This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monti12

ASDOH class of 2026
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was accepted into two schools (ASDOH in AZ and Western in CA) and have done extensive research and still cannot decide where to go. I visited ASDOH in person and loved everything about the program (especially the 4th year externship) but I know I would have a really hard time in that hot of climate (and the school was pretty isolated from things). I went to college close to Pomona California so I would know a little more about what to expect regarding living but overall both programs seem great (with ASDOH being a bit more expensive). Does anyone have any insight? Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i’m in the same position as you with asdoh and another school. i feel the same way about asdoh’s location and climate but otherwise think it’s a great program, it’s such a tough decision.

Agreed! I asked admissions at ASDOH to explain more about the externship and they said that we can pick where we want to go and that there are 4 rotations that are 4-5 weeks each in length which is really neat and would allow me to go back home (I'm from Seattle). I guess if I am inside studying all day climate shouldn't really matter. However I know I was already a little miserable with the California heat in college so this would be a little more intense.

Agreed! I asked admissions at ASDOH to explain more about the externship and they said that we can pick where we want to go and that there are 4 rotations that are 4-5 weeks each in length which is really neat and would allow me to go back home (I'm from Seattle). I guess if I am inside studying all day climate shouldn't really matter. However I know I was already a little miserable with the California heat in college so this would be a little more intense.
do you know if we can stay at the same location for the rotations? i’m from california too and i DIE in the heat! but i really like how asdoh is pass/fail

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked about that too and I do think you have to switch, but they could be within the same organization. For example, WA state has several different Health Point locations so I could stay in WA but move around locations each rotation.

Any update on your decision? I am currently leaning towards ASDOH but still very conflicted.

As of now I think I am going with ASDOH. I just can't get over their program, but the choice is still hard. Hoping you figure it all out!

Hello,

I was accepted into two schools (ASDOH in AZ and Western in CA) and have done extensive research and still cannot decide where to go. I visited ASDOH in person and loved everything about the program (especially the 4th year externship) but I know I would have a really hard time in that hot of climate (and the school was pretty isolated from things). I went to college close to Pomona California so I would know a little more about what to expect regarding living but overall both programs seem great (with ASDOH being a bit more expensive). Does anyone have any insight? Much appreciated!

Basically what you said. Arizona is hotter than Cali. I know couple of people that moved to Cali from Oregon and they love it.

As of now I think I am going with ASDOH. I just can't get over their program, but the choice is still hard. Hoping you figure it all out!
Hello there, I am a low stats applicant (19aa,19ts, 3.17ogpa, 2.97sgpa senior currently) who was granted an interview with asdoh. However, I kinda bombed my KIRA test today and am feeling hopeless at my chances now. I have only received a total of 2 interviews and really want to get into ASDOH. What can I do to stand out on my interview coming up and not become waitlisted?

Hello there, I am a low stats applicant (19aa,19ts, 3.17ogpa, 2.97sgpa senior currently) who was granted an interview with asdoh. However, I kinda bombed my KIRA test today and am feeling hopeless at my chances now. I have only received a total of 2 interviews and really want to get into ASDOH. What can I do to stand out on my interview coming up and not become waitlisted?
Hi, I don't have any magic tricks to share but I know that ASDOH really values giving back to the community and whole patient care. I mentioned that in my interview. I know they also look for someone who is honest and genuine. Be yourself and you will do great! If you don't get in then keep trying! The best choice I ever made was to take time off between college and dental school. I really love ASDOH so far. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Hi, I don't have any magic tricks to share but I know that ASDOH really values giving back to the community and whole patient care. I mentioned that in my interview. I know they also look for someone who is honest and genuine. Be yourself and you will do great! If you don't get in then keep trying! The best choice I ever made was to take time off between college and dental school. I really love ASDOH so far. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
Yes I’ll be sure to emphasis that in my interview next month. How was the MMI portion? More difficult than the actual one on one interview?

Yes I’ll be sure to emphasis that in my interview next month. How was the MMI portion? More difficult than the actual one on one interview?
So sorry for my late reply! I wouldn’t rank it on more or less difficult, but how comfortable you are. I had a lot of clinical experience so the MMI came easier for me but I thought my personality came through more on the one on one. Good luck!