Happy holidays, LizzyM!
1) The only place willing to let me shadow nearby is the children's hospital. I do have a huge interest in pediatrics, so is this sufficient shadowing or do I need to try and contact privately employed physicians?
2) I shadowed the Infectious Disease physician at the children's hospital, who is also Professor of Pediatrics and the Dean of Curriculum at the medical school I want to go to. He offered to write me a letter of recommendation, but it is a year and a half before I will apply. Can I ask for it now and just hang on to a physical copy? I'm not sure how letters of rec work in the application process.
3) Is EMT work looked upon as valuable medical experience, or are they too common to give me an advantage?
4) I know this has been asked in a couple different ways, but I am really only considering one school here in my hometown, because my wife LOVES her job here. It's what she was meant to do, and it is a very unique thing she couldn't do somewhere else. How much should I emphasize this in my interview as one reason why I want to go to this school?
Thanks!
@
Funke
1) Do you feel you know enough about the practice of medicine by shadowing only in a hospital. Do you know what proportion of clinical care is delivered in the ambulatory setting? Are you getting an opportunity to shadow in ambulatory care clinics in both primary care and specialty care or only on the hospital wards? You need to be sure you know enough about a career in pediatrics to know that you would be happy doing that work. Do you know enough having shadowed only in a children's hospital?
2) What has he seen you do? If all he can really say is that you show up on time, appear to have bathed, and stand as quietly as a shadow, then you don't have much of a recommendation. If he has had you do little things (fetching or carrying -- not clinical things) or showed you how to read an x-ray or a TB test and then had you do the next one while he watched and commented to you then the letter my have a bit more substance.
You could thank him now and let him know that you will be in touch. then stay in touch by email updating him ever 4-6 months about what you've been doing. When the time comes, ask him to submit his letter about you to the AMCAS file. you will have stayed in touch so the letter will say that he met you x years ago and that you were with him shadowing and that you have subsequently stayed in touch. It will be a recent letter rather than a stale one written by someone who had only known you for a short time.
3) Working as an EMT is a big plus. Just doing the training & not using it does not help at all. (Not that you were asking; I'm just saying.)
4) Why should a school care that your wife loves her job and couldn't do her job anywhere else. With as many applicants as they have for that school, are you such a hot prospect that they should want to hear that you really want to go there. Will that increase the likelihood that they will offer you admission? Might they fear that you would pick a "better" (higher ranked, cheaper, whatever) school over their school unless they knew how much you really needed to be admitted there?
At first I couldn't quite put myself in your shoes but then I imagined a city like Albany NY with only one med school and, perhaps, jobs in State politics/government that just wouldn't be transferable elsewhere. So, how I'd play this if my spouse had a job that tied me to the region and I really needed to be admitted to one specific school would be to emphasize in the interview that I like specific things about the school and why the school is a good fit for my learning style, my experiences, the type of medical practice I want to have (academic, primary care, etc), and that I just love the ___ area and my spouse and I have put down roots here and we have a support network here of family and/or friends and it would be ideal for me to establish myself here as a medical student and later as a physician. That might work!