Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there is- thanks for the clarification, that was very helpful.

btw, I just got back my RPAS (Retirement Points a? s?) that shows my retirement points at a 1 for 3 as discussed for online learning. It seems to be working.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone heading out to san antonio for BOLC this june? :) after a long and rough first year, i'm looking forward to this training

any tips from previous soldiers who went through the process before already?

If you flip through this thread, folks did a great job at posting a week by week report from BOLC. It also included suggestion on stuff to bring and stuff to not bother with. If you read over that and have any more questions, post 'em here. I remember us hashing this out quite a bit before I went and I found the information very valuable.

Bring a book or three. Crazy amounts of downtime, great chance to get caught up on some non-medical reading.

Other than that, buy some comfortable boots and try to enjoy the experience. It can be fun if you let your self enjoy it. I think they even have showers now...

If you flip through this thread, folks did a great job at posting a week by week report from BOLC. It also included suggestion on stuff to bring and stuff to not bother with. If you read over that and have any more questions, post 'em here. I remember us hashing this out quite a bit before I went and I found the information very valuable.

there are quite a few pages in this thread (64...) any chance that you have a pointer on which pages are relevant?

there are quite a few pages in this thread (64...) any chance that you have a pointer on which pages are relevant?
Go to the posts starting July 2, 2010 (page 53 for me). TheWholeTooth and DeadCactus did some good summaries of BOLC. And others followed...

Greetings all, I know this is probably a long shot, but would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling on applying for the MDSSP or any similar type programs (not HPSP). I will be starting medical school at Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health this August and would like to dig further into this option. I have been trying in vain to get anyone within the Army to point me in the right direction, but all recruiters I've spoken to (Active Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, Army AMEDD) get this tone of "what the hell are you talking about son" in their voice when I ask them about any sort of stipend program while in Medical School, and they all defer back to the HPSP. I am prior active Army service (so I am well aware of the bureaucracy in the military) and currently living in Arizona but will travel to Wisconsin this August; if this information helps you help me. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

The easiest route is to call 800-Go-Guard and ask for the AMEDD Officer Recruiter for WI. This recruiter is your first touch to get you started. Let us know if you have more questions as you go through the process...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you sign up without taking MDSSP, how long are you obligated for?

anytime you join any branch you will have an 8 year military service obligation (MSO) - you can do inactive ready reserves (IRR) your last two years but i think you will give up your 90 days boots on the grounds protection if you do.

med school and residency count towards those 8 years FYI, so in theory you can come out with no further obligation

anytime you join any branch you will have an 8 year military service obligation (MSO) - you can do inactive ready reserves (IRR) your last two years but i think you will give up your 90 days boots on the grounds protection if you do.
If you are called up while in active drilling status, you are covered by the policies of the Guard or Reserve (90 days boots on ground). If you are under IRR, in the highly unlikely event of a recall, it would be to active army and under their deployment schedule (read: a hell of a lot longer.

Do MDSSP recipients get their stipend at the beginning of every month or do they get it only after they do drill? And also does anyone know how much extra you would get if you were prior enlisted? Thank you.

Do MDSSP recipients get their stipend at the beginning of every month or do they get it only after they do drill? And also does anyone know how much extra you would get if you were prior enlisted? Thank you.

stipend is not dependent on drill...

from what i understand the prior enlisted will only boost your drill pay

note: i posted this post already in the important new GI bill accessions thread - that post is now deleted since i wasn't getting any help? i reposted it here though...if this is not allowed, please let me know - just wanted some help on this issue. thanks!

----

hello! i was wondering if you guys could help a newbie out with the confusing beast that is the GI Bill...

i joined the National Guard as a medical student last year, and i am starting my second year of medical school this coming fall. i am a non prior service, as well as non-ASR, so i just did one year of continual drilling in the military. i just attended BOLC this past summer which (I was told) qualifies me for the GI Bill. i had a couple of questions though about the GI Bill and whether I'd be able to take multiple, etc. i'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out.

1. which GI Bills would i be eligible for? i am not active duty, so i'm guessing this would take out the post 9-11 GI bill? would i be eligible for chapter 1606? there are quite a few that it's confusing
2. if a soldier is eligible for multiple GI bills, can he/she take them concurrently?
3. what is the kicker that everyone is mentioning? i thought you had to have a certain MOS (critical one) in order to be eligible for the Guard kicker, but that might not be the same incentive program that others are talking about
4. is there an application process for the GI Bill? forms to file? timeline?
5. the E-5 BAH at my location, while not super high, would definitely help in terms of my rent and what not...would i be eligible for this, and if so, how can i go about filing for it?
6. is it better to wait until residency to take the GI Bill? many forum posters have mentioned that they are in residency now (at the time of posting) and elected to take the GI Bill then...it seems that the pay from the bill would be much higher for me when i'm in residency, since i will have accumulated four years of "good year" service. is it recommended to just take the money now at a smaller payout, or wait until later?
7. how much does the typical medical/dental student in my position get from the GI Bill, both percentage wise and cost?

thanks again everyone...really appreciate you guys taking the time.  i am trying to set up a meeting with my veterans affairs counselor, but she didn't seem as knowledgeable about AMEDD benefits as compared to other branches...thanks again!

Your average medical school guard member with no prior service is only going to qualify for Chapter 1606 (MGIB-SR).

High points:
* $345.00/month for up to 36 months
* If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation.
* You have a total of 36 months of benefits across all GI Bill programs. If you use your 36 months on the MGIB-SR, you won't be able to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill should you later qualify for it.

Your average medical school guard member with no prior service is only going to qualify for Chapter 1606 (MGIB-SR).

High points:
* $345.00/month for up to 36 months
* If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation.
* You have a total of 36 months of benefits across all GI Bill programs. If you use your 36 months on the MGIB-SR, you won't be able to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill should you later qualify for it.

DeadCactus,

thanks for your reply. so my MSO is 8 years (now have 7 years left), so does this mean that if i take the gi bill for the next 3 years of med school, i will have to serve 6 years in addition to the 8 i already have in my contract (so 14 years total)? or does the 6 years start once i stop taking the gi bill (for example, i take the gi bill for the 3 years of remaining med school, and so my 6 year obligation starts from that point on, served concurrently with the remaining 4 years of my original obligation)

i'm not sure if i'm making sense...but forgive me, as this is fairly confusing to me :/

so my MSO is 8 years (now have 7 years left), so does this mean that if i take the gi bill for the next 3 years of med school, i will have to serve 6 years in addition to the 8 i already have in my contract (so 14 years total)? or does the 6 years start once i stop taking the gi bill (for example, i take the gi bill for the 3 years of remaining med school, and so my 6 year obligation starts from that point on, served concurrently with the remaining 4 years of my original obligation)
The latter. The GI Bill is not an added obligation to the obligation you already hold, it's a requirement that you have a certain number of years you will serve. If that makes sense.

It's worth everyone taking a good read at DC's 3rd point. If you take the GI Bill for residency, you're likely going to be in the Guard for a bit post-residency. If you're in the Guard post-residency, there's a good chance you'll be deployed. If you are deployed, you will likely qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which can be passed on to your children.

Unless I was extremely confident that a) I will be leaving the Guard before any chance of deploying AND b) I will not be having children, I would be very cautious about signing away the chance of the post-9/11 GI Bill for my children's college for the sake of $12K in short-term benefits.

The latter. The GI Bill is not an added obligation to the obligation you already hold, it's a requirement that you have a certain number of years you will serve. If that makes sense.

It's worth everyone taking a good read at DC's 3rd point. If you take the GI Bill for residency, you're likely going to be in the Guard for a bit post-residency. If you're in the Guard post-residency, there's a good chance you'll be deployed. If you are deployed, you will likely qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which can be passed on to your children.

Unless I was extremely confident that a) I will be leaving the Guard before any chance of deploying AND b) I will not be having children, I would be very cautious about signing away the chance of the post-9/11 GI Bill for my children's college for the sake of $12K in short-term benefits.

thank you for your reply. you've given me quite a bit to think about...i'm planning on staying in the guard past my 8 years, so the post 9/11 GI Bill sounds like a much better deal than the chapter 1606. however, i had a question regarding one of the points that you mentioned. let's say that instead of taking the GI Bill for med school, i take it for residency. if i take the GI bill for 3 years during that time frame, how would i qualify for the post 9/11 GI Bill (let's say that I do get deployed)? my understanding is that you can only take out 3 years of any GI bill...so according to the situation you mentioned, it would have to be a partial GI bill during residency, and having the remainder in the form of post 9/11 GI bill for my children correct? also, is there a timeframe that i would have to use the post 9/11 GI bill, like say 10 years after i separate from the guard?

thanks again!

This thread is 65 pages long :(. I have a few questions for those who wouldnt mind helping me out. I know a great deal about HPSP and USHUS, but almost completely ignorant of ARNG medicine and programs

1. As a physician in the ARNG are you only obligated to do ARNG work on weekends or a few weeks a year? If so then you probably have time to join civilian practice right?

2. How are physicians in the ARNG paid? Do they have the same salary as full time active duty army physicians?

3. What programs and stipends does the ARNG offer for med students? I heard about the MDSSP . What other kind of loan assistance, stipends, and GI bills would I qualify for?

4. Also can you get BAH and BAS

Last edited:
let's say that instead of taking the GI Bill for med school, i take it for residency. if i take the GI bill for 3 years during that time frame, how would i qualify for the post 9/11 GI Bill (let's say that I do get deployed)? my understanding is that you can only take out 3 years of any GI bill...so according to the situation you mentioned, it would have to be a partial GI bill during residency, and having the remainder in the form of post 9/11 GI bill for my children correct?
You do indeed have a limit to how many years you can take the GI Bill (3 years), and if you exhaust it for short-term gain (Ch 1606), you'll be SOL if you would have otherwise qualified for the Post-9/11 GI Bill after a deployment.
also, is there a timeframe that i would have to use the post 9/11 GI bill, like say 10 years after i separate from the guard?
Yes. The deal isn't as sweet as it sounds. You need to serve an additional 4 years from the time you transfer over the benefits. Your wife can use it up to 15 years after you resign and your child can use it up to the age of 26yo, but they can't use it until you've hit the 10 years of service mark. There's a full listing of the program here.

1. As a physician in the ARNG are you only obligated to do ARNG work on weekends or a few weeks a year? If so then you probably have time to join civilian practice right?
You are obligated to drill approximately 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year, but you can also be ACTIVATED in case of natural disaster or war. ARNG docs are activated right now for up to 120 days as frequently as every two years.

It's a part-time job, so you will need a civilian practice. Guard service doesn't prevent this, though it can make working for a solo or small practice tricky, since deployments could be pretty financially crippling to the practice.
2. How are physicians in the ARNG paid? Do they have the same salary as full time active duty army physicians?
They do when they are activated (though probably not as much as your typical active duty doc, since they have some incentive pay they can get for promising to serve longer periods than Guard docs.

When you are not activated, you get paid drill pay according to your rank. I get about $550/month before taxes as a resident when I do a 2 day drill. You can google to see tables of pay examples.
3. What programs and stipends does the ARNG offer for med students? I heard about the MDSSP . What other kind of loan assistance, stipends, and GI bills would I qualify for?
MDSSP is all that you would qualify for as a medical student. You get a stipend of about $2K/month while in medical school. You owe the national guard 2 years of drilling status service for every 1 year of benefits you get. These are paid back AFTER you finish residency.

As a resident, you can get a similar program called STRAP (same type of repayment schedule) and after residency you can get HPLRP ($40K/year loan repayment for every year of service after you've paid back other obligations). You can do a search within this specific thread on one or more of these terms and it will flush them out.
4. Also can you get BAH and BAS
You get these when you are activated or on missions. Otherwise, you get drill pay, which again, you can google.

To be honest, Lui Kang, I think your history of heat stroke when exercising in hot weather is likely going to be a deal killer. A history of heat stroke is disqalifying for the Army and likely other branches as well.

Just got back from my first AT, which is really the first real training of any sort that I've done thus far since I haven't been to BOLC/OBC. I had a good time. Mostly consisted of rifle range, obstacle course, road march/land nav, and MOUT site training. I figured that if it ever gets to the point that I'm the one kicking in the doors, we already lost the war. However, I was informed by a PA in our unit that if you deploy to a FOB as a provider, it is likely you will be the highest ranking officer there and basically in charge of the place. He said he spent a decent amount of time outside the wire as the battalion surgeon when he was in Afghanistan last year. That's probably not news to anyone that has already deployed, but I found it interesting as a newbie.

You are obligated to drill approximately 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year, but you can also be ACTIVATED in case of natural disaster or war. ARNG docs are activated right now for up to 120 days as frequently as every two years.

It's a part-time job, so you will need a civilian practice. Guard service doesn't prevent this, though it can make working for a solo or small practice tricky, since deployments could be pretty financially crippling to the practice.l.

So is it practical to work for a small practice, If you are in the national guard? seems like taking off for 4 months would be a deal breaker for most employers. Would it be hard to find a job, or could you just not mention that you are in the national guard?

So is it practical to work for a small practice, If you are in the national guard?
Depends on how small you define "small." It also depends on how big a hit your partners are willing to take for when you deploy.
seems like taking off for 4 moths would be a deal breaker for most employers.
It depends on the employer. Small practices this would be a big hit. For a large practice, not so much.
Would it be hard to find a job, or could you just not mention that you are in the national guard?
Lying by ommission would be bad juju. You end up having to get time off for drill and self-disclose, which will make your employer think you a liar, conniving, and not to be trusted. When your time comes that you get called up, your fellow employees are more likely to resent you rather than shoulder your load (and it will be a load).

Be upfront. Only work for practices that are accommodating to your military obligation. You'll get better employers and they'll get a better employee.

Not dead yet, thanks for all of your help. For the hplrp, you said I could get this only after I have paid back other obligations. Can i get the hplrp only after I finish my 8 years of guard duty if I take the Mdssp? I know I could get the Hplrp after residency, but does taking the hrplrp add any commitment time? For example, If I have 80,000 in med school loans, can I take 2 years of the hplrp to help pay that off, or is it a 6 year commitment for taking the hplrp no matter how many loans I have?

Last edited:
You have to finish any obligations before you can get the hplrp with one exception. If you take strap during residency, you can apply for hplrp at the beginning of your 3rd year of residency and take it each year thereafter until your residency is done. So for FP, IM, you would get one $40,000 payment, then have to finish your MDSSP/STRAP payback before getting more loan repayment.

You have to finish any obligations before you can get the hplrp with one exception. If you take strap during residency, you can apply for hplrp at the beginning of your 3rd year of residency and take it each year thereafter until your residency is done. So for FP, IM, you would get one $40,000 payment, then have to finish your MDSSP/STRAP payback before getting more loan repayment.

Ok so is it the same commitment time for hplrp no matter the amount of loans I have? Could a person with only 80,000 in loans take two years of the hplrp?

Ok so is it the same commitment time for hplrp no matter the amount of loans I have? Could a person with only 80,000 in loans take two years of the hplrp?

If you take it as part of the STRAP program, it doesn't add any time to your obligation (I believe). It usually spells this out in the latest version of the officer incentives memo

HPLRP is a little funky, because it is not actually obligating.

Here's how it works:

Once you're board certified, you can tell the Guard "Hey, I want HPLRP!" They give you the paperwork and you sign it. One year later, $40K is paid to your federal loans. It is NOT obligating. Meaning, if six months from signature you say, "Nah, never mind..." then you can still leave the Guard, but you don't get the money paid off your loans? Make sense?

The only exception to board certified folks is if you're in residency AND taking STRAP. If that's the case, then in R3 or above, you can take HPLRP. So if you did a General Surgery residency, in R3, R4, and R5, you could get HPLRP $40K each of those years. This does not add any time to the obligation you'd owe for STRAP (which if you did for all of residency, you'd owe 10 years drilling). You can also continue with HPLRP for three more years right after residency, if you wanted, for another $120K total, but those three years that you took HPLRP post-residency would not count towards your 10 year STRAP payback.

All clear?

HPLRP is a little funky, because it is not actually obligating.

Here's how it works:

Once you're board certified, you can tell the Guard "Hey, I want HPLRP!" They give you the paperwork and you sign it. One year later, $40K is paid to your federal loans. It is NOT obligating. Meaning, if six months from signature you say, "Nah, never mind..." then you can still leave the Guard, but you don't get the money paid off your loans? Make sense?

The only exception to board certified folks is if you're in residency AND taking STRAP. If that's the case, then in R3 or above, you can take HPLRP. So if you did a General Surgery residency, in R3, R4, and R5, you could get HPLRP $40K each of those years. This does not add any time to the obligation you'd owe for STRAP (which if you did for all of residency, you'd owe 10 years drilling). You can also continue with HPLRP for three more years right after residency, if you wanted, for another $120K total, but those three years that you took HPLRP post-residency would not count towards your 10 year STRAP payback.

All clear?

So we can push back the start of the payback phase of strap to get more hplrp? I was unaware of this

Has anyone in the guard done a rotation at a military hospital? If so were you able to get your state to pay for travel and lodging like HPSP students.

Anyone heard about annual training expanding from two weeks a year to seven weeks a year?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2012-07-30/army-guard-reserve-training/56595948/1

I'm guessing that docs, dentists, and PAs will be protected from this by the existing policies that govern equivalent training, etc., even if their unit gets more AT. But still. I can hardly sell two weeks a year -- SEVEN? On top of a weekend a month? Anyone else think this *might* have an effect on healthcare recruiting?

So we can push back the start of the payback phase of strap to get more hplrp? I was unaware of this
I was told yes by a recruiter who had a slide demonstrating this as an option, but I have not seen it done nor seen a policy doc allowing this, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Has anyone in the guard done a rotation at a military hospital? If so were you able to get your state to pay for travel and lodging like HPSP students.
Guard folks get the same priority as civilians, so it's on a case-by-case basis after no HPSP/USUHS students get their pick. I've never heard of the state putting you on orders for travel, lodging, or pay. With today's climate, I'd be surprised to see it happen.

Anyone heard about annual training expanding from two weeks a year to seven weeks a year?
Your post is the first I've seen of it, though it's starting to make its way around the web.

I'm not particularly worried about it right now. Currently, declining military budget means cutting back, not expanding. So all PR and recruiting aside, I'd be very surprised if the Guard was given the increased budget that a 7 week AT every year would require.
I'm guessing that docs, dentists, and PAs will be protected from this by the existing policies that govern equivalent training, etc., even if their unit gets more AT.
If they ever implemented a 7 week drill policy, they'd have to rewrite the policy for healthcare folks, as the old one wouldn't apply. There wouldn't be any "grandfathering." The AT policy for docs is a policy, not in the contract. It can be changed with the sweep of a pen.

We'll see. I may be wrong, but I just can't imagine where they'll get the money for this, and there will be an uproar from a bunch of returning and battle-weary Guardsmen and Reservists.

Your post is the first I've seen of it, though it's starting to make its way around the web.

I'm not particularly worried about it right now. Currently, declining military budget means cutting back, not expanding. So all PR and recruiting aside, I'd be very surprised if the Guard was given the increased budget that a 7 week AT every year would require.

The AT policy for docs is a policy, not in the contract. It can be changed with the sweep of a pen.

We'll see. I may be wrong, but I just can't imagine where they'll get the money for this, and there will be an uproar from a bunch of returning and battle-weary Guardsmen and Reservists.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I would imagine the policy would be applied to this, at least for healthcare docs. I can't imagine DOD having money to pay all these officers for 3.5x longer AT than in the past. Still. Even just the rumor of the possibility of up to another 63 days/year is going to freak people out. (I heard about this first from two potentials I've been working on. They're both now decidedly less motivated to finish their packets. Aaargh.)

Hey guys, third year here with a question. Does anyone have any experience as a guardsman doing civilian medical school -> military residency -> civilian attending? I'm at the very least considering this option.

My specific questions are the following. Does the Army favor active duty medical students over members of the ARNG? If I don't match into the specialty of my choice, am I forced to go into a GMO tour or can I stay in the civilian match? Can I even stay in the civilian match if I try to match into the Army?

Thanks.

Hey guys, third year here with a question. Does anyone have any experience as a guardsman doing civilian medical school -> military residency -> civilian attending? I'm at the very least considering this option.
It doesn't work this way. Military residencies are for full time military. You could probably work out a deal where you could convert from Guard to full time military for residency, but you'd owe them four or so years full time active duty service after.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2012-07-30/army-guard-reserve-training/56595948/1

I'm guessing that docs, dentists, and PAs will be protected from this by the existing policies that govern equivalent training, etc., even if their unit gets more AT. But still. I can hardly sell two weeks a year -- SEVEN? On top of a weekend a month? Anyone else think this *might* have an effect on healthcare recruiting?

This article indicates that is only a proposal and, if adopted, would apply only to select units:

"I think there may be a slight misunderstanding. General Odierno spoke of selected units that will be doing extra time in preparation for theater engagement operations and other things that will happen following the drawdown of the war. The vast majority of the Army National Guard will go back to one weekend a month and two weeks annual training as well as schools and other professional education that soldiers do throughout their career.

So here's how we read it - Instead of 2 weeks of annual training a year, select units could do 7 weeks for training. However, it wouldn't be every unit. It could go one of two ways. Either a unit closer to the end of an ARFORGEN cycle getting ready to deploy could get additional training or a unit in the beginning of ARFORGEN that needs to train on a new or different mission could get additional training."

http://nationalguardassociation.blogspot.com/2012/08/army-to-increase-national-guard.html

If your only service in the Guard is as a medical student, you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill- Selective Reserve (aka Chapter 1606). This pays out at $337/month. You can take this benefit only after completing BOLC and you'll need to have 6 years service ahead of you after you take it.

Everyone is eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance (which comes to $4500/year). Other specific states have additional tuition benefits.

The site on the Montgomery GI Bill says that, to be eligible for benefits, "If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation." See http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/montgomery_gibill/selected_reserve.html So, if I signed up for a standard 8 year hitch, no MDSSP, it seems like I would not be eligible for benefits unless I signed up for an additional 6 years, even if I had 6+ years remaining after completing BOLC. Is that right?

Also, re: FTA, the $250/credit hour limit and the 45 hour cap (see http://www.nationalguard.com/life/education-benefits/federal-tuition-assistance) seem to effectively limit FTA to the first 2.5 years of med school (i.e., $250/hr*18hrs=$4500 in MS1 and MS2, plus $250/hr*9hrs=$2250 in MS3, then the 45hr cap is hit). Does that seem correct?

Finally, I understand that residents are not deployable under current policy, and that decisions are made re: fellows on a case by case basis. Assuming someone is deployed during a residency or a fellowship, what are the legal obligations of the institution operating the residency or fellowship following the conclusion of that deployment? Do they have to make room for the formerly deployed resident/fellow in the next class so he can continue on, albeit one year later?

I know this was discussed some a few years back, but I could not find it in a search. Feel free to redirect me if this has been done already. I am at the end of residency interviews and am trying to assemble a rank list, and knowing something about local drill sites would be helpful. I am most interested in Albany/NY, Portland/OR, Grand Rapids/MI, Richmond/VA, Dannville/PA, Springfield/MA (but this is not just about me so please fill in what states you know about).

I will start it out w/ a review of my current state.

KY

-Locations:
All med students and residents drill with the Med Command. If you live east of I-65 you drill in Lexington (bluegrass depot), west of I-65 drills in Greenville (Wendell H Ford Reserve Training Center)
-Drill requirements: once quarterly drill, with 16 hrs CME turned in for months you can not make drill. AT can be broken up to fit your schedule.
-Normal schedule: Sat: Chapter 2 physicals, and PHA's, Sun: required classroom training, rare PT - officers not required to participate.
-AGR support: improved, but still be difficult to get help scheduling schools, fixing pay issues, promotions...

Hi,
I have certain questions I will very much appreciate answers to. I was recently admitted into a medical school in Virginia but a resident of Connecticut. I tried joining the AMEDD program but I am unable to because I am a greencard holder. I talked to a recruiter and his advice was that I enlist in the national guard (go for boot camp and finish my AIT) receive my US citizenship and finally apply for the AMEDD program. And I did after talking to a few people.

I will however like to hear your opinions if this is a good idea. I finish basic training and AIT mid July and leave for medical school in 2nd August. If Interstate transfer delays I will have to be coming to CT to drill with my unit which will definitely but hectic for a medical student. However early or easy is it to get into AMEDD program after obtaining my citizenship.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

I will however like to hear your opinions if this is a good idea. I finish basic training and AIT mid July and leave for medical school in 2nd August. If Interstate transfer delays I will have to be coming to CT to drill with my unit which will definitely but hectic for a medical student.
Well, there's not much you can do about it now. For the sake of future applicants (and this has come up before), joining the Guard in a non med student capacity tends to be a bad idea. Once you finish BCT and get MOS qualified, you have duties that are hard to shrug off.

If you go to medical school, will you be able to get into a medical student MOS? If so, this should make you qualified for flexi-training (drill as little as every other month) and you should also be non-deployable. If you hold an MOS and they won't switch you to medical student MOS, you would not qualify for flexi-training and you will would be deployable. Not good.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask...

Thanks for the response....So there is no way to back out of this? hmmm...feel very deceived..I have been talking to recruiters for weeks and AMEDD recruiters as well...All i hear is enlist first and everything should flow...I gave myself enough time to finish basics and AIT but from your response I sense I am in for a deferment of med school if it becomes impossible to drill...

Anyway I might be getting it confused but can I apply for the AMEDD program after I am back from basics? And what is the timeline for getting accepted into the AMEDD program. Once again thanks for the response

I am a Basic Combat Training commander. You need to speak with your recruiting battalion commander immediately, not CSM, not 1SG. You need to speak with LTC x immediately and have him get you out of your contract (a good company commander would work as well, but the recruiters and enlisted guys won't realize the magnitude of your timeline). Here is why. Suppose you get hurt at any point in this process, which is more likely than you think. You will not be able to use the phone and let your med school know that you are going to be delayed and the Army is not going to let you out of training just because you are hurt and have a med school start date. To be honest, your drill sgts aren't going to believe that you are accepted into med school and aren't going to care. Neither will your recruiter. You need to speak with your the recruiting battalion commander (you may be able to find his phone number online) and get your contract revoked. Think of it like this: if anything goes wrong during this process and you are held up, you will have missed starting med school without being granted a deferment and not only screwed yourself for the upcoming year, but likely for the future as well. The bottom line is that you need to get out of this contract immediately because if everything doesn't work out perfectly you are screwed, period. Also, as long as you haven't received money, you should be able to get out of this regardless of what they say. Your REAL swearing in comes immediately before boarding the bus. Get out of this as fast as possible. Don't hesitate to PM me.

I cant PM you because i don't have enough post I think. I have not received any money. But this weekend I attended recruitment sustenance drill that is performed for new recruits in connecticut before they leave. My ship out date is 3rd March. I will get in contact with the recruiting battalion commander immediately. I need to find his or her number one way or another.

I will call the army national guard and see if I can get the recruiting battalion commander's number for connecticut. If anyone knows any directory I can locate the number will be helpful as well. Thanks for the response.

What if I am not release from my contract or discharged dishonorably. Am I totally screwed for life?

Thanks

All i hear is enlist first and everything should flow...I gave myself enough time to finish basics and AIT but from your response I sense I am in for a deferment of med school if it becomes impossible to drill...
People handle drill and med school fine. It's do-able, it's just a lot easier as a medical student rather than MOS qualified student.
Anyway I might be getting it confused but can I apply for the AMEDD program after I am back from basics? And what is the timeline for getting accepted into the AMEDD program.
What are you talking about when you say the "AMEDD program?" I'm not sure what you mean. You can join as a medical student and just drill or you can take funds as a medical student that require obligated payback by drilling throughout and after residency (google MDSSP).

But both require you to be an officer and therefore both will require you to be a U.S. citizen. So you can either try to get out of your enlistment (which you need to do before shipping off to basic) or serve it out and try to switch to direct commission to a med student MOS after you have your citizenship in hand. I don't know folks who have gone the latter route and can't give you advice on that.