Asking for genuine advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBT1995

Patentductusarteriosus
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I just finished 3rd year foreign medical school (here it’s 7 years of medical school). I am a permanent resident so I can’t stay out of the US for more than 6 months. But I am left with 3 years of medical school. I am currently thinking about moving back to the US and start undergraduate school and then do medicine from scratch. What is the best thing to do...to finish medicine here or go back to US and start from scratch. A genuine advice would be greatly appreciated. Ty.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but that sounds like a horrible idea that will age you 10 years and get you into $500,000 of debt if you ever finish school. If you are struggling in your home country, don’t think it will be easier abroad. Medical school in the US is competitive, and I am truly concerned that you would not even get in.

If you can get to graduation, do you get to practice in your current country?

If so, stay and finish. Take the usmle and see how it goes

Members don't see this ad :)
What is "LPR"? If you are a permanent resident, you may risk losing your green card if you are out of the US for 6.5 years. Which country are you currently in? Is it the same country where you were originally from?

I highly recommend you stop this dream of being a doctor in the USA.

If you cannot be a good doctor in the country where you are at, then you will not be a doctor here. Do not waste your time and money to come to this country to undergrad.

STUDY hard and do your best. You can do well where you are now! Stay where you are and work hard and you will become a great doctor where you are! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't think you have a shot of getting in a us med school starting from scratch. You'd be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt trying.

I am sorry, but that sounds like a horrible idea that will age you 10 years and get you into $500,000 of debt if you ever finish school. If you are struggling in your home country, don’t think it will be easier abroad. Medical school in the US is competitive, and I am truly concerned that you would not even get in.
If you can get to graduation, do you get to practice in your current country?

If so, stay and finish. Take the usmle and see how it goes
Yes
What is "LPR"? If you are a permanent resident, you may risk losing your green card if you are out of the US for 6.5 years. Which country are you currently in? Is it the same country where you were originally from?
I am in Ethiopia which is my country of origin. I have 3 yrs left with med school here.

Last edited: