ASCP compendium companion MOLECULAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danaphosaurus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw that this book is available. I was wondering if anyone has seen it and how worthwhile it would be for boards?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, me again.

amazon has some of the pages for preview if you would like to take a look.

i wrote the book more the intention of aiming toward those taking the boards for molecular genetic pathology, residents interested in improving their knowledge of molecular during the residency, and practicing pathologists interested in improving their knowledge of molecular pathology.

it is a bit more detailed than the what is needed for the AP/CP boards.

hope that helps,

Geo

I bought this book and here is my feedback.

- No pics or illustrations. It is all text. However, its text is very well-written and easily read.

- The book focuses on the molecular pathogenesis of dieaseses in general..in all the systems. The text is detailed in some topics but short in others. Some chapters such as neoplastic hematopathology and GI tumors are also very well-written, others are not.

- For the purpose of the Board exams, it is too detailed as you don't need to know the molecular pathoegensis of all the diseases. You need to know the important ones that appear on the exams. If you take, for example, the molecular basis of colorectal carcinoma, this book is the best. Overall, the book is good to get THEORITCAL (not practical) knowledge in the molecular pathogenesis for both AP and CP exams.

-The book is not recommended for molecular diagnostics, which is heavily asked on the CP exams. It wouldn't help you how to interpret gels, FISH, Southern blots..etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought this book and here is my feedback.

- No pics or illustrations. It is all text. However, its text is very well-written and easily read.

- The book focuses on the molecular pathogenesis of dieaseses in general..in all the systems. The text is detailed in some topics but short in others. Some chapters such as neoplastic hematopathology and GI tumors are also very well-written, others are not.

- For the purpose of the Board exams, it is too detailed as you don't need to know the molecular pathoegensis of all the diseases. You need to know the important ones that appear on the exams. If you take, for example, the molecular basis of colorectal carcinoma, this book is the best. Overall, the book is good to get THEORITCAL (not practical) knowledge in the molecular pathogenesis for both AP and CP exams.

-The book is not recommended for molecular diagnostics, which is heavily asked on the CP exams. It wouldn't help you how to interpret gels, FISH, Southern blots..etc.

I think the OP is referring to the companion (the question book) rather than the compendium. The naming of the books could have been a little better and less confusing. I agree with pathoresident that the book (either one) is not geared toward passing the AP/CP board exam, but rather more towards path residents or fellows during a molecular rotation.

Sorry~dose anyone know about the book "ASCP Quick Compendium
COMPANION for Molecular Pathology". It looks like so many questions but i don't know how helpful for the MP exam?~ many thx for the reply:)