ARNG - exemption from involuntary mobilization w/o MDSSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappiSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. I am in the process of joining the ARNG as an incoming M1 and have been talking to a very knowledgeable recruiter. However, this is one thing I absolutely want to make sure:

If I don't take MDSSP, am I still exempt from involuntary mobilization during medical school and residency? My recruiter told me that there will not be mobilization during med school under any circumstances. But the ARNG exemption memo, which my recruiter sent me, only stated that 1)STRAP recipients 2)AMEDD Officers in GME training and 3)MDSSP participants cannot be mobilized, without mentioning us "regular" med students.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to get pulled out of med school. They don't need you as a junior medical service corp officer which is all you'd be at that point. Same thing as an intern. You can't practice until you finish intern year. After that I think you can't be quite as certain. We aren't exactly in a high op tempo currently so you'd likely be fine, but as a senior resident you could theoretically be useful as a field "surgeon".... The army would be smart to let you finish your training then deploy you. You're much more useful as a board eligible residency trained physician then you are as a brand new intern year only trained physician. Someone else can feel free to correct me if they have different knowledge. Certainly, I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff.

You are exempt as long as you join in a medical student slot (which should be in your commissioning papers). If you are instead sent to training for another military specialty, you can be deployed.