National Guard - Financial Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

treyc

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To preface, I am a 22 year old Alabama resident beginning medical school this July and will be married in April. I am taking the MDSSP and will be commissioning into the Alabama National Guard in the next couple of months. My fiancé and I are looking for housing and trying to come up with some budget plans, so I am trying to get my military pay figured out. I am unsure how this money will be taxed and would appreciate any help or insight from someone with a little more life experience.

According to Armed Forces Health Professions Stipend and Financial Assistance Program Grant the stipend amount is $2,608 effective July 1, 2022.
According to Drill Pay the drill pay for a new O-1 is $463.64 for 2022.

$2,608 + $463.64 = $3,071.64 monthly, before taxes.

What percentage should I expect to be taken from this total?
Is there any information that I have gotten wrong?
Are there any loopholes or services provided by the military that can boost my monthly income from them?
What other advice do you guys have?

I appreciate any help. Thank you so much.