Army Veterinary Corps Health Professional Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi!

So this Fall I will be a senior, and will be graduating from undergrad with a dual degree in Pre-Veterinary Medicine and Spanish next spring. GPA is 3.849, as of right now. I have not taken the GRE yet, will be doing that this summer, and will also be applying to vet schools this summer as well. But I was accepted into Tufts Vet School as a sophomore, so I have a spot saved for me for the Fall of 2019, if I decide to go there. I'm not sure if that's where I will attend, depending on where else I get accepted. My question is, since I already have an acceptance letter, should I aim to apply for this September? Or should I wait until next year to apply.

Thank You!

It's my understanding that you apply the summer before beginning vet school. So you should apply next year. This year you will still be in undergrad, so the program isn't applicable to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

So this Fall I will be a senior, and will be graduating from undergrad with a dual degree in Pre-Veterinary Medicine and Spanish next spring. GPA is 3.849, as of right now. I have not taken the GRE yet, will be doing that this summer, and will also be applying to vet schools this summer as well. But I was accepted into Tufts Vet School as a sophomore, so I have a spot saved for me for the Fall of 2019, if I decide to go there. I'm not sure if that's where I will attend, depending on where else I get accepted. My question is, since I already have an acceptance letter, should I aim to apply for this September? Or should I wait until next year to apply.

Thank You!

The way they changed the new board schedule you would want to apply this September. It used to be after you start your first year but now they switched it so you start applying before you start your first year of vet school. If your looking to apply you would want to start chatting with a healthcare recruiter soon.

The way they changed the new board schedule you would want to apply this September. It used to be after you start your first year but now they switched it so you start applying before you start your first year of vet school. If your looking to apply you would want to start chatting with a healthcare recruiter soon.

Every time I try to contact a recruiter, I am told to wait until I begin my first year of vet school. Is there anyone in particular I should contact to get the right information

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I try to contact a recruiter, I am told to wait until I begin my first year of vet school. Is there anyone in particular I should contact to get the right information

Sounds like your local center is uninformed of the change. Or they are not thinking ahead. You can work with my office remotely if you would like or I will get you to someone locally who knows what they are talking about. Either way send me a PM and I can help!

Sounds like your local center is uninformed of the change. Or they are not thinking ahead. You can work with my office remotely if you would like or I will get you to someone locally who knows what they are talking about. Either way send me a PM and I can help!

So just to be clear, undergrads are able to apply even when they still have another year of undergrad to go? If so, I'd like to inform other pre-vets at my school so they're aware of the opportunity.

Hello,
I have two questions. I recently got accepted and will be attending St. George's School of Veterinary Medicine this coming Fall, and was made aware that the HPSP scholarship is not available because it is considered a foreign country.
1) If I stay at St. George's for all of my schooling, will I still be able to be a Veterinarian in the army?
2) If I transfer after my first semester or year to a US school, will I be eligible to receive the HPSP scholarship (2 or 3 year)?

So just to be clear, undergrads are able to apply even when they still have another year of undergrad to go? If so, I'd like to inform other pre-vets at my school so they're aware of the opportunity.

No, you are applying the summer before you start your first year of vet school. So as a senior in undergrad or in a GAP year about to start your first year of vet school with letter of acceptance in hand. Almost confusing my self with this new board schedule!

Last edited:
Hello,
I have two questions. I recently got accepted and will be attending St. George's School of Veterinary Medicine this coming Fall, and was made aware that the HPSP scholarship is not available because it is considered a foreign country.
1) If I stay at St. George's for all of my schooling, will I still be able to be a Veterinarian in the army?
2) If I transfer after my first semester or year to a US school, will I be eligible to receive the HPSP scholarship (2 or 3 year)?

1) Yes, as long as you get your veterinary license to practice in the US you can still join as a direct veterinarian.
2) technically if you transferred after your first year you could apply for the three year scholarship, however because of the way our board dates go that would be difficult to do but I guess it is possible. 2 year scholarships are only available to those who were waitlisted for the three year scholarship.

So if the deadline for transfer applications are anywhere from April-June. How would that work when applying for the scholarship? Wouldn't the deadline for the scholarship already have passed before I knew if I was accepted to another school? Or would I just apply during the summer after my first year?

So if the deadline for transfer applications are anywhere from April-June. How would that work when applying for the scholarship? Wouldn't the deadline for the scholarship already have passed before I knew if I was accepted to another school? Or would I just apply during the summer after my first year?

Right that is the problem, you would have to apply during the summer after your first year. Technically it would still be a three year scholarship and so you would be eligible, it would be a very tight window to get everything done and enrolled in time though.

I see. So it is definitely possible, but will be difficult? Also, when exactly is the deadline for the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you are applying the summer before you start your first year of vet school. So as a senior in undergrad or in a GAP year about to start your first year of vet school with letter of acceptance in hand. Almost confusing my self with this new board schedule!

So @Marinara_x3 you shouldn't apply during this cycle because you still need to complete you senior year of undergrad.

I'm a little confused. So I have been accepted to Tuskegee College of Veterinary Medicine and will begin classes in the Fall. When I reached out to my local recruiter (Raleigh office- NC resident), I was told to reach back out in August. Seems a little last minute especially with the deadline being August 28th. Mind you, they didn't ask for acceptance letter, or any other information, just a very general questionnaire that I had to fill out in order to be placed in contact with my area's recruiter. When do students typically get application materials. I mean with it being such a competitive application cycle, 28 days just doesn't seem like enough time. Any thoughts @Armyhealth ?

I'm a little confused. So I have been accepted to Tuskegee College of Veterinary Medicine and will begin classes in the Fall. When I reached out to my local recruiter (Raleigh office- NC resident), I was told to reach back out in August. Seems a little last minute especially with the deadline being August 28th. Mind you, they didn't ask for acceptance letter, or any other information, just a very general questionnaire that I had to fill out in order to be placed in contact with my area's recruiter. When do students typically get application materials. I mean with it being such a competitive application cycle, 28 days just doesn't seem like enough time. Any thoughts @Armyhealth ?

Normally what your recruiter told you would be the case but they bumped up the board schedule this year so you should be working with a recruiter now. The board used to be in Feb, feel free to private message me and I will get you connected with a local healthcare recruiter.

@Armyhealth How difficult is it to get through the medical pre-screening process with depression and current use of anti-depressants on your record? I have read that can be an automatic disqualification; though sometimes a medical waiver can be obtained. Is that accurate? Thanks!

Normally what your recruiter told you would be the case but they bumped up the board schedule this year so you should be working with a recruiter now. The board used to be in Feb, feel free to private message me and I will get you connected with a local healthcare recruiter.
I am also in the same situation, I was told to check back after my first year of vet school. I messaged you, thanks!

@Armyhealth How difficult is it to get through the medical pre-screening process with depression and current use of anti-depressants on your record? I have read that can be an automatic disqualification; though sometimes a medical waiver can be obtained. Is that accurate? Thanks!

Current use of anti depressants is a disqualifier. It is possible to get a waiver if you have been off of them for 6 months at least and depending on your medical history.

Mine is saying the exact same thing in NC.

Mine is saying the exact same thing in NC.

This new timeline is really throwing off recruiters. They see the timeline and think they need to board you after you start your 1st year (which is how it used to be) however because the board is in August if you wait until after your first year you would already be starting your second year and by the time you had everything done and tuition in it would be Mar-May into your second year. So we have to board you a year out, it is the only way.

Blacksburg (VMCVM) Army Recruiter is agreeing that boards are in August and accepting applications currently

I'm in the same boat. I've contacted 2 separate AMEDD recruiters and they BOTH said call back after school starts.

So, you should complete your application before the August that you begin your first year? The recruiters keep saying that packets will be submitted after your first year.
This new timeline is really throwing off recruiters. They see the timeline and think they need to board you after you start your 1st year (which is how it used to be) however because the board is in August if you wait until after your first year you would already be starting your second year and by the time you had everything done and tuition in it would be Mar-May into your second year. So we have to board you a year out, it is the only way.

So, you should complete your application before the August that you begin your first year? The recruiters keep saying that packets will be submitted after your first year.

Yes, start before your first year. Contact a recruiter now!

I'm trying to maximize my chances of getting the scholarship and so I've been wondering, aside from getting good grades, how should I improve my application? What are they really looking for in applicants? Is it military related shadowing and work they would prefer over leadership roles? What kind of opportunities do successful applicants take advantage of during their first semester of vet school?

I'm trying to maximize my chances of getting the scholarship and so I've been wondering, aside from getting good grades, how should I improve my application? What are they really looking for in applicants? Is it military related shadowing and work they would prefer over leadership roles? What kind of opportunities do successful applicants take advantage of during their first semester of vet school?

I would say the easiest way to make your packet shine is your letters of recommendation and statement of motivation. Each one is it's own category on the ranking system they created. If you can get a letter from another military healthcare officer or officer in general. Any experience is also great, does not have to be specific with military but it does help. Leadership is hard to show in the application since HPSP don't submit a CV but try and get as much as you can in your .12 (statement of motivation)

What year are you planning on entering veterinary school - how much time do you have before you apply for HPSP? The wild card this cycle is how the board date was moved up. Perhaps the recruiter here has had a different experience, but the recruiters I know are having a tough time getting enough interest to have packets done in time for the board date.

I am a current veterinary HPSP student. Several small tidbits of unofficial advice. 1) Have a good relationship with a HEALTHCARE recruiter; they are pretty awesome and have a ton of knowledge about the program. Ask if they have worked with veterinary students. 2) Speak with as many current HPSP students and veterinary corps officers as possible. This may not show up on your application, but it is imperative that you know as much about the roles and requirements of the program, and your best resource is people currently serving. 3) Leadership helps, but you want to really make it clear that you are willing to be an officer in the Army and that you understand what that means. This is done through you letters of recommendation and especially your personal statement.

Also, not sure how they actually rank it in the application, but everyone I know in the program has some form of nuclear family connection to the military. That is not meant to discourage you if you do not have an intimate connection with military service, but rather to emphasize that if you do have a family member who served, embellish that and own it, and show you know what it takes and that you want to serve too.

Reactions: 3 users
What year are you planning on entering veterinary school - how much time do you have before you apply for HPSP? The wild card this cycle is how the board date was moved up. Perhaps the recruiter here has had a different experience, but the recruiters I know are having a tough time getting enough interest to have packets done in time for the board date.

I am a current veterinary HPSP student. Several small tidbits of unofficial advice. 1) Have a good relationship with a HEALTHCARE recruiter; they are pretty awesome and have a ton of knowledge about the program. Ask if they have worked with veterinary students. 2) Speak with as many current HPSP students and veterinary corps officers as possible. This may not show up on your application, but it is imperative that you know as much about the roles and requirements of the program, and your best resource is people currently serving. 3) Leadership helps, but you want to really make it clear that you are willing to be an officer in the Army and that you understand what that means. This is done through you letters of recommendation and especially your personal statement.

Also, not sure how they actually rank it in the application, but everyone I know in the program has some form of nuclear family connection to the military. That is not meant to discourage you if you do not have an intimate connection with military service, but rather to emphasize that if you do have a family member who served, embellish that and own it, and show you know what it takes and that you want to serve too.

Thank you both for the advice. I'm entering vet school this year and have started the process with my recruiter. I'm pretty much done with the exception of MEPS. I was told that there is an interview that follows MEPS. Is this interview a formal one or more of a casual way to ensure that the applicant has the right motivations for joining the vet corps?

Has a specific date been selected for the packets to be due?

Thank you both for the advice. I'm entering vet school this year and have started the process with my recruiter. I'm pretty much done with the exception of MEPS. I was told that there is an interview that follows MEPS. Is this interview a formal one or more of a casual way to ensure that the applicant has the right motivations for joining the vet corps?

Unsure if anything has changed, but there was no interview last year.

I think there has been a specific date but I am unsure of what it is. That is a question for your recruiter.

Board deadline is 28 August, board date is 11-13 September.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'm a soon to be first year vet student at KSU hoping to apply for the scholarship program but am having the worst luck contacting a recruiter. The one who's contact info I was given hasn't responded and when I tried calling my local recruiter, there was no answer and no voice mail. I was wondering if you could help me get the application to apply or start the process?

Hi! I'm a soon to be first year vet student at KSU hoping to apply for the scholarship program but am having the worst luck contacting a recruiter. The one who's contact info I was given hasn't responded and when I tried calling my local recruiter, there was no answer and no voice mail. I was wondering if you could help me get the application to apply or start the process?

Would be glad to help, send me a PM with your details and I will get you a good recruiter.

Hey! I am currently in high school and I am looking at pursuing veterinary school after college. So from what you said I gather you apply before your 1st year of vet school. and get accepted in your 2nd year. So in a 4 year vet course, do you have to pay for 1 year while HPSP pays for the rest? Or is there a 3 year vet track that the HPSP pays for? Does the HPSP pay for the whole course no matter the number of years?
I've also read that you can get a full 4 years if you were ROTC as an undergrad. Is this true?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey! I am currently in high school and I am looking at pursuing veterinary school after college. So from what you said I gather you apply before your 1st year of vet school. and get accepted in your 2nd year. So in a 4 year vet course, do you have to pay for 1 year while HPSP pays for the rest? Or is there a 3 year vet track that the HPSP pays for? Does the HPSP pay for the whole course no matter the number of years?
I've also read that you can get a full 4 years if you were ROTC as an undergrad. Is this true?
Thanks!
Vet schools is a 4 year program, therefore, there are no 3 year vet tracks. The Army only pays for three years, so you have to pay for the 1st. If something happens and you need to repeat a year, you have to pay for your last year too. I've also heard about getting your 4 years paid if you are ROTC as an undergrad, but I don't know if that is still happening. Hope it is, though.

Vet schools is a 4 year program, therefore, there are no 3 year vet tracks. The Army only pays for three years, so you have to pay for the 1st. If something happens and you need to repeat a year, you have to pay for your last year too. I've also heard about getting your 4 years paid if you are ROTC as an undergrad, but I don't know if that is still happening. Hope it is, though.

@Dra. Cula is right on. It is possible to get the 4 years of vet school paid for if you are ROTC but pretty rare. You have to get an approved educational delay approved before you apply to vet school so it is risky as well.

Update, they moved the board date back to 4 December again!
Will we need to send a transcript and a dean’s letter then? At Cornell, classes end on december 15...

Will we need to send a transcript and a dean’s letter then? At Cornell, classes end on december 15...

You won't need a full transcript. They usually accept a screen shot from the portal showing what classes you are enrolled in. You do need a dean's letter though.

Hi there, I am a c/o 2021 vet student. Unfortunately, my medical papers took 9 months to process for some strange reason (submitted 10/2017 and just received confirmation that I could move forward with MEPS in 7/2018). So, despite having the rest of my application completed, my LORs submitted, and everything else necessary, I missed the application deadline because I was unable to get in to MEPS prior to the deadline.

Of course, I was quite disappointed. To further my disappointment, my recruiter then mentioned that the 2-year and 1-year HPSP scholarships were being eliminated and that the Army would just be pulling people off of the prior year's 3-year waitlist. I also heard from a c/o 2022 student that the HPSP deadline has changed from January 2019 to September 2018.

I just wanted to check in to confirm that there is no way for me to apply for a 2-year scholarship at this point?

Thank you for your guidance.

Hi there, I am a c/o 2021 vet student. Unfortunately, my medical papers took 9 months to process for some strange reason (submitted 10/2017 and just received confirmation that I could move forward with MEPS in 7/2018). So, despite having the rest of my application completed, my LORs submitted, and everything else necessary, I missed the application deadline because I was unable to get in to MEPS prior to the deadline.

Of course, I was quite disappointed. To further my disappointment, my recruiter then mentioned that the 2-year and 1-year HPSP scholarships were being eliminated and that the Army would just be pulling people off of the prior year's 3-year waitlist. I also heard from a c/o 2022 student that the HPSP deadline has changed from January 2019 to September 2018.

I just wanted to check in to confirm that there is no way for me to apply for a 2-year scholarship at this point?

Thank you for your guidance.

That is true, the 2 year scholarship goes to our already boarded pool from those not selected to the three year on our own internal wait list. You could join as a direct veterinarian once your six months from graduation if you really want to serve and it does come with 120K in student loan repayment.

@Armyhealth I applied for the HPSP application this fall. I am a first year veterinary student c/o 2022. My recent employers have been reaching out to me saying they are receiving a packet of military/security clearance paperwork in the mail regarding my application. I didn't know about this paperwork so I talked to my recruiter regarding it and he also had no idea about it and said it was atypical.

I am wondering if you have any information regarding why my employers are receiving this paperwork? Is it all my employers I listed or just my most recent? Is it a new protocol for this year's applications or did something specific on my application trigger having this paperwork mailed?

In the mail? That sounds very fishy. Where is the return address? Is there a instructional letter that came with it? I have never heard of anyone getting anything in the mail that has to do with a security clearance before.

In the mail? That sounds very fishy. Where is the return address? Is there a instructional letter that came with it? I have never heard of anyone getting anything in the mail that has to do with a security clearance before.

My employers got the same letter in the mail. It was sent from:
United States Office of Personnel Management
Federal Investigation Processing Center
PO BOX 618
Boyers, PA

It was labeled as an Investigative request, Data and Supervisor Information

Ok, good to know. I had several employers contact me about this and I hadn't previously heard of it so I wasn't sure what to tell them. I'm assuming you just had them fill it out and send it in?

Yes I told them to fill it out as everyone of my references got this in the mail.

@Armyhealth
My references haven’t gotten these packets. Is it time to assume I’ve been eliminated from consideration? I didn’t think any decisions were being made until mid-December.

@Armyhealth
My references haven’t gotten these packets. Is it time to assume I’ve been eliminated from consideration? I didn’t think any decisions were being made until mid-December.

I wouldn't worry about it, this is coming from the security clearance office not the selection committee. Sounds like they are just trying to get the clearance going before the selection.

@Armyhealth

When should we hear back about the decision for the scholarship? I keep hearing mid to late January, but that seems like a long time since boards started Tuesday.

@Armyhealth

When should we hear back about the decision for the scholarship? I keep hearing mid to late January, but that seems like a long time since boards started Tuesday.

It will be at least a couple weeks. With the holiday break coming I would expect Mid Jan as well. The veterinary board and dental corp board is always together so this is one of the biggest ones of the year. Usually pretty slow on the results, last year it was mid Jan.

Hi Armyhealth,

I'm interested in applying for the HPSP, but I wonder how strict the following requirement is:
"Bachelor's degree emphasizing natural sciences"

I am what people call a nontraditional applicant. Basically, someone who graduated with a bachelors in humanities but will have taken the prerequisite natural science courses (e.g., lower and upper division biology, chemistry, physics) after graduation from college. I will have no formal degree emphasizing natural sciences. Will this make me ineligible to apply?