army scholarship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeefan86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted on December 1st and I am paying for dental school myself. With this being said, I am seriously considering doing the army scholarship. I really have no problem joining the military. But I have a few questions. I know they will pay for dental school. However do they pay for it while I am in dental school? Or do they pick up the tab after dental school? Any insight will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

They pay all of your tuition and other fees while you are in dental school, and give you a monthly stipend of ~$2100. It's a good route to go.

I've got a question...where do I find out more info about this scholarship? Army/marine/navy??? Which route to take...I don't know anyone that has done this that's why its soon hard to get information
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP: be sure to get a receipt for everything you buy and read the HPSP Handbook. There are some things the Army does not pay for that you would think they would and there are caps on the amount they are willing to pay for certain supplies. It's all detailed in the HPSP Handbook on the MODS website.

I was accepted on December 1st and I am paying for dental school myself. With this being said, I am seriously considering doing the army scholarship. I really have no problem joining the military. But I have a few questions. I know they will pay for dental school. However do they pay for it while I am in dental school? Or do they pick up the tab after dental school? Any insight will be appreciated.

I just got the scholarship. They do pay for it while in dental school. They also give you 2100 a month and a 2000 sign on bonus. Everyone I have talked to has recommended it to me. It saves you a lot of money in the end. I'm paying for school myself too.

Mc had a small typo, it is a 20,000 sign on bonus. If you already have an acceptance you should make sure you tell that to a recruiter first thing so they don't blow you off. Also, make sure you don't mind spending four years away after dental school. Some people like the prospect of the money a lot and don't actually considering being deployed in four years. Good luck!

I just got the scholarship. They do pay for it while in dental school. They also give you 2100 a month and a 2000 sign on bonus. Everyone I have talked to has recommended it to me. It saves you a lot of money in the end. I'm paying for school myself too.

Did you mean $20,000 bonus? I'm getting mine in August. Keep in mind, it's taxed so you get approx $14,000 after the deductions. If anyone has more questions about the Army HPSP, message me :D

Did you mean $20,000 bonus? I'm getting mine in August. Keep in mind, it's taxed so you get approx $14,000 after the deductions. If anyone has more questions about the Army HPSP, message me :D

Does the army HPSP pay for the dental deposits? My second deposit is due in April. I already payed the first one. Is there any way the army can reimburse me?

Does the army HPSP pay for the dental deposits? My second deposit is due in April. I already payed the first one. Is there any way the army can reimburse me?

No they don't, I asked a few recruiters and they all said the same answer.

Hmmm...maybe things have changed but my deposit was reimbursed. I would check the HPSP handbook to be sure.

I hope this is true because I would like to get back my deposit money.

As for working out the numbers, it makes sense to take the scholarship...

Say your dental education costs you $400K. Now if you took out student loans and made agressive payments for 4 years after dental school, you'll still be left with a balance of about $300K. With the military HPSP, after those 4 years, you'll have zero debt plus about $100K in savings from your officer's pay (can save ~$25K per year). At this point you can take out a loan to start a practice which you maybe reluctant to do with student loans outstanding. Plus, you'll eat well and won't have to worry about pinching pennies while in dschool.

Say your dental education costs you $400K. Now if you took out student loans and made agressive payments for 4 years after dental school, you'll still be left with a balance of about $300K. With the military HPSP, after those 4 years, you'll have zero debt plus about $100K in savings from your officer's pay (can save ~$25K per year). At this point you can take out a loan to start a practice which you maybe reluctant to do with student loans outstanding. Plus, you'll eat well and won't have to worry about pinching pennies while in dschool.

hpsp scholars are known as the "happy" dental students :cool:

nicely said. The dental school which has accepted me is my state school (UMDNJ) which is about 230k for 4 years I believe.

Army HPSP doesn't reimburse for deposits. I tried and got rejected (2011).

nicely said. The dental school which has accepted me is my state school (UMDNJ) which is about 230k for 4 years I believe.

You may want to take out loans if it's only 230K. This debt amount isn't too bad.