Army OBLC Summer 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyDDS2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Army folks,

I'm debating whether to do OBLC this summer (before dental school starts) or after I graduate. Can anyone with any information or experience tell me if it's better to just go now and get it out of the way? I've also heard it's longer 8 weeks compared to 6 if i go after graduation.

Also if I decide to go this summer in June, can anyone give me suggestions on what to bring or have in form of paper work. I just commissioned and have no prior military service so I'm basically new to everything. A little guidance is all I'm asking :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking care of it as soon as you can. If you decide to specialize the fact you haven't completed OBLC could potentially postpone your training. Some programs begin prior to the completion date of OBLC, therefore, if you have not completed the training you would have to wait a year. I heard the same thing about an 8 week vs. 6 week OBLC training, I don't believe it is true; there were 60+ graduated dental students in my group and we all finished at the same time (6 weeks).

As for what to bring...they will send you a list of supplies. The best advice I can give you is to get your boots early enough to break them in. There were a lot of people with blisters and sore feet. You will need to bring your immunization records; any shots you still need they will administer. It's not too bad, there are some days that sucked. Be prepared to hurry and then wait. Learn how to prepare and wear a beret ( http://www.army.mil/publications/soldiersmagazine/HotTopics/media/spring01.pdf ) this a link for information about the beret.

Also remember you are in a city and there are plenty of opportunities to buy anything you decide you need. Overall, it was a good experience, go with the flow and don't let anything bother you too much...it's Army.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend taking care of it as soon as you can. If you decide to specialize the fact you haven't completed OBLC could potentially postpone your training. Some programs begin prior to the completion date of OBLC, therefore, if you have not completed the training you would have to wait a year. I heard the same thing about an 8 week vs. 6 week OBLC training, I don't believe it is true; there were 60+ graduated dental students in my group and we all finished at the same time (6 weeks).

As for what to bring...they will send you a list of supplies. The best advice I can give you is to get your boots early enough to break them in. There were a lot of people with blisters and sore feet. You will need to bring your immunization records; any shots you still need they will administer. It's not too bad, there are some days that sucked. Be prepared to hurry and then wait. Learn how to prepare and wear a beret ( http://www.army.mil/publications/soldiersmagazine/HotTopics/media/spring01.pdf ) this a link for information about the beret.

Also remember you are in a city and there are plenty of opportunities to buy anything you decide you need. Overall, it was a good experience, go with the flow and don't let anything bother you too much...it's Army.

Thanks great info! Were there a lot of students at OBLC there prior to starting dschool or med schooL?

No, there were only 2-3 dental maybe, not sure about med students. Most were students that just graduated. I see the link they included above, maybe they have changed or started enforcing the additional weeks?

Last edited:
Great info on the links although slightly confusing.

It looks like OBLC after dental school is 8 weeks and only with <10 students per date. That would be intense I think.

What goes on in that addition 2 weeks for dental grads?

It would actually be more than ten students. The slots listed are just those for the dentists in the class. The same class also has physicians, pharmacists, etc. which are listed separately in the ATRRS catalog.

No, there were only 2-3 dental maybe, not sure about med students. Most were students that just graduated. I see the link they included above, maybe they have changed or started enforcing the additional weeks?

Your HPSP class may not have been full or their class may have been below the minimum and they were then rolled into your class. A lot of times, the Army cancels or combines classes (any course, not just OBLC) which are projected in ATRRS.

Is anyone else going to OBLC this summer?

i think i am, but it seems the army is moving........really.....slow..... i was commissioned last month (the whole process took me a little more than a month, so i'd say i was pretty quick on my end), but i'm not sure they can get the paperwork in before the deadline. :smuggrin:

Hey Army dentists,

Can you guys tell me why you selected the army over other services? Besides from the ANG program, I am interested in the Army simply because my father was prior army. I understand the HPSP program, but why the army over AF or Navy? Thanks!

Hey Army dentists,

Can you guys tell me why you selected the army over other services? Besides from the ANG program, I am interested in the Army simply because my father was prior army. I understand the HPSP program, but why the army over AF or Navy? Thanks!

AF is out of 4 year scholarships and the NAVY recruiter never responded to me after 3 e-mails and a phone call. I also don't like water and would hate to be stationed on a ship. There's no particular reason I chose the Army over the others ..haha

I applied to all three programs and the Army loved me the most :) I had no preference really... as long as I get to serve my country and practice dentistry.

Are the dates for OBLC on that website the only offered programs? If so, I won't be able to go because it overlaps with orientation. Looks like after graduation in four years.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Army dentists,

For me I had already been enlisted in the National Guard, so I was familiar with the Army way of things somewhat. The Air Force did not offer 4 yr scholarships when I was applying to school, so they were not an option. With the Navy I just didn't want the hastle of being on ships for 6-9 months at a time every few years.

I applied to all three programs and the Army loved me the most :) I had no preference really... as long as I get to serve my country and practice dentistry.

Are the dates for OBLC on that website the only offered programs? If so, I won't be able to go because it overlaps with orientation. Looks like after graduation in four years.....

There is only 1 possible date for HPSP students every year - that is the late June/July one that runs until the 2nd week in August. If the timing doesn't work out - see if you can work it in next summer. If not I would still recommend taking advantage and doing the summer internships when you can.

The addtional two weeks are "dental" specific. You'll spend the first portion of OBLC learning about the Army, field training exercises, Army's medical department, weapons qual, and so on. The last two weeks are more dental specific. You'll learn about the clinic, advanced education programs, career management for dental officers, etc. You'll attend the Combat Lifesave Course during the last 2 weeks. If you participate in 1-year AEGD you'll get a more advanced version called C4 (combat casualty care course).

Great info on the links although slightly confusing.

It looks like OBLC after dental school is 8 weeks and only with <10 students per date. That would be intense I think.

What goes on in that addition 2 weeks for dental grads?

I atttended the 15 OCT 08 OBLC. There were 250+ students in the company, half of which were nurses. I think most med/dent students went through in the 2 previous classes. Figure graduation to be late May/early June and they can start OBLC in June or August. The 8-10 students are dentists and are in the dental track (dental specific training after regular OBLC). It's not intense at all. OBLC is intense but dental track definitely is not. You start at 0830 to 0900, get about 1.5, some times 2 hours for lunch, and have some more lectures after lunch. At the latest you'll go until 1630. Most days you'll knock off about 1530 to 1600.

If I had not done OBC before graduation, I would have missed out on my residency since I graduated a couple of months late finishing up dental school requirements. I would definitely recommend getting it over with ASAP.

Also...has any other Army dentist found a good reason why they chose the Army over the other services? The Air Force and Navy treat you better (except during initial training in the Navy) and you will be relatively safer during deployments. I guess the Army just feels right...Can somebody give me better reasons for me to tell people when they ask?

The addtional two weeks are "dental" specific. You'll spend the first portion of OBLC learning about the Army, field training exercises, Army's medical department, weapons qual, and so on. The last two weeks are more dental specific. You'll learn about the clinic, advanced education programs, career management for dental officers, etc. You'll attend the Combat Lifesave Course during the last 2 weeks. If you participate in 1-year AEGD you'll get a more advanced version called C4 (combat casualty care course).
If you have to do the extra 2 weeks after the 6 week HPSP OBLC in the summer after dental school would that still allow you to complete an AEGD residency (from what I understand they start first week of August)?

If you have to do the extra 2 weeks after the 6 week HPSP OBLC in the summer after dental school would that still allow you to complete an AEGD residency (from what I understand they start first week of August)?

Yes. The 1 yr AEGD is designed to begin after OBLC is done. The 1 yr AEGD starts in September. Do not worry if you will be done in time - you will. Just make sure you have passed your boards or you can get dropped from the AEGD.

So I'm training aka exercising at the gym in order to get ready for the PFT at oblc.

Can anyone tell me how the pft works? Do we run, then do the sit ups and then push ups all in consecutive order or is there a break time between?

Also can anyone tell me how much PT or marches we have to do in the mornings and how bad they are?

So I'm training aka exercising at the gym in order to get ready for the PFT at oblc.

Can anyone tell me how the pft works? Do we run, then do the sit ups and then push ups all in consecutive order or is there a break time between?

Also can anyone tell me how much PT or marches we have to do in the mornings and how bad they are?

Pushups, sit ups, run w/ 10 minutes between each event.

Just attended last summer. If you pass the original PT test you do PT about 4 times total. There a few weeks in the field where the PT test "underachievers" have to do PT in the morning with groups based on run times. Those that passed the PT test do grappling training. Only had one road march and it was at the very end of field training or so and wasn't very hard. But we did have to get up after about 3 hours of sleep and do it so that we finished before the sun came up after finishing night land nav at 1 am that morning. But it was the last day of being in the field so nobody cared what they threw at us at that point.
If you fail the PT test at the beginning it is really on you to improve before the final PT test. But you have plenty of time in the evenings to work out on your own most days.

If you want to max the pushups and situps, the best wat I found to train is this:

Set your timer on your watch/timer.
Do as many pushups as you can in 2 minutes first. Do them properly and do as many as you can. When you start feeling fatigued, go into the authorized rest position. After a few seconds, crank out another 5-10, resting in between.

Get up and rest one minute.

Do as many pushups as you can in one minute follwoing the above guide.

Get up and rest one minute.

Do as many pushups as you can in 30 seconds, following the same.

WIth situps, its the same idea, 2minutes, 1 minute, 30 seconds, with a 1 minute break in between.

This exercise specifically targets only the muscles you need to pass the test, and nothing more. I'd warm up with this before my regular gym workout. By the end of OBC I maxed out the pushups and did really well on the situps.

If you became a fat sloth like me during school, this will jump start your ability to do pushups and situps.

Hey superman, did you get your orders yet? I have yet to receive any paper work or flight information...

Yes, I got my orders more than a month ago. I got it over mail and also via our AKO e-mail account.

I don't know about flight information as I'm going to be driving down there because my next duty station is Fort Hood.

Hey superman, did you get your orders yet? I have yet to receive any paper work or flight information...

Ah, I just realized that you are doing OBC before dental school. That's good.

Yes, I got my orders more than a month ago. I got it over mail and also via our AKO e-mail account.

I don't know about flight information as I'm going to be driving down there because my next duty station is Fort Hood.

If you're driving yourself, get the proper paperwork for a partial DTY move and get some cash for the fuel and weight cost.

PM me and I can tell you all about Fort Hood. Killeen isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You're not far from Austin and Dallas, and the installation is great.

If you're driving yourself, get the proper paperwork for a partial DTY move and get some cash for the fuel and weight cost.

PM me and I can tell you all about Fort Hood. Killeen isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You're not far from Austin and Dallas, and the installation is great.

Thanks for the info. So, if I submit the paperwork for the partial DTY, will I be reimbursed for fuel, etc. upfront or after I submit receipts? And where can I get this partial DTY paperwork?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. So, if I submit the paperwork for the partial DTY, will I be reimbursed for fuel, etc. upfront or after I submit receipts? And where can I get this partial DTY paperwork?

Thanks again.

Its been so long, I can't remember. Krmower should be able to help you out with this.

Basically what I remember is that you load your car up, you drive to a military installation where your vehicle is weighed, you drive down to your duty station, then submit your paperwork (to DFAS in Indiana I would assume), to include fuel receipts. I think you just use the regular travel voucher (you'll learn about these in OBLC). DFAS Indiana then reimburses you directly...direct deposit is what they prefer and 10x faster than a check.

This may be all in the HPSP manual.

Last edited: