Army or Navy Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of the posts in this forum are based on physicians, but are there any military pharmacists in here? If so, what was your path to the military? Scholarships like the HPSP for the Navy or Army? Residency in the military? Anyone with any knowledge of military pharmacy feel free to post.

Members don't see this ad.

TrojanMan48 said:
I've noticed a lot of the posts in this forum are based on physicians, but are there any military pharmacists in here? If so, what was your path to the military? Scholarships like the HPSP for the Navy or Army? Residency in the military? Anyone with any knowledge of military pharmacy feel free to post.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but this forum is listed under GRADUATE MEDICAL FORUMS, not under the UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE FORUMS. This is likely why you won't find any information of that here. HELLO! (You know, these pharmacists waste my time trying to play doctor all day with nonsense phone calls all day about medication they supposedly know...no wonder such a ******* thread was started by, guess who, a pharmacist.)

Sounds like someone hasn't been layed in awhile or more probably never. It hurts when you've been shot down by every nurse you've tried to layed pipe to doesn't it. The only thing you'll be laying pipe to is someone's comatose throat.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, you really just made yourself look like a wonderful mature adult. No need for me to say more.

By the way, I'm not a pharmacist, lol. Just interested in the medical field in general, along with the military.

TrojanMan48 said:

I'm a second year PharmD student and I am seriously contemplating air force pharmacy. I grew up with my father as an army officer and my older brother is now a marine and my boyfriend of nearly 3 years is an air force pilot. i love the air force life, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

First, I would like to say that I think it is fantastic that you already taking such a proactive role in researching various means to finance a medical education---and the military is definitely a fantastic option for pharmacists!

I graduated with my Doctor of Pharmacy degree (a professional NOT undergrad degree). I financed my last two years of pharmacy school via a health professions scholarship provided by the Navy. My best friend went a similar route....however, she defected to the Air Force..haha. In all due respect though, military medicine team members are just that---a team. Together, we all work to keep our troops and their loved ones healthy, and share this common goal. It is very disheartening that a forum poster responded so unfavorably towards your request for more information about pharmacy....however, I believe the mantra of the pharmacist needs to be "You won't thank us until you realize you need us." I believe the physician who wrote the prescription to give a patient Lamictal (instead of Lamisil) for a fungal infection that I checked yesterday would agree.

Okay...so I will share my experience thus far with the Navy's program...and a little that I know about my friend's Air Force experience. You can become a Navy pharmacist by one of 5 different ways......
1. Obtain a Navy Pharmacy scholarship...active duty officer.
2. Graduate with your PharmD, then apply for commissioning.
3. Serve as a civilian pharmacist at a military hospital...by direct hire.
4. Serve as a civilian pharmacist at a military hospital...hired by a contractor.
5. Serve as a Naval Reserve pharmacy officer.

As the daughter of a Navy Pharmacy Officer (still active!), I have grown accustomed to the military lifestyle...and knew what benefits the military had to offer. The Navy allows pharmacy students to apply for their scholarship starting in fall of the second professional year (P-2). I was required to submit 5 character references (at least one should be military), an essay, 2 interviews, a security/personal history questionnaire, all college transcripts (at least 3.0 cumulative GPA is necessary for all coursework...however, to be competitive, 3.3-3.4), complete a physical fitness test and complete physical exam (EKG, hearing, blood, vision..the works).

Why did I have to go through all of this? Well, the Navy program does not supply the student with a "scholarship" per se...when accepted, you are enlisted into active duty service..as an E-3 rank. My "scholarship" was actually a paycheck..deposited on the 1st and 15th of every month...including base pay and stipends for food and housing (non-taxable and based on my home area). You are free to do what you choose with this money...I opted to still take out a few subsidized federal loans to aide with my expenses, though the paycheck is definitely sufficient to cover general costs of school.....and is paid to you throughout the summer as well. You are also free to work supplemental jobs (I worked for Walgreen's).

Initially, I was enlisted as an E-3....and made honor roll during my P-3 year...hence was promoted to E-4. Had I recruited another pharmacy student to apply AND be accepted by the program, I would have been promoted to E-5. The best part of the Navy program is that because you are considered "active duty enlisted"--you receive military benefits---I carried an active duty ID card....meaning full medical and dental coverage (And if you are married or have kids...they get the same...but do pay a copay for dental visits), access to military commissaries/exchange, USAA active duty member eligibility--heck, I even went to Busch Gardens for free! By contrast, my friend who went Air Force was not considered a full active duty member, but rather a reserve officer---she only received her full medical for 2 weeks during the summer...and her scholarship was disbursed as a check for the exact cost of her tuition/books and a small stipend for housing/food.

During school,I was required to contact my recruiter once a month, give regular updates as to my health status, personal info (was I leaving the state? any recent doc visits? did I get any speeding tickets?), stay within Navy fitness reqs (BMI, weight/height, body fat %) and complete a fitness test every 6 months (1.5 mile run, situps, push-ups). Also, after each semester I was required to submit a new pharm school transcript, and maintain a GPA of at least 3.0.

Other benefits...the last year of pharmacy school consists of rotations at different types of pharmacy practice sites...I was allowed to arrange an elective in pharmacy administration/pharmacy benefits management with an out of state military hospital. I was able to stay on base for $15/night during the month long rotation, because I was an active duty member. Also, my two years of enlisted service (ie P-3 and P-4 year) are considered as 2 years of prior service--thus I get paid a little more, and will be able to claim 5 years of military service time in the future (2 years of school + I owe 3 years). Essentially, in 18 years, I can retire from the Navy, if I decide to go career military. Also....every year, all active duty Navy service members acquire 30 days of PAID leave time.......those two years have resulted in 60 days of paid vacation time already on the books!

I am incredibly proud to start my career as a pharmacist with the Navy. I am preparing to leave for Officer Indoctrination School this Saturday. The Navy helped me immensely throughout pharmacy school.....I have always appreciated the support my recruitment depot, fellow military scholarship students and Navy pharmacy staff members have provided for me.

Please do send a reply with your email if you would like more info....Hope this information helped!

did you get any sort of sign on bonus? know of any for the air force?