12-13 AMEDD Officer Incentives came out mid jan.. ill send it to you

Hey - so i spoke with USAA bank for a while yesterday - the details on the loan we hear so much about

direct line: 800-531-4610

max $25k, repayment is 45 days later, 5 year term

The name of the loan is called the Cadet Loan, but doesn't seem to matter that we werent cadets. It took a while going through all the abbreviations to discover she just wanted to hear AMEDD but there are like 30 minutes worth of questions. They didn't really seem to require much besides for payment from a USAA account. You can take the loan one year from your commissioning or apparently one year from graduating med school because its an advanced graduate degree.

Just called, took about 15 minutes start to finish. Easy approval, (despite a rather large student loan debt)

So guys am in the MDSSP and I owe the nG about 6 yrs. But I really enjoy the military and want to do an residency their. If I were to move to the active Army would they pay for any of my dental school. also if i couldnt do that and just stayed in the guard for 6 yr would my rank transfer to the active army.ANy ideas

I'm still pushing forward on FTA, thought I'd post for other people running into issues.

Tried entering my classes again. It's accepting them if I put the actual dates of the rotations instead of trying to group them by semester. A few snags related to communication between the military and my school, but I've been told that after I get one last issue taken care of my application looks good to go.

Still worried I'll get denied over the 45 hour credit limit but we'll see...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just checking back in. I swore in this last week. Woohoo! New Lieutenant :)

I've got everyone running around at AMEDD head quarters trying to track me down a funded spot for April BOLC course (I graduate in May, took over a year to get all my paperwork done!). Top officers I spoke with on the day I swore in seemed optimistic they could find a way to get me in and are making personal calls around for me. So here's hoping! Still waiting until I show up in the system to knock out the online portion ASAP.

I've got plans to take STRAP (rewrites contract) so I won't be in a bind contractually if I don't finish BOLC before I start residency. But of course, it'd be real nice to get this out of the way and done now to not hang up pay and promotion schedules during residency.

Well anyways, thanks everyone for all the input. Excited at the prospect of drilling or BOLC soon!

EDIT - I did not take some previous advice and get access to a PX with my recruiter when I swore in, so I have not purchased any uniforms or anything. Other than my local PX, is there a better way to aquire common items like the ACU, boots,etc? Also, everyone just getting the issued boots? I'd like to start breaking them in now as I have learned from years of hiking how bad BOLC could be if I show up with new boots. yikes. Thanks for helping the newbie.

Hey guys,

EDIT - I did not take some previous advice and get access to a PX with my recruiter when I swore in, so I have not purchased any uniforms or anything. Other than my local PX, is there a better way to aquire common items like the ACU, boots,etc? Also, everyone just getting the issued boots? I'd like to start breaking them in now as I have learned from years of hiking how bad BOLC could be if I show up with new boots. yikes. Thanks for helping the newbie.

Congrats! Welcome aboard, very respectable move.

Good luck with BOLC. Regarding the uniform, the only other place I know of getting it is www.shopmyexchange.com but you will not be able to register here for at least 2 weeks. If you have a local PX, I would recommend checking it out and trying everything on because it comes in a tremendous range of sizes. Also, BOLC should give you $$ for some uniform and you should confirm with your recruiter what exactly you need to bring regarding the uniform (dress one etc). The PX sells tons of different boots, ranging from like $70 to $170.. get a good pair, its worth it on your feet.

Any other questions...

Congratulations...
I've got plans to take STRAP (rewrites contract) so I won't be in a bind contractually if I don't finish BOLC before I start residency. But of course, it'd be real nice to get this out of the way and done now to not hang up pay and promotion schedules during residency.
Big time. Depending on specialty, that could be a hit financially. Also, I felt like a bit of a fraud wearing the uniform before I went to BOLC. The idea of being an officer on paper with no actual formal training was very weird indeed. That largely goes away after BOLC.
Other than my local PX, is there a better way to aquire common items like the ACU, boots,etc?
I buy everything from ACUarmy.com. Great service, good prices and they have everything in the ACU uniform you need. Sizing is very easy if you get yourself measured, as they're listed for each size. Also find your hat size for your PC. Hitting the PX is fun, but not really necessary.
Also, everyone just getting the issued boots? I'd like to start breaking them in now as I have learned from years of hiking how bad BOLC could be if I show up with new boots. yikes. Thanks for helping the newbie.
Folks where a wide range of boots. Make sure they meet regs (don't have them in front of me, but they need to be 8" high, leather, tan, and not have a cap over the toe (standard sole). Google Army approved boots and you get a long list.

There aren't any great boots, there are only great fits. It's easy to be between sizes in one model and get a perfect fit in another. You'll need to try these on.

A couple questions. with mdssp combinded with strap and hplrp I want to make sure i have the payback right.
Assume 3 yrs mdssp and a 3 yr residency.
start taking hplrp yr 3 of residency. So would 9 years of payback be owed and payback starting 5 years post residency (after done with hplrp)?

Also, is hplrp only for wartime critical specialties(ie no rads etc)....

Thanks

how much do doctors/physicians in national guard get paid?

Doctors come in as O-3 and this is the base pay:

Drill Pay over 12 months (?) $10,308 Annual Training Pay (?) $3,006
Total $13,314

keep in mind the national guard is part time obligation which is one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year which is very different than active duty. deployment is paid out at active pay with hazard pay if qualified..

However there are many many incentives for joining (like $240,000 for loan repayment, $75,000 special pay, etc)- what is your current status and what are you looking for and we can give you more detailed info.

A couple questions. with mdssp combinded with strap and hplrp I want to make sure i have the payback right.
Assume 3 yrs mdssp and a 3 yr residency.
start taking hplrp yr 3 of residency. So would 9 years of payback be owed and payback starting 5 years post residency (after done with hplrp)?

Also, is hplrp only for wartime critical specialties(ie no rads etc)....

Thanks

I believe you are correct in all of your statements. However, i would wait until notdeadyet weighs in because he has a much more experience and understanding.

p.s. that commitment time would get you to retirement

I'm in the ASR program and graduate from med school in 2 months and wondering if its possible to transition from the ASR program to the Financial Assistance Program (FAP)?

Are there any critical care fellowships in the military open to emergency medicine graduates?

I just wanted to let folks know that my appeal to the VA for Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits has been formally shot down. The explanation provided by the VA is that the Post-9/11 is only for AGR folks who were on Title 32 orders.

Is anyone on any ASR-related GI Bill? I'm still at a loss for which one we are eligible for. By my read, the only one that fits is the Chapter 1606, which requires you to agree to 6 years of drilling.

I thought ASRs were on title 32 orders and we were AGR. How does ASR not meet these requirements? Thank you for posting your experiences.

I thought ASRs were on title 32 orders and we were AGR. How does ASR not meet these requirements? Thank you for posting your experiences.
ASRs are on ADSW or ADOS orders. This is different from AGR.

Think of ADSW or ADOS as being a temp and AGR as being a new hire.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Sorry to hear you didn't get it. I'll post if I hear of anybody qualifying.

I just read through most of this loooong thread and am still very confused about the NG. The main thing I was wondering is when does the service commitment start for the STRAP and MDSSP programs? Do you have to do the 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a years throughout med. school and residency? If so, is the "service commitment" in addition to those requirements? Also, what does that commitment entail?

Also, how do to 90 day deployments work? Do you just stop what ever you are doing (private practice, residency etc) whenever you are called up?

I know these are a lot of questions, and if there are any recruiters on here, please PM me. Thanks.

Is anyone on any ASR-related GI Bill? I'm still at a loss for which one we are eligible for. By my read, the only one that fits is the Chapter 1606, which requires you to agree to 6 years of drilling.

Might be worth looking into whether we qualify for REAP (1607) as well.

"National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:
• authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S.C.,
• authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and
• supported by federal funds."

We're Title 32 and supported by federal funds, but who knows what hidden verbage is in the actual rules...

Might be worth looking into whether we qualify for REAP (1607) as well.
We weren't called up for a national emergency, so we don't qualify for REAP. That's my understanding anyway....

Can always claim the physician shortage is a national emergency. :p

But the 1606 GI Bill just doesn't seem like a good deal in today's military climate. At least to me, $13k isn't worth a 6 year obligation. You'll almost certainly deploy in those 6 years and would qualify for AD GI Bill benefits but you used them up on the reserve benefits. I'd rather get out or hold out and rely on other programs.

There's the issue of what to use the benefits on after residency, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to find an MBA, MPH, JD, commercial pilot license, etc to spend it on...

There's the issue of what to use the benefits on after residency, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to find an MBA, MPH, JD, commercial pilot license, etc to spend it on...
It's definitely a "to each their own" kind of thing. The MD is definitely terminal for me. There's no way in hell I'm going back for a JD or MPH or somesuch down the road. Even if the GI Bill paid 100% for a JD, the lost wages would be hundreds of K$.

But you're right about a six year hitch not being financially worth it.

Does anyone know what the maximum reimbursement is for uniform allowance?

Does anyone know what the maximum reimbursement is for uniform allowance?

I want to say it's $450 but I can't remember for sure. I can't even remember if I ever got it. I know I applied for it but I don't recall ever noticing it in a check. Maybe I should follow up on that.

Speaking of uniforms, I can't find the source but I swear I saw something somewhere about everyone at O3 or above needing to have a DoD photograph in Dress Blues taken. Anyone know wtf I'm talking about? Trying to figure out if I need to budget for that uniform anytime soon...

I want to say it's $450 but I can't remember for sure. .

Thanks, can anyone validate that? I am eligible to submit any time; however I want to ensure that I maximize my return on this before doing so. Thanks again.

Just checked my e-mail and found the form I submitted. It mentions never having received a Uniform Allowance in excess of $400 so I think I was off a bit with the $450.

Just checked my e-mail and found the form I submitted. It mentions never having received a Uniform Allowance in excess of $400 so I think I was off a bit with the $450.

$400 is the number I memorized, and as a med student, I'm pretty good at remembering asinine trivia. Of course, I have no idea how to get the reimbursement.

$400 is the number I memorized, and as a med student, I'm pretty good at remembering asinine trivia. Of course, I have no idea how to get the reimbursement.

I have the scanned forms in my email inbox for my state. I'm happy to email them to you if you PM me you're email addy.

Does anyone know who to contact regarding applying for an extension for BOLC? I commissioned in summer 2010 and I was scheduled to go to BOLC in summer 2011, but had a family emergency that made me drop out last minute. Right now I'm wrapping M2 year now, so no possibility of BOLC for me before my two year commission anniversary.

So I've been trying to get info on extending BOLC my state AMEDD recruiters for several months now, but they are a really good job of ignoring all my calls and emails or replying that they will contact me as soon as they find out, and then never getting back to me.

I contacted the my unit commander and the NG state surgeon in my state, but they aren't really sure either and told me to contact the AMEDD recruiters o_O

Anybody have any idea of the office name or an individual I could contact? I know this is probably state-specific, but maybe the job title or office name is consistent and I can use that as a springboard to getting this done.

Will not getting an extension on BOLC and passing the two year mark without going be grounds for dismissal from the NG? With the current state of the guard, I feel like the probability for getting kicked out of the guard would be higher than in the past for the same situation.

Thanks!

Bumping this in hopes someone will take a hard look at this, particularly the second one on Flexible Training.
It was mentioned early in the thread that said training policy requires drilling every other month instead of one per quarter. THAT LINK should be the document that explains what is on the horizon. All of us headed into Residency in particular should start looking for someone with that document.

I joined built on the idea of a once per quarter in-person drill during Residency. This could be bad...real bad.

Also, NotDeadYet, can you post some detailed directions on going about getting the 50 points for a good year via online training and other equivalent training than drills an AT. My goal until after Residency is to do the minimum drill time in person...then drill normally once I'm done. So far, due to a long story, I'm drilling with multiple different units and don't have a commander to sit down with and hash some of this out until June.

EDIT - GOT IT! Thanks infirmarydude.

http://www.4shared.com/office/mYvQjkZn/ARNG-CSG--FY_12-13_Flexible_Tr.html

It states that for FY12-13 (oct12-oct13 I would assume??) you must drill 6 times per year. It does not specify every other month. This may be okay if you have a good unit commander. 6 times of training versus 4 times, but not you can do 4 consecutive and then two more at another time.

NotDeadYet and others, with the increased drilling time, your input on flexibility for general retirement points would be very helpful

Last edited:
Has anyone done a rotation at a military hospital? I know that anyone can apply but preference is given to HPSP students. I will be off ASR orders when I plan to do the rotation. My main question; Are we able to be put on active duty order for the rotation like HPSP students and have the military pay for lodging and travel ect.

I joined built on the idea of a once per quarter in-person drill during Residency. This could be bad...real bad.
Yeah, it bears repeating again for folks considering joining the military: policy can and is frequently changed. Your contract will not be, but policy likely will.

Examples of policy that folks should remember can change:
* Flexi-Training
* 90 Day Deployments
* HPLRP (Loan Repayment)- Either the amount or whether your specialty qualifies for it
* Etc.

there is- It's also worth keeping in mind that Flexi-Training is only used with the approval of your CO. I haven't heard of any CO's not permitting it, but not everyone embraces it.

For example, where I'm at, the understanding is that I drill EVERY drill. If I have to miss one, so be it, but I have to give advance notice and make every attempt to do it. So far I have ended up missing only 1 drill in intern year (granted, I'm in a less time-intensive residency and have been able to move around days off). This requires a lot of coordination with my CO and Program Director. My residency program is pretty accommodating and tries to make allowances where it can.
Also, NotDeadYet, can you post some detailed directions on going about getting the 50 points for a good year via online training and other equivalent training than drills an AT.
You can do Army-approved online training courses (via atrrs.army.mil) and you can send in course certificates to your training NCO. You will get 1 retirement point for every 3 hours of training.

Again, these do not "make up" for missed drills, they just go towards retirement points. In other words, these courses are done in addition to your minimum of 6 drills and AT each year.
My goal until after Residency is to do the minimum drill time in person...then drill normally once I'm done.
It'll be state- and command-dependent, but going into residency looking to do "minimum drill time" probably isn't a very healthy approach. It might be better to expect to drill every month with the exception of drills you absolutely can't make due to schedule inflexibility. Most commands are going to be very accommodating with that.

It's not too hard. Even when you're doing surgery or internal medicine months, most programs give you a total of 4 days off and your program can often put two of those together to make a weekend for you to drill.
It states that for FY12-13 (oct12-oct13 I would assume??) you must drill 6 times per year. It does not specify every other month. This may be okay if you have a good unit commander. 6 times of training versus 4 times, but not you can do 4 consecutive and then two more at another time.
At least in my state, I can't imagine too many commands that would allow you to miss four months of consecutive drill. There aren't too many residencies where you literally couldn't attend drill for four months on the trot. If your program isn't willing to put two of your mandated days off together to allow you to drill, it's worth having a conversation with them, as them allowing you to attend drill is federal law.

Feel free to post more questions.

Again, these do not "make up" for missed drills, they just go towards retirement points. In other words, these courses are done in addition to your minimum of 6 drills and AT each year.

Correct for atrrs online courses -- the goal is to max out the needed 50 good year points only.

But just to make clear for anyone following this conversation.

While it is CO dependent, The Flex training policy as written, and indeed my current unit CO, allows for Constructive Attendance (CA) in lieu showing up to the IDT weekend. This is not online army courses, but may be online CME.

Shown here section 4, a. :
http://i.imgur.com/ilDlY.jpg

And examples of CA follows it:
http://i.imgur.com/5rVw3.jpg

It'll be state- and command-dependent, but going into residency looking to do "minimum drill time" probably isn't a very healthy approach. It might be better to expect to drill every month with the exception of drills you absolutely can't make due to schedule inflexibility. Most commands are going to be very accommodating with that.

oh wow, yeah I was typing pretty fast and didn't mean that implication. Basically just stating that I was going to drill in person when I could and wanted the backup of knowing how flexible I can get for "good year points" and IDT/AT equivalents.

It's not too hard. Even when you're doing surgery or internal medicine months, most programs give you a total of 4 days off and your program can often put two of those together to make a weekend for you to drill.
Quote:

My program is small. not much in the way for this...We are only allowed paid time off on certain rotations, so I actually staggered those through the year to make sure I could hit the minimum flex training time in-person if need be. Putting two days together on the other rotations would create a bit of a nightmare in coverage.
But I am moving to a Med Command this month with multiple drill dates each month, so maybe split training is an option.... one day on two different weekends. We'll see!

If your program isn't willing to put two of your mandated days off together to allow you to drill, it's worth having a conversation with them, as them allowing you to attend drill is federal law.

I hope to never have to use that ace in my pocket. Don't want to burn bridges for future military at my program.

My state's AMEDD HQ has actually told me that if I run into a CO that won't work with me on this, they will transfer me to a new unit. My current unit would mean a 2-3 hour drive when I have to show up, but would also allow me to get the flex-training minimum via CME if I wanted plus show up on my rotations that I can go to weekends on. So I've got that backup...don't really want to drive.

Still, I'd rather actually be "in" the guard while in Residency than checking off a list.

Thanks for the discussion, it gives me a lot to consider. Also thanks for the input on the online courses.

Last edited:
What is the word on credentialing during Residency? As an intern can I get ARNG privileges as a provider in my unit for even just GMO type stuff?

Basically, what does the ARNG view me during PGY1 and then subsequent years???

Im about 4 months into hopefully getting to physical so I can do mdssp. Just wondering on weekend drills if your unit is local do you spend all 48 hrs typically with your unit? Just wondering if you bunk there over the weekend or go home and show up like going to work at the hospital.

Im about 4 months into hopefully getting to physical so I can do mdssp. Just wondering on weekend drills if your unit is local do you spend all 48 hrs typically with your unit? Just wondering if you bunk there over the weekend or go home and show up like going to work at the hospital.

You're in a for a surprise ;)

If you live 51 miles away, then you will be given a paid hotel room (you're lower rank so you get an officer roommate). If you do not, you drive there and back. Normal day will be 7am to 5pm. Long days are 5am-9pm. Those are rare I'm told, though I've already had one.

You will spend a Saturday, go home.Then come back Sunday. 16ish hours for a normal weekend.

As a medical student, you'll hopefully be told "we don't know what to do with you, go study". If you are anywhere close to graduating, everyone all of sudden will think you are a doctor already and you'll spend the remainder of your time explaining that you are almost an MD but only kind of an MD that still needs more training.

ALWAYS bring something to read. ALWAYS bring a cell phone charger. The latter may not get a chance to use often, but the former is how you pass some days as a med student.

I had to go through CAQH. It is an online database that does credentialing for a lot of civilian hospitals as well as the ARNG. It is dependent on your licensure status. If your state issues licenses to PGY 1 trainees, then you will be approved and can do PHAs and Chapter 2 physicals at drill. Otherwise, you do what a med student does until you're credentialed.

Hi all,
I've been looking through this thread, and I was wondering if the Army National guard offers anything currently that resembles the ASR in terms of financial assistance, obligation, civilian residency, and deployment. A friend of mine is a 3rd year ASR med student who first introduced me to these options, and I've tried to get in touch with my local Amedd recruiter to ask some questions to no avail. If anyone could give me a little bit of insight, or direct me to someone that could answer my question, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I've been looking through this thread, and I was wondering if the Army National guard offers anything currently that resembles the ASR in terms of financial assistance, obligation, civilian residency, and deployment.
No, there's nothing like it, and its highly doubtful there will be again. Since ASR, which was extremely expensive, the Army has focused on recruiting physicians > residents >>> medical students (which makes lots of sense). So I doubt we'll see many new offerings from medical students in the near future. Instead, incentives have just been increasing for recruiting physicians.
A friend of mine is a 3rd year ASR med student who first introduced me to these options, and I've tried to get in touch with my local Amedd recruiter to ask some questions to no avail.
What do you mean by "to no avail"? I'd go back to your buddy to ask if there's anyone else he can send you to. If he takes his job seriously (and some of us ASRs actually do), he should light a fire under the recruiter.

Other than that, just google MDSSP and STRAP (and read about them on this thread), the only two incentive programs for medical students and residents, respectively. Taking either incurs a 1 year obligation of drilling status for every 6 months of benefits (which comes to about $2k/month). The obligation payback comes immediately after residency. If you take STRAP and MDSSP both together, MDSSP becomes a 1:1 payback (while STRAP is still 2:1). So if you took 3 years of MDSSP or three years of STRAP, you'd pay back 6 years drilling status after residency. If you took 3 years of MDSSP followed by three years of STRAP, you'd owe 9 years after residency.

If you have other questions, feel free to post them here. Also contact your ASR buddy. Also just call 800-Go-Guard and ask for the contact info for your state's AMEDD officer recruiter, which may turn out to be someone different.

And feel free to keep contacting whoever you were sent to. Being pushy typically pays with these guys, unless you have an extensive arrest records, diabetes, multiple chapter 11's or some other red flags that is making him slow to work with you.